E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Drying the 335i

10-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Drying the 335i

What are you thoughts and opinions of using a Micro Absorber Towel? I've been using one for awhile because it works really well, but is it going to damage the paint over time?
My car is Jet Black

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...85001498lg.jpg
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #2
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

That's what I use...and if you see my recent thread on swirls and how I am working on taking them then you know it is then important to keep them out. I have found as long as you keep it really clean it does not make swirls. I have been using the sheeting method first for drying and then gently move the absorber around...more like drag it around. The thing works really good.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #3
Jaronbwall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
That's what I use...and if you see my recent thread on swirls and how I am working on taking them then you know it is then important to keep them out. I have found as long as you keep it really clean it does not make swirls. I have been using the sheeting method first for drying and then gently move the absorber around...more like drag it around. The thing works really good.
That's good news. Its easy to keep clean since there sold in plastic container case. It also keeps moisture in the container so it can't dry out.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
Hokie_BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

I'm personally not a fan of those. I prefer a plush drying towel like the Dry me crazy or a waffle weave one like the guzzler or ones from The Rag Company. They're safer on perfectly polished paint imo.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #5
Jaronbwall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie_BMW View Post
I'm personally not a fan of those. I prefer a plush drying towel like the Dry me crazy or a waffle weave one like the guzzler or ones from The Rag Company. They're safer on perfectly polished paint imo.
Do you have a link to something like that? I follow Larry at AMMO NYC and he uses microfiber towels to dry. His towels are expensive and the ones I've seen at Autozone/ Advanced Auto suck.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarronbwall
Quote:
Do you have a link to something like that? I follow Larry at AMMO NYC and he uses microfiber towels to dry. His towels are expensive and the ones I've seen at Autozone/ Advanced Auto suck.
I use a MF spritzed with a Quick Detailer (Griot's Speed Shine, but any decent brand will do). I've yet to find a simpler way to dry that is as safe and affective. Sheeting the water off prior makes it easier.

Also, I would stay way from those types of drying towels mentioned by OP. They're not as forgiving as MF. Walmart sells a two pack of very soft MF towels that are white on one side and grey on the other. I like them a lot and for $10 it's not a terrible price.

I like watching Larry's videos, but I would never by his products. Over priced with mediocre results.
      10-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
Jaronbwall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig13 View Post
I use a MF spritzed with a Quick Detailer (Griot's Speed Shine, but any decent brand will do). I've yet to find a simpler way to dry that is as safe and affective. Sheeting the water off prior makes it easier.

Also, I would stay way from those types of drying towels mentioned by OP. They're not as forgiving as MF. Walmart sells a two pack of very soft MF towels that are white on one side and grey on the other. I like them a lot and for $10 it's not a terrible price.

I like watching Larry's videos, but I would never by his products. Over priced with mediocre results.
Exactly!! I'll check out walmart for the microfiber towels. I'll use the blue Absorber for windows only
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

I use the Waffle Weave Microfiber towels for drying (also available in 3 pack or 10 pack).

I too recommend sheeting the majority of the water off of your vehicle, and then spritzing the towel and panel with a quality quick detailer for added lubrication while drying. My absolute favorite is Meguiar's D156.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
Hokie_BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Here's the Dry me Crazy http://www.carpro-us.com/microfiber-...crazy-25-x-17/

And the waffle weave like DetailedImage posted above will be fine. Definitely sheet the water off first before trying to dry with any towel. Using a drying aid like D156 or Aquawax will do wonders for preventing water spots as well if you're washing in the sun. It'll also leave behind a nice little layer of temporary protection.

They are expensive but after you spend 10 hours polishing your car and the first time you wash and dry it you scratch it and marr it up from a crappy drying towel, you'll wish you had spent the extra money on a quality towel. I would also recommend picking up at least 2 drying towels. Also don't wash them with normal microfiber towels with wax residue and such on them!

Check out Autogeek if you want more info. Lots of good stuff there.

Also if you are really wanting to get into detailing and such, I'd highly recommend getting some quality microfiber towels. Check out www.theragcompany.com Lots of good quality products there and they're pretty cheap as well! Nice microfiber towels will prevent micro-scratching of your paint and will overall be safer to use.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Here's the Dry me Crazy http://www.carpro-us.com/microfiber-...crazy-25-x-17/

And the waffle weave like DetailedImage posted above will be fine. Definitely sheet the water off first before trying to dry with any towel. Using a drying aid like D156 or Aquawax will do wonders for preventing water spots as well if you're washing in the sun. It'll also leave behind a nice little layer of temporary protection.

They are expensive but after you spend 10 hours polishing your car and the first time you wash and dry it you scratch it and marr it up from a crappy drying towel, you'll wish you had spent the extra money on a quality towel. I would also recommend picking up at least 2 drying towels. Also don't wash them with normal microfiber towels with wax residue and such on them!

Check out Autogeek if you want more info. Lots of good stuff there.

Also if you are really wanting to get into detailing and such, I'd highly recommend getting some quality microfiber towels. Check out www.theragcompany.com Lots of good quality products there and they're pretty cheap as well! Nice microfiber towels will prevent micro-scratching of your paint and will overall be safer to use.
+2 on the sheeting method. I only learned about this recently and it helps immensely in cutting down the time you have to "touch" the car. For years I used a squeegee and then a not always so clean absorber and now I am paying the price taking swirls out.
      10-17-2015, 02:40 AM   #11
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
I use the Waffle Weave Microfiber towels for drying (also available in 3 pack or 10 pack).

I too recommend sheeting the majority of the water off of your vehicle, and then spritzing the towel and panel with a quality quick detailer for added lubrication while drying. My absolute favorite is Meguiar's D156.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
You guys sell them in 3 packs and 10 packs now? That's awesome. I was coming here to recommend these towels. I have Absorbers gathering dust ever since I picked up WW towels.
Appreciate 1