E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Warning light help/advice *update 13/11*

09-29-2015, 06:43 AM   #1
paulf61
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 320d coupe

Warning light help/advice *update 13/11*

Hi all,

Was driving my E92 320d on a 40 min journey from Wellingborough to Bedford on Sunday evening, overtook a slow moving vehicle and one of the following warning lights came on:

I'm not sure which one it was (I think it was the half coloured one but can't be 100%) but the vehicle seemed to loose power, almost like it had gone into some sort of safe mode (?).

I got to my destination, switched the engine off, left it for 10 mins and started it again and the warning light did not come back on and hasn't come back on again since. However, I can't help feeling that the car feels less powerful/unresponsive than before (may be just my mind playing tricks on me) and also there's a horrible smell coming through the interior vents (like a burnt oil smell).

My theory was that there was just a buildup of stuff in the DPF or exhaust system and the overtake has cleared it out but just thought i'd get some advice on here to reassure that I've not done any damage or there's any underlying problem somewhere.

Paul

Last edited by paulf61; 11-13-2015 at 07:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 06:50 AM   #2
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Get it into a dealer or any garage that can read the codes.
      09-29-2015, 08:40 AM   #3
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Best get it checked out Paul, I'm looking at a 2.0 X3 diesel as I speak lost power when we've checked the inlet impeller dances around the housing like a break dancer and its deposited oil in the inlet. And this was sudden sadly on the 320d's turbo failure is well versed and usually happens without the drivers knowledge. If you can smell oil the above could of happened

An EML light can of course come on for a number of other reasons as well all I can say is if in doubt get it checked as soon as possible if going back to a turbo this proves to be the case then obvious answer is do not drive as you can pump oil through the system contaminate the DPF causing more expense

Last edited by old grey steve; 09-30-2015 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 07:11 AM   #4
paulf61
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 320d coupe

So it appears things have developed further following my post above..

I've not been using the car much due to working away, however over the past week I have noticed that the car idle's really horribly and shakes when idling or sat in traffic..

Yesterday when pulling off in 1st gear, it felt like it was going to stall but didn't.. Then (fortunately) a few hundred yards from home the car died, one of the EML symbols came on (pics in my first post). Ended up pushing the car to my house and left it for a few hours. Spoke to a very close friend who's a mechanic who suggested I bring the vehicle over for him to look at, went to start the car, started fine then about half a mile down the road it died on me again (when pulling away from a roundabout). I then waited for my friend to come over who towed me to his garage.

Currently left my car with him so he can investigate, will await to see what the problem and most importantly how much it's going to cost to fix.

Seems like my Friday the 13th came a day early for me (boiler broken at home too!)

I'll update once further information comes to light..

Paul
Appreciate 0