E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Buying non heated rear seats to replace my heated rear seats. Question.

09-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #1
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Buying non heated rear seats to replace my heated rear seats. Question.

I have upgraded to an X6 which has half leather and half alcantara leathers which im not a fan of really. I always wanted light colour leather in a dark car.

my car has heated seats all round including the back and I have found some replacements leathers I like but only the front are heated and not the back.

Is there anyway to swap anything or do something to make the new leather i am buying heated at the back?

somebody mentioned taking the leather covers off but apparently it needs to be done properly etc. its only on the rear bench which consists of 2 seats as the centre as a console in at the back

have asked the question on the X6 forum but its not as lively as here.

if anybody knows any info I would appreciate it

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
imy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M140i

Xdrivers.co.uk will know for definite.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
I have upgraded to an X6 which has half leather and half alcantara leathers which im not a fan of really. I always wanted light colour leather in a dark car.

my car has heated seats all round including the back and I have found some replacements leathers I like but only the front are heated and not the back.

Is there anyway to swap anything or do something to make the new leather i am buying heated at the back?

somebody mentioned taking the leather covers off but apparently it needs to be done properly etc. its only on the rear bench which consists of 2 seats as the centre as a console in at the back

Thanks
Sorry off topic, but what's your verdict on the X6?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imy
Xdrivers.co.uk will know for definite.
Thanks will have a look
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #5
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ao1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post

Thanks
Sorry off topic, but what's your verdict on the X6?
I love it. Its got a huge spec on it which is what drawn me into buying it. Its the 35d so its got enough power and i average around 21mpg around town. On a run only around 26ish which isnt great. X5 dont appeal to me too much as i can see the oldershape too much in them but they are coming down alot so its alot of car for the money

Is there anything in depth you want to know about them? Ive had it for around 3 months now and done about 4-5k in it
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 03:16 AM   #6
mr_mason
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 Sport plus

i can only speak from experience with heated seats in other marques so may be a little off the mark, however....

usually there is a pad beneath the trim that contains the heating element. The trim on both seats will need removing and the heating element transferred to the new leather. That is of course on the basis that non heated seats have the ability to receive the heating element. I have had it in the past where the new seats required a new, aftermarket heating pad due to no space being available for the standard pad, the draw back with that being that you lose the variable heating level as after market heating pads i have had in the past only allow an off/on function.

although i consider myself handy with a screw driver, i have gone to a re-trimming company on each occasion to do the work, as removing and re-fitting the seat trim can be problematic.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #7
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

if you take a trimmers both seats, they should be able to sort it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
I'm sure a decent trimmer would sort it. John at Bespoke Leathering in Sutton Coldfield is my recommendation. Have used him a couple of times before and he's been excellent.

http://www.bespokeleathering.com/
Appreciate 0