E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > AP vs ST X Coilovers - clearance advice please

09-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

AP vs ST X Coilovers - clearance advice please

Hi all,

I'm on the verge of ordering either of these coilovers. They are both made by KW.

I have spoken with KW who confirm that the ST X is essentially a KW V1 coilover with the exception of the INOX corrosion resistant coating. Internally and design wise, it's the same.

They have also told me the AP's are not the same as the V1, but instead these use the same technology / design as their now discontinued Wietec brand.

I'm leaning towards the ST X's simply as they sound like the better of the two options with them being pretty much KW V1's.

I have a 10% discount code from PayPal so I can get the ST's for £470 delivered from Germany!

One thing that concerns me though is the notes allegedly state a 5mm spacer may be needed to clear the wheels (based on OEM fitment) and I have much wider wheels / lower offsets fitted than stock.

My wheel & tyre set up is:

225/35/19 - 19x8.5 ET38
255/30/19 - 19x9.5 ET33

Do you think the wheels will clear the coilovers without the need for any spacer? I don't want to buy them if I need spacers!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

a lot will depend on the shape of the tyres, as well as the offset and width of the wheels. It will also vary depending on the ride height you run.

If you look at pics of the KW coilovers, the spring platform (at its lowest position) sits a bit lower down the body than the fixed platform on factory shocks. So it follows that tyre issues might occur, but there are so many variables its quite hard to give you a solid yes/no.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 03:07 AM   #3
mr_mason
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 Sport plus

a lower offset will push the wheels further out towards the arch lip so you may be fine.

do you know the width and offset of the standard wheels you had fitted before the 19's went on?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
a lot will depend on the shape of the tyres, as well as the offset and width of the wheels. It will also vary depending on the ride height you run.

If you look at pics of the KW coilovers, the spring platform (at its lowest position) sits a bit lower down the body than the fixed platform on factory shocks. So it follows that tyre issues might occur, but there are so many variables its quite hard to give you a solid yes/no.
Yeh I believe its the risk of the tyre hitting the spring - I guess it may just depend on how low you wind them down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mason View Post
a lower offset will push the wheels further out towards the arch lip so you may be fine.

do you know the width and offset of the standard wheels you had fitted before the 19's went on?
My new set up compared to the OEM 18" wheels look like this:

Fronts are 10.4mm closer to suspension strut and they poke 2.3mm closer to arch

Rears are 8.7mm closer to the suspension strut and they poke 16.7mm closer to arch
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 02:50 AM   #5
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I think it may be tight if they have already stated it. I know when I fitted the KW V3's to the 135i the rims were literally about 2mm away from the shock body.

Even though you have a lower offset the extra width of the rim can still mean it is closer to the shock body (as you've stated with your 10.4mm closer).

Only real way to tell is to put the steering on full lock on level ground and physically check where your rim currently sits compared to the shock body. This will give you a good indication as to the sort of space you have to play with. If it's currently a good 10mm away from the shock body then in theory you shouldn't have too much of an issue as the position of the new coilover body won't be much thicker than the OE one.

Of course it also depends where the spring perch will be seated when you have it at the desired location (however in most instances the perch sits higher that the tyre height).

All the cars I have modded and coilovers/suspension I have fitted to them and others I have never had an actual issue EXCEPT one and that was my H&R coilovers on my Corrado. The spring perch was low enough that the tyre was basically sat against the lowest coil of the spring - not good). BUT that was like 18 years ago....lol.

Sorry probably hasn't been the post to give a definitive answer.

Oh I use willtheyfit.com to work out wheel positions etc.