E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > juddering noise, clutch? Release Bearing?

09-21-2015, 02:32 AM   #1
lifeofjono
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 2012

juddering noise, clutch? Release Bearing?

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help me pin down what this is?

Basically when I'm putting the clutch down whilst moving its does this short almost rubbery/springy sounding quick 'duh-duh-duh' type noise, most noticeable in 1st/2nd and reverse, I believe it possibly does it at the higher gears too but is drowned out by engine noise. Can feel when it does it in the pedal slightly too. Mainly I mainly notice it when coming to stop at lights or parking. in the cabin it almost sounds like its coming from the passenger side of the engine bay.

However if while I'm driving I push the brakes first and use clutch whilst holding brakes for the initial clutch push down this reduces it or eliminates it completely? Its mainly noticeable in quick gear changes if I just push the clutch down on its own.

If stationary in neutral and just pushing clutch the noise isn't there however there is an slight increase in general noise as I bring clutch up slowly but I believe this is normal. However if its in neutral then surely it shouldn't matter what clutch is doing no? forgive me if wrong, not overly technically minded.

Is this the clutch going or possible the clutch release bearing?
Also I don't know if this is just in my head or not but sometimes I feel like the biting point on the car can be variable at times if only slight.

Background on car
2006 pre-lci 320i e90 just passed over 35000 miles

Previously had the clicking sound on differential when pulling off/slowing down however took this to bmw who said the joint between diff needed greasing ( under warranty but they wanted £600 to do it as no parts were getting changed and was labour still charged me £100 for info i already knew ) So got an indy to do this instead which did solve the clicking problem but that was when i noticed this one but i think this was there all along but was masked under clicking sound.

I don't think anything is going to break or stop working as such but Its like water torture driving me crazy atm. Currently turning up music to hide it but conscious its still there and sure it can be heard louder outside the car. Tried searching forums for something similar but all other clutch judder type threads are a diff problem.

Help?

Last edited by lifeofjono; 09-21-2015 at 02:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 02:09 AM   #2
lifeofjono
Private
Rep

update:

was driving back from work yest and parking up at home, put the car in neutral and brought up the clutch slowly and sounded worse now, further research leads me to believe its the dual mass flywheel, I have the bmw warranty however i get the feeling that if it take it to them they are going to claim its the clutch which i imagine wouldn't be covered (however its only done 35000 miles so surely i could argue that its not fair wear and tear as a clutch should last more miles than that?)
Just dont want to get stung £100 for them to tell me this.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 04:23 AM   #3
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Sounds like what mine was doing, 2008 E92 with 80k miles on the clock. Clutch and dual mass was replaced under AUC warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 04:51 AM   #4
lifeofjono
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by un1eash View Post
Sounds like what mine was doing, 2008 E92 with 80k miles on the clock. Clutch and dual mass was replaced under AUC warranty.
did this resolve the issue? How long after the purchase did this happen? I suppose they kinda were obligation to do the clutch aswell if you purchased from them. my car was from private sale so don't know if they'll do the clutch aswell or try charge me for that.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 05:55 AM   #5
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Mine was a couple weeks after purchase. The gear knob would vibrate excessively in neutral and when dipping the clutch there was a judder at the end of travel that could be felt through the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 06:34 AM   #6
lifeofjono
Private
Rep

ah yeah, in your case its pretty clear cut the onus would be on them to replace it.
Appreciate 0