E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > first time 3

09-18-2015, 04:50 AM   #1
RU54HEL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320ed

first time 3

hi guys, posted a couple of times but not said hello yet........ so hello everyone, bought a 320ed a couple of months ago {moving from 10 years Veedub ownership} drawn to the rear wheel drive in honesty and finally realising that a bigger car {4 door} suited the family better lol, and i'm really loving it, but a couple of months on i'm slowly starting to question a few items / spec on the car that obviously didn't see when I picked up the car initially, not that I ever wanted a fully loaded car but a couple of subtle aids to make motoring more enjoyable, i'm all up for retro fitting where possible but the searches bring up so many covered topics that its hard to put my finger on one applicable to what i'm after, so i'll try to cover the topics through this introduction thread if the right people can point me in the right direction / link here, anyway I lookforward to chatting to you all at somepoint in the future.

cheers Russ

Last edited by RU54HEL; 10-30-2015 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

You'll have to tell us what spec you've got & what you're interested in before anyone can you advice!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
+1

what sort of retrofits are you thinking about? I've done a couple myself.
      09-21-2015, 07:04 AM   #4
RU54HEL
Enlisted Member
Rep

hi guys, sorry only get chance to post when I'm in work on checking the spec released with the car through the vin it has basic spec but some items that I cant work out what or where they are using Google and I can upload the link as my i.t security net in here wont allow {so I'll try and do it from home when I can / in the hope you maybe able to shed some light} but basically I'd like to fit electric folding mirrors maybe with drop mirrors when you engage reverse if it can be done? want to upgrade the head unit to usb/Bluetooth professional so all steering wheel functions work and I can run a iPod and or stream from my android {one of the possible contradictions I've found in manufacture spec}, would like to fit auto dip beam lights possible full beam assist / not interested in day time running lights to be honest {another one of the possible contradictions I've found in manufacture spec}, would like to change the rear bench so I can have rear arm rest and hatch to the boot from inside, and anyway to quieten the engine noise although pretty much it to be honest other than just keeping in top working order, thanks for any help in advance
Russ
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #5
RU54HEL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU54HEL View Post
hi guys, sorry only get chance to post when I'm in work on checking the spec released with the car through the vin it has basic spec but some items that I cant work out what or where they are using Google and I can upload the link as my i.t security net in here wont allow {so I'll try and do it from home when I can / in the hope you maybe able to shed some light} but basically I'd like to fit electric folding mirrors maybe with drop mirrors when you engage reverse if it can be done? want to upgrade the head unit to usb/Bluetooth professional so all steering wheel functions work and I can run a iPod and or stream from my android {one of the possible contradictions I've found in manufacture spec}, would like to fit auto dip beam lights possible full beam assist / not interested in day time running lights to be honest {another one of the possible contradictions I've found in manufacture spec}, would like to change the rear bench so I can have rear arm rest and hatch to the boot from inside, and anyway to quieten the engine noise although pretty much it to be honest other than just keeping in top working order, thanks for any help in advance
Russ
so managed to get chance from home / see attached spec sheet

Order options
No. Description
230 EU SPECIFIC ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT
302 ALARM SYSTEM
423 FLOOR MATS, VELOUR
428 WARNING TRIANGLE
431 INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-D
441 SMOKERS PACKAGE
470 CHILD SEAT ISOFIX ATTACHMENT
507 PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC)
534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
563 LIGHTS PACKAGE
663 RADIO BMW PROFESSIONAL
694 PREPARATION FOR CD CHANGER
698 AREA-CODE 2
SC COUNTRY SPEC. RELEASE OF TELESERVICE
SM VIN, VISIBLE FROM OUTSIDE
SP COP CONTROL
S2 CODING OF ALARM SIGNAL
S3 AUTOMATIC LOCK WHEN DRIVING AWAY
TG ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM
TL DAYTIME LIGHTS FRONT AND REAR AKTIV
TM DAYTIME DRIVING LIGHTS ON ENGINE ST
812 ENGLAND VERSION
850 ADD FUEL TANK FILLING FOR EXPORT
877 DELETION CROSS-OVER OPERATION
880 ENGLISH / ON-BOARD DOCUMENTATION
Series options
No. Description
2AT 16"LM WHEELS STREAMLINE STYLE 306
240 LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
249 MULTI-FUNCTION FOR STEERING WHEEL
321 EXTERIOR PARTS IN BODY COLOR
4CG INT.STRIP SATINSILVER
520 FOGLIGHTS
853 LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH

is there anyway I can permanently turn off stop start ?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 04:00 AM   #6
RU54HEL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
+1

what sort of retrofits are you thinking about? I've done a couple myself.
hey man can you help me out with the following retrofits:

*electric folding mirrors maybe with drop mirrors when you engage reverse
*upgrade the head unit to usb/Bluetooth professional so all steering wheel functions work and I can run a iPod and or stream from my android {one of the possible contradictions I've found in manufacture spec}
*auto dip beam lights possible full beam assist / not interested in day time running lights to be honest {another one of the possible contradictions I've found in manufacture spec}
*change the rear bench so I can have rear armrest with twin cup holders and hatch to the boot from inside
*anyway to quieten the engine noise
*halo/dip & main beam upgrade to bright white
*Disable stop / start
*uprated black cloth front seats

Last edited by RU54HEL; 09-24-2015 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 05:35 AM   #7
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Quote:
*upgrade the head unit to usb/Bluetooth professional so all steering wheel functions work and I can run a iPod and or stream from my android {one of the possible contradictions I've found in manufacture spec}
This is pretty easy, just buy a later head unit with bluetooth and jam it in. Buy the USB connection for the console and a cable and it all just plugs in.
Quote:
*auto dip beam lights possible full beam assist / not interested in day time running lights to be honest {another one of the possible contradictions I've found in manufacture spec}
Personally i just leave my lights on all the time. My car has auto-lights, but i much prefer keeping them on. Gives the added visibility of DRL's without looking like a fanny.
Quote:
*change the rear bench so I can have rear arm rest and hatch to the boot from inside
rear bench is just a streight swap really, find a suitable bench seat on ebay and swap it out.
Quote:
*anyway to quieten the engine noise
Doubt it.
Quote:
*halo/dip & main beam upgrade to bright white
Various companies sell LED halo ring upgrades. If you have halogen headlamps theres no decent way to make the dip and main beam bulbs "bright white". There are HID conversion kits but they're bloody awful in reflector headlamps and blind everyone coming the other way. The only decent option would be a full HID retrofit using proper BMW Xenon headlamps, but this isnt cheap.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 06:15 AM   #8
RU54HEL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
Various companies sell LED halo ring upgrades. If you have halogen headlamps theres no decent way to make the dip and main beam bulbs "bright white". There are HID conversion kits but they're bloody awful in reflector headlamps and blind everyone coming the other way. The only decent option would be a full HID retrofit using proper BMW Xenon headlamps, but this isnt cheap.
I emailed HorizonLEDs about full upgrade set a few days ago but no heard back yet, don't think I have xenon so just wanted to get whiter bulbs for the front end really.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 06:55 AM   #9
RU54HEL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
This is pretty easy, just buy a later head unit with bluetooth and jam it in. Buy the USB connection for the console and a cable and it all just plugs in.
suggestion / best place to get top spec professional unit ?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #10
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

My brother got his on ebay or some guys on the forum like makkan usually have them.

Just be careful and ensure you get the proper late spec unit, it should say bluetooth on a sticker on top of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 06:46 AM   #11
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Disabling stop/start is easy with NCSExpert. You modify the MSA_MEMORY from nicht_aktiv to aktiv.
      09-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #12
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

My frd has a headunit with bluetooth in for sale
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #13
jammy78
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Quote:
suggestion / best place to get top spec professional unit ?

It's not just a case of buying the radio, you'll need:

Hands free mic
Wiring (mic to back of radio)
Usb socket
Usb lead (socket to back of the radio).

I have one of these radios for sale - £300
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #14
Leah1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport

Put 300ml to a tank of diesel of Low ash 2 stroke oil to quieten down engine works a treat
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 03:16 AM   #15
RU54HEL
Enlisted Member
Rep

is there a definitive listing of interchangeable parts between the models anywhere on here guys ? or someone can give me a link for ? and a recommended place that people go retailers / breakers??
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 04:05 AM   #16
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Your best best is looking on realoem to see if a part fits one or more different models.
      09-30-2015, 04:23 AM   #17
RU54HEL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Your best best is looking on realoem to see if a part fits one or more different models.
cheers man
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #18
RU54HEL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I emailed HorizonLEDs about full upgrade set a few days ago but no heard back yet, don't think I have xenon so just wanted to get whiter bulbs for the front end really.
How do I find out which halo type to get for my car, getting a bit envious of the new 3 and 4 series that I pass on the way to and from work every day, want that crisp white halo instead of the dim in comparison orange halos currently?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 03:13 AM   #19
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
How do I find out which halo type to get for my car, getting a bit envious of the new 3 and 4 series that I pass on the way to and from work every day, want that crisp white halo instead of the dim in comparison orange halos currently?
horizonLEDs will tell u if you tell them what car and lights you got
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 06:17 AM   #20
RU54HEL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
horizonLEDs will tell u if you tell them what car and lights you got
I PM'd him but no answer a few weeks back, anyone know if he's on holiday or something??
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 06:43 AM   #21
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
I PM'd him but no answer a few weeks back, anyone know if he's on holiday or something??
have you read there thread? they don't come on here often so he says to email him at his email address
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 06:46 AM   #22
RU54HEL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
have you read there thread? they don't come on here often so he says to email him at his email address
oh sound cheers i'll get on it, thanks for the heads up
Appreciate 0