E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Anyone seen or used this; Engine Carbon Clean?

09-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Anyone seen or used this; Engine Carbon Clean?

This popped up on my FaceBook feed earlier. http://www.enginecarbonclean.com

The reviews all looked good but they always do!

After a bit of reading the principle seems to be injection of a fine water based mist or "Hydrogen technology" as it's referred to!

It sounds like it may help with carbon build up but I'd be sceptical as to where the build up goes and how good 30 minutes of misted water into the intake can be for the engine.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I like it because it is solvent free but it would never hit the back of the valves and clean that area. There is only so much it can do. I'm no rocket scientist but I doubt it would break the carbon down to a level where it would be safely removed. Sometimes as you know these cleaners can dislodge large pieces of carbon and become more trouble than they are worth. My two pence worth. A good old Italian tune up where you can safely do so is good for cleaning as are safer methods such as walnut blasting. Personally I wouldn't look into that unless I was at 60k miles and had been making a lot of short trips. If I was on the motorway daily for example then I doubt I'd be a victim of it unless I was using cheap fuel.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Not sure about you NA guys, but this definitely will not work for us DI turbo guys. I've had the manual carbon cleaning service done, and after seeing how dense and sticky build up is and talking to the tech, the only way to rid the N54/55 is through good ole fashion elbow grease.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
Len_Beach
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox
I like it because it is solvent free but it would never hit the back of the valves and clean that area. There is only so much it can do. I'm no rocket scientist but I doubt it would break the carbon down to a level where it would be safely removed. Sometimes as you know these cleaners can dislodge large pieces of carbon and become more trouble than they are worth. My two pence worth. A good old Italian tune up where you can safely do so is good for cleaning as are safer methods such as walnut blasting. Personally I wouldn't look into that unless I was at 60k miles and had been making a lot of short trips. If I was on the motorway daily for example then I doubt I'd be a victim of it unless I was using cheap fuel.
In theory it should hit the back of the valves as it is injected into the inlet.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 12:38 AM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

AmD in Surrey offer a de-coke service... I had it done on my s3 many years ago... north of £300 but worth it. That could be another option. That way you know the carbon is definitely out and not have to run this risk of it floating around elsewhere...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 03:15 AM   #6
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Can't see how injecting '...a small amount of hydrogen...' will ever remove what walnut blasting does. I'll await Old Grey Steve's comments for a definitive view...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #7
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I looked at the site but it seems full of fluff, no real concrete evidence of how it works.

It sounds too much like snake oil to me. If they actually took pictures of the intake ports for example before and after treatment and it showed a noticeable improvement then I would revise my opinion.

Until then, it's walnut blasting for me.
      09-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #8
Len_Beach
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh
I looked at the site but it seems full of fluff, no real concrete evidence of how it works.

It sounds too much like snake oil to me. If they actually took pictures of the intake ports for example before and after treatment and it showed a noticeable improvement then I would revise my opinion.

Until then, it's walnut blasting for me.
In theory it's like intensive water injection I guess which the 335i Guys use.

It'd be interesting to hear Steve's thoughts.
Appreciate 0