E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Extended Warranty breakdown vs. AA/RAC etc

09-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Extended Warranty breakdown vs. AA/RAC etc

I know I get basic level breakdown cover as standard with my extended warranty but now I've changed to non run flats I'm wondering if they're still a viable option should I suffer a puncture that can 't be slimed or should I grab some AA/RAC cover instead?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

Personally I binned the breakdown cover on my warranty on my first renewal then went & purchased RAC cover with my Tesco club card vouchers so it doesn't cost me anything in cash. I have 2 cans of tyre weld in the boot as an option should the worst happen but I would never be without breakdown cover even if I was still running my run flats, no good to you if you don't do any shopping at Tesco though.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

RAC (and AA to a lesser extent) have heavy quidco cashback do you can get roadside/relay for less than 30 quid a year
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
Fez335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Blue E92 335i

Personally I took the full cover with RAC.. £160.. But then got £70 quidco.. Thought it might've been a bit of a waste until a couple of months back when my battery was on its way out.. A guy came out to my house and swapped out the battery for a new one, no charge
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 12:57 AM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Depending on who you bank with there may be some options open to you. I have a natwest advantage gold account.. for £12 a month.. I get break down cover with green flag, insurance on all electrical and household appliances e.g. mobile phones, washing machine.. and no arrangement fee to pay when I arrange my mortgage... there are way more perks to it than paying out right for rac/aa cover. Worth looking into me thinks. GF have temporary tyres (not full size spares) to get you on the move and if not then they tow you to a location of your choice but cannot remember the mileage restriction. What about carrying a spare tyre in the boot? It's not like it will rob your 335 of any performance.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
Depending on who you bank with there may be some options open to you. I have a natwest advantage gold account.. for £12 a month.. I get break down cover with green flag, insurance on all electrical and household appliances e.g. mobile phones, washing machine.. and no arrangement fee to pay when I arrange my mortgage... there are way more perks to it than paying out right for rac/aa cover. Worth looking into me thinks. GF have temporary tyres (not full size spares) to get you on the move and if not then they tow you to a location of your choice but cannot remember the mileage restriction. What about carrying a spare tyre in the boot? It's not like it will rob your 335 of any performance.
I don't have one of those accounts but thanks anyway! Spare not really an option given we're away for a few days soon will a car packed to the brim! Went with Green Flag in the end in addition to my slime kit
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #7
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

RAC warranty is crap
I had it on a previous car and to make a claim you have to get the invoice made out to them and send of loads of claim forms etc. It was a massive hassle as the garage couldn't make an invoice out to me to pay then make one to them for it too. They wanted me to produce loads of info and forms so in the end I told them to stuff it (was only a pair of springs)

Stick with the BMW one. It's tried and tested and you very rarely hear bad things about it. where as I've never heard a good review about AA/RAC ones.

If you want breakdown cover, get a reward bank account. They normally come with loads of benefits for a small fee every month (My OH and I pay £22.50 for the top Lloyds account and get a list of benefits with it as long as you arm. One included is the top RAC breakdown cover with priority cover (We get seen 1st over a non Lloyds customer))