E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Vibration =wheel balance?

09-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys

Vibration =wheel balance?

Getting strange vibration. Starts at around 70mph and what it feels like is small vibration that seems to Ribble through car, stop and then start again. Almost like a dog shaking itself dry, but it is only a slight vibration. Also getting noise with it. Wondering if it is uneven tyre wear? Had everything aligned as one front tyre was wearing unevenly. Perhaps that is all it is? If I go faster I can drive through it but it does change. Also wondered if it might be sump guard loose and vibrating in wind? Anyone got any ideas, or had similar. It is e93 convertible.
      09-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry, should say if I go faster cannot drive through and past vibration. I. Germany at moment so can do 100mph but don't want to go faster in case it is serious.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

I am having the same problem after 75-80 mph. I will do road force balance and see it fixes the issue. Maybe my bushings are bad maybe control arms who knows :/
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Could be a number of things from a lightly buckled alloy wheel to a tyre related issue(tyre could be feathered)not to mention a number of suspension related issues, usually tension struts(lower arms)to lower wishbones all of which could be triggerd or felt at speed.

Perhaps the other one that is often overlooked is the condition of your brakes, any corrosion on say the discs(mainly the inner surface that you cannot see) can play up at speed as everything rotational at speed will expand with heat causing friction causing a vibration, the same goes re brakes if there is a issue re a calliper for instance(especially if the callipers have been pained and the sliders are contaminated with paint).

The mere fact that you say it stops and starts again would indicated to me from your description that wheel balancing, even buckled wheel are out side chances, you say you can drive through it whicch again supports that wheel balancing could be in the hunt, but may be an out side chance, suspension and as I say something to do with brakes whether front or rear brakes are more firm choices.

Check all 4 disc, if your not too sure sounds odd but take 4 photo's face on, post them up if you like(done this several times beore on here)if the discs are blue(they've gone through a heat cycle)if they are red in hue then that's gonea stage further, scored lipped corroded discs will all have a part to play.

Suspension wise little more difficult to say. But if you were rolling tap the brake pedal feel a small jolt then chances are tension struts are worn.
      09-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

There are a lot to look for.. why why whyyyy :/ I have no vibration when I brake but at high speed (80+) I don't feel comfortable passing 100+ mph anymore
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
cfc67
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330D Auto

I had this exact same problem and it turned out to be one of my rear calipers was sticking.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #7
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Sounds like caliper or warped disk would make sense. I have also noticed in day to day driving it just is not as smooth as it used to be. The difference is so subtle you would have needed to drive the car before to notice it. I might try a little left foot braking tomorrow as only did 5000 miles in last year so might just need easing.
Thanks for ideas.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrey View Post
Sounds like caliper or warped disk would make sense. I have also noticed in day to day driving it just is not as smooth as it used to be. The difference is so subtle you would have needed to drive the car before to notice it. I might try a little left foot braking tomorrow as only did 5000 miles in last year so might just need easing.
Thanks for ideas.
All you can do is look at the basics, if it builds up in terms of intensity its more and likely a rotational/heat build up related fault, whether that a partially seized calliper(s) or perhaps a discs related issues, through wear corrosion or whatever is of course without actually experiencing the issue a little bit difficult to 100% be sure off on a place like this. Sometimes you can get a bum steer and you could be looking at arms where as speed increases weight from the front due to lift is reduced and it can be a trigger point for vibrations etc. to start. Its just so damn difficult to be sure hence when we get this sort of stuff reported we look at everything first thing being driving the car to experience the fault, then working on what we feel the issue is from there if you follow me, but as you say on occasions the issues you face can be subtle and therefore damn hard to pin point, but you know they are there and sometimes they aren't.

When I've had cars in here with issues and I've previously asked for photo's of the conditions of the brakes every time so far at least I've managed to get it right usually on brake condition alone as the evidence and the condition on the photo's helps identify the issue at hand.

Colour wise if they are blue or god forbid reddish in colour then as I said earlier its kind of conclusive, you've possibly got a calliper issue happening meaning but you never know until you actually start looking.
      09-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #9
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Just got back from Germany. Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking probably sticky calliper. noticed a few more things today, seems more pronounced under braking and today was not quite the same as before. Then today I got the alert to change front pads, so I am thinking it is front brake related. Checked the disks and one looks a little scored, so I can get all this checked when I get the pads replaced. Also noticed today that front disks very hot to touch bit rears much, much cooler. I know weight transfers to front and so on, but there was a lot of difference in heat.
I am off to states tomorrow but will take photos when I get back. Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. It is great that people take the time to help.