E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Hesitation on Light Throttle - N53

09-03-2015, 06:53 AM   #1
Stoatmaster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 330i M Sport (MT)

Hesitation on Light Throttle - N53

Afternoon All,

Car is a '08 E92 330i MSport (N53) Experiencing a slight hesitation in the mornings when applying light throttle. (Usually pulling off driveway). It seems to resolve itself quite quickly once warmed up.No EML's or anything on the dash, car seems quite happy with itself.

Pulled the codes (BMWWhatApp/CARLY), I suspect at least one of these will be the culprit;

Fault: ifferential pressure sensor intake manifold / Pedal sensor plausibility / Air mass meter, signal correction Code: 2B07

Fault: :2, potentiometer, throttle / pressure sensor intake manifold / Accelerator pedal module, pedal sensor 2, Working range: High Voltage / Differential pressure sensor intake manifold / Pedal value sensor 2 / Air mass meter, signal correction Code: 2B06

Fault: :Intake air temperature sensor bank 1 / Intake manifold pressure Code: 2AFB

Fault: :Nitric Oxide Sensor Code: 30DA

Can anyone shed any light? I have a BMW warranty (Purchased via Mondial), and was wondering if any of the above were out of scope if replacement is required. Warranty is comprehensive). I've cleared the codes previously but they always seem to re-register themselves within a day or so.

Thanks Chaps
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Looks like your intake pressure sensor has failed. And that should be covered by the warranty - it's not a 'wear and tear' item...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 07:32 AM   #3
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 LCI DCT & F01 730d SE

I have this exact same issue which has developed within the last 2 weeks on my 330i so will be interested to hear what the solution is for yours.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
Stoatmaster
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, I'll see what the part is like in terms of pricing as I have an excess on the warranty.

Is this sensor known as the MAF on the N53? I have found it on RealOEM listed as 'Differential pressure sensor' with a part number of 13628617097

Last edited by Stoatmaster; 09-03-2015 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
No it's not the MAF. It's the small unit shown in this pic.

Name:  BMW N52 Engine picture.jpg
Views: 3221
Size:  97.3 KB

See the five parallel lines to the right of the word 'BMW' on the inlet manifold, top right? The pressure sensor is mounted where one line is shorter than the rest.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
No it's not the MAF. It's the small unit shown in this pic.

Attachment 1272728

See the five parallel lines to the right of the word 'BMW' on the inlet manifold, top right? The pressure sensor is mounted where one line is shorter than the rest.
I thought you were having a dig at the whole engine for a moment then! Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #7
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoatmaster View Post
Afternoon All,

Car is a '08 E92 330i MSport (N53) Experiencing a slight hesitation in the mornings when applying light throttle. (Usually pulling off driveway). It seems to resolve itself quite quickly once warmed up.No EML's or anything on the dash, car seems quite happy with itself.

Pulled the codes (BMWWhatApp/CARLY), I suspect at least one of these will be the culprit;

Fault: ifferential pressure sensor intake manifold / Pedal sensor plausibility / Air mass meter, signal correction Code: 2B07

Fault: :2, potentiometer, throttle / pressure sensor intake manifold / Accelerator pedal module, pedal sensor 2, Working range: High Voltage / Differential pressure sensor intake manifold / Pedal value sensor 2 / Air mass meter, signal correction Code: 2B06

Fault: :Intake air temperature sensor bank 1 / Intake manifold pressure Code: 2AFB

Fault: :Nitric Oxide Sensor Code: 30DA

Can anyone shed any light? I have a BMW warranty (Purchased via Mondial), and was wondering if any of the above were out of scope if replacement is required. Warranty is comprehensive). I've cleared the codes previously but they always seem to re-register themselves within a day or so.

Thanks Chaps
Did you get any further with thus?

Mine was put on the diagnostic software at the local Indy this morning and it was showing the nitric oxide fault and no. 6 cylinder misfiring. Car going in on Monday for investigation. Have found out from dealer that the car had all of its injectors replaced in 2008 under a recall and the high pressure fuel pump replaced in 2014.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
Stoatmaster
Private First Class
Rep

Hi,

Not yet, just waiting to pick up the new sensor and see what happens from there really.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 04:46 PM   #9
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoatmaster View Post
Hi,

Not yet, just waiting to pick up the new sensor and see what happens from there really.
Fair enough. I phoned BMW about NO sensor and they wanted £405 which I thought was a bit steep.

Just literally come back from a hick spin to see what it would drive like and it started off with a misfire again on what seems like one cylinder and then after 1 mile of A road driving it was all back to normal again.

Will be interested to hear whether this sensor makes a difference to you or not...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 02:58 AM   #10
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerset Jim View Post
Fair enough. I phoned BMW about NO sensor and they wanted £405 which I thought was a bit steep.

Just literally come back from a hick spin to see what it would drive like and it started off with a misfire again on what seems like one cylinder and then after 1 mile of A road driving it was all back to normal again.

Will be interested to hear whether this sensor makes a difference to you or not...
Don't assume if it cures his misfire it will do the same for you. Misfires can be from a wide variety of causes. Stick to the faults you have, rather than chasing 'possible' fixes that worked elsewhere.

Just my five penn'orth...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 05:09 AM   #11
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Don't assume if it cures his misfire it will do the same for you. Misfires can be from a wide variety of causes. Stick to the faults you have, rather than chasing 'possible' fixes that worked elsewhere.

Just my five penn'orth...
Thanks phil. The car is going in on Monday unless I see a vast improvement over the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:35 AM   #12
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

So after shelling out £300 for plugs, 2 coil packs and labour I decided to take things into my own hands.

I changed the coil pack on cylinder 6 despite the diagnostics showing cylinders 4&5 were being at fault but this didn't change anything. Still a misfire on cold start and a hesitation on the throttle until the engine was warm. So I then changed the injector and instantly it seems to have solved the problem. I'll try and use the car for a longish journey soon and see if there are any further issues.

OP - did you get to the bottom of your issue in the end?
Appreciate 0