E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > clunking noise in steering

09-02-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
Jackwag
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 DCT

clunking noise in steering

i have a clunking noise when quickly turning the wheel side to side when stationary, and when going over uneven surfaces at low speeds. it only seems to happen when the shockers move independently (no clunk over long, road wide speed bumps) and iv replaced both drop links and the anti roll bushes seem fine. checked all suspension bushes and no wear is present. noise seems to be coming from steering column/under the bonnet. has anyone had similar issues?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #2
sal_park
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91 325i manual

Jack up the front and try to wiggle the wheel side to side (move in the same direction as the hand steering wheel would move the road wheels) and then try to wiggle the wheel up/down (ie pull the top of the wheel towards you and push the bottom of the wheel away). See if you get a clunking noise then. Make sure a) the car is secure on jack stands and b) try to wiggle the wheel quite vigorously.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 02:47 AM   #3
frenchi
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Performance

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwag View Post
i have a clunking noise when quickly turning the wheel side to side when stationary, and when going over uneven surfaces at low speeds. it only seems to happen when the shockers move independently (no clunk over long, road wide speed bumps) and iv replaced both drop links and the anti roll bushes seem fine. checked all suspension bushes and no wear is present. noise seems to be coming from steering column/under the bonnet. has anyone had similar issues?

Hi,

Your problem is the lower steering shaft,i got the same problem on 330 xi, replace it with new one is a permanent fix but you can try to tight a little bit the lower rack bolt.../make attention it's an aluminum one !!/ will fix the problem almost but not completely,there will be a huge difference on how tight your steering will become.
Hope this will help you...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 01:00 AM   #4
Jackwag
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 DCT

we suspected the steering linkage, is it difficult to replace or did you put it in a garage? if so roughly how much did it cost you?

thanks
Appreciate 0