E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > idrive not Working

08-31-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
330i 06
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 06

idrive not Working

Hi guys newbie here. I have a 2006 E90 330i. Car has been running and everything working fine since I bought it. But today I turned the car on and the idrive screen not working at all. The screen goes black and blinks like it's about to start then goes back to been black. I tried the old method hold down the cd and dvd eject buttons together aswell as the volume button but no luck and I also disconnected the battery for 1 hour and still no luck. Can someone please give me some advice on what the problem is and how I can get it working please. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
ChaserPlus
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport Saphire Black

Exactly the same happened to me 4 weeks ago. Tried all the usual stuff with no luck.Not had time to take to dealer yet, maybe next week if I get the time. No radio driving me mad..lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
330i 06
United Kingdom
Rep

O mate tell me about it I need my music... lol. Let me know when you take it to dealer. Hope its not an expensive fix. I hope someone on here can help with this issue
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Could be a number of things but when you disconnected the battery did you manage to look at the condition eyelet (if you have a BMW spec battery) to see visually what the condition was. If the battery's been in the car for a fair few years as the CCC needs power to run if the battery condition is critical the car can to ensure the vitals gave power direct power away from less needy power sapping devices.

Worth getting the car diagnosed to check for power and if the battery comes back as exhausted get it changed and registered(ensure the correct spec battery goes in)-and it's vital it's registered so that the control units in the car can re establish communication. Sometimes and I've seen it thus is all that's needed to get things back on track.

The earlier CCC's can also suffer from internal parts failure as well, hence the need for I'd say that correct diagnosis, seen a fair few 05/06 plate cars both 3&5 series's with internal CCC failures I'm not really 100% clear on why they fail but it seems to be a communist BMW issue if you know yoyr BMW's you'll know earlier 3's, 5's and X5's suffered issues re their BM54 amps where internally components broke down, not the same issue sure but breakdown of internal components and BMW's aren't exactly unknown.

But best course of action IMO is get the diagnosis undertaken
      08-31-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
330i 06
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Steve. Thanks for your advice. My battery is OEM from new dont think it's ever been changed. So your saying get a diagnostic check done and if needed change the battery. Do I need to buy the battery only from BMW and to get it registered can I go to my local indy and have it registered or does it need to get registered by BMW?
Thanks once again
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
330i 06
United Kingdom
Rep

Also Steve. When I disconnected the battery there was a 3 amp fuse just laying there on top of the battery. The fuse looks ike a normal house appliance fuse not a car looking fuse. And when I drive the SOS icon comes up on my dash. Very weird
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i 06 View Post
Hi Steve. Thanks for your advice. My battery is OEM from new dont think it's ever been changed. So your saying get a diagnostic check done and if needed change the battery. Do I need to buy the battery only from BMW and to get it registered can I go to my local indy and have it registered or does it need to get registered by BMW?
Thanks once again
I think re your problem you've partly answered your own question. People assume that if the car starts runs then there's nothing wrong with the battery, far from it there are so many systems on board that they are all wanting their required power and when the battery reaches the end of its useful life then usually out if the blue or I'd things happen, you an lose your heated rear screen or when selected your daytime running lights when you open the car up will not work, thry are not important therefore to conserve battery power for the important things they've been disabled fir a better word, some report as you have issues re I Drive screen flicking on/off but it all can be traced back to a simple thing power.

So yes diagnosis is the way to finding out what's going on if the battery's not been changed your years and shows as exhausted then first port of call is replace and using corosponding diagnostic equipment register the supplied new battery to the car(it doesn't have to come from BMW but get something half decent) Non AGM battery's for instance are made by Exide so you could pick a decent Exide or Bosch S5 up from Euro's though if you do measure the battery size first as their system isn't that specific re battery sizes and if you don't tell them they can send you the wrong battery.. Other things power wise that can be picked up are issues re tge IBS system(intelligent battery system)comprises of 2-3 cables(depending on vehicle spec)again disgnosis will pin point this out if this proves to be the case takes just over half an hour to gut cables were around £170+VAT.

But all being well everything I've described and a lot more will be easily identifiable to your Indy once he's standing in front of your car
      08-31-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
330i 06
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok Steve thank you very much for that. You have been great help. Really appreciate it. I will get it booked in this week with my indy and take it from there. I will post on the outcome. Thank you once again
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
mattchubb1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330i SE, E30 325iSE

I had a similar thing on my first e91...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480720
Appreciate 0