E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > ABS sensor after dealer visit - happened twice

08-30-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys

ABS sensor after dealer visit - happened twice

I had all wheels replaced last November by dealer under warranty - hooray. Then when I set off the very next day the ABS sensor light came on. Ended up paying dealer to replace one sensor cable. A week later same warning came up and had another cable replaced by local garage for half price of dealer.
NOW, I just had the oil changed at dealer and like before, the next time I used the car, the ABS light has come back on. Can it really be a coincidence that each time I take it to the dealer the day after the ABS lights come on??
After they removed all wheels and replaced them there is a good chance they disturbed the ABS cables, but not with an oil change. They did do a vehicle inspection when the oil change was done, perhaps someone tugged a cable?
Or perhaps the dealer is doing it deliberately? Doesn't seem plausible but then again, the car was completely fine before the dealer touched it and the lights only came on the day after being to the dealer. That is just too much of a coincidence.
Anyone had similar or want to comment?
      08-30-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
Robin330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport

Is it the same sensor every time?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Last time it was two different sensors. Do not know yet this time as not had it diagnosed yet. Thanks for the reply.
      08-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Stupid question but what E93 do you have? 320i by any chance

Last edited by old grey steve; 08-30-2015 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi, I have a 330d convertible, so not a 320. Why did you ask?
      08-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
Tim G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 3.0d LCI

I'm not sure how much you are paying for all these sensors, but just change it yourself would be my advice. It is literally remove the wheel, then one allen bolt and a plug. I replaced mine recently with a branded non oem sensor for £23 + 10 minutes of my time.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 03:48 AM   #7
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrey View Post
Hi, I have a 330d convertible, so not a 320. Why did you ask?
Curiosity that's all if the cars knocking out sensors you'd have to ask a question or two, from are the sensors good quality, have they been damaged when fitting to is there actually something else going on.

Namely if we are talking rear wheel speed sensors we need to get the driveshafts looked at for contamination signs as if these have swollen they distroy any sensor replaced and the signs will be how the sensors removed have worn.
      08-31-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I will find out from diagnosis tomorrow. The replaced sensors were BMW originals and they were replaced with BMW parts. The replaced sensor cable that I kept, which I think was from the rear, shows no wear at all. And there is no apparent damage to the cable, not even a tiny nick. I hope to get it into an iddy tomorrow as I am taking the car to Germany on Wednesday, which is the only reason I had the oil change done. Car has only done 53,000 and last sensor went at 51,500 miles (as I said, also the day after it was in the main dealers). I am not using car much, so only 1500 miles in a year or so. Maybe it is a battery problem? Seen that mentioned by others on the forum. Thanks for your reply.
      08-31-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrey View Post
I will find out from diagnosis tomorrow. The replaced sensors were BMW originals and they were replaced with BMW parts. The replaced sensor cable that I kept, which I think was from the rear, shows no wear at all. And there is no apparent damage to the cable, not even a tiny nick. I hope to get it into an iddy tomorrow as I am taking the car to Germany on Wednesday, which is the only reason I had the oil change done. Car has only done 53,000 and last sensor went at 51,500 miles (as I said, also the day after it was in the main dealers). I am not using car much, so only 1500 miles in a year or so. Maybe it is a battery problem? Seen that mentioned by others on the forum. Thanks for your reply.
A wise move as you say is to get the csr into an Indy and discover what's going on. It's rare to have a sensor issue on these cars IMO, sure they go but not that frequently the driveshaft issue is becoming more common especially on the 4 cylinder models, hence the question I asked as I've known sensors to be replaced on cars with swollen driveshafts and garages actually change them again as they cannot understand why they'd failed.

You mention power re battery and yes if you've got a battery issue it can bring on a DSC light and again diagnosis re looking for power issues within the DSC and exhausted battery will come to light in a diagnosis test.

But if you've had previous historic issues re sensors it pays to get the car diagnosed and checked thoroughly, the other thing on these that can be DSC related could be due to several issues known within the DSC, but as you say only real proper way forward is get an Indy to stand by the car and find out what's happening.

Last edited by old grey steve; 08-31-2015 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #10
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Okay. So turns out to be rear and sensor cable. Very odd that it happened last time the dealer had the car. Someone said something about the wheels being spun. Suggested that if ignition\engine is on and wheels are spun then you can get fault. As dealer also had car on ramp to do vehicle check it is quite possible the spun the wheels as they did report on tyre trend! Very expensive free vehicle test!!
Appreciate 0