E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My e90 330d let me down

08-30-2015, 04:32 AM   #1
marty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e91 330d

My e90 330d let me down

Guys,

My 2006 e90 330d let me down yesterday and had to be recovered home

Car has covered 157k miles and been running without any issues since I bought it 20 months ago with 120k on the clock. Went to the dump with my trailer but when leaving the car was spluttering with loss of power at low revs and kind of went into limp mode. Rather than try to make it the 20 miles home I had it recovered home so my indy can have a look on Tuesday. When the car was offloaded ,and he scrapped my tailpipes on the road , it would barley tick over and kept stalling.

A few weeks ago I noticed a strange noise coming from near the dipstick the same as this
this noise has now disappeared and this morning the car started fine and would rev freely but I didn't take it out for a spin.

So my question could this be the issue? The egr valve? Or something else like the injectors? From the service history it's had nothing else apart from routine servicing. It covered 20k miles a year for the first 6 years probably mostly on motorways, then the second owner only covered 3k in one year until I bought it and put another 36k on it again all on motorways. I had a routine dpf service light come up at 125k but it was running fine so I just reset the dpf service indicator.

As said indy looking at it on Tuesday but just interested in what might be the cause, hopefully not the injectors from what I've read

Thanks in advance.

My youtube channel linky
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 05:03 AM   #2
Snappy russ
Rep
Drives: E91 msport

Hi think that noise is the egr control solenoid if you search duck noise on here or Google will give you more info.
👍
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 06:49 AM   #3
marty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Cheers for the reply Russ, ok that would make sense if it's the egr solenoid.

Would this fault normally throw a fault code as nothing is stored when I checked with my bluetooth adapter and nothing with the recovery guys reader either.

Edit: is there a procedure to check the solenoid?? I'm a petrol head and like driving but engines.....hmmm not my strong point I've got nothing better to do as I can't go out.

Last edited by marty; 08-30-2015 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: added a bit
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

So you've seen signs that there might be a problem but you just kept driving it until it broke and now blame the 330d letting you down?

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #5
marty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well not strictly true. I heard the noise once on a cold start up over 2k miles ago, switched off and restarted and the noise went. The wife uses the car more than me so told her to keep an eye and ear out for anything behaving different. The car has been running normal and now this.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
The duck quack noise is from the pressure converter for the EGR. A replacement is about £80 if I remember, but you have to take the inlet manifold off to get to it. If you've not had the swirl flaps blanked, it's worth doing that at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
The duck quack noise is from the pressure converter for the EGR. A replacement is about £80 if I remember, but you have to take the inlet manifold off to get to it. If you've not had the swirl flaps blanked, it's worth doing that at the same time.
THat indeed is what the noise is all about done a few in our time http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E9...m_control_agr/

also worth checking is this

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E9...acuum_control/

the elctric valve seen these fail too
      08-31-2015, 05:28 AM   #8
marty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the replies the engine component link is very handy.

Dropped it off this morning and the engine management light came on so checked the fault codes and P0401 came up

Powertrain - Auxiliary Emission Controls - ISO/SAE ControlledDescription

Exhaust Gas Recirculation "A" Flow Insufficient Detected

And P3263 Powertrain
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 05:42 AM   #9
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty View Post
Thanks for the replies the engine component link is very handy.

Dropped it off this morning and the engine management light came on so checked the fault codes and P0401 came up

Powertrain - Auxiliary Emission Controls - ISO/SAE ControlledDescription

Exhaust Gas Recirculation "A" Flow Insufficient Detected

And P3263 Powertrain
Both the 2 parts I listed will help power train fault will activate if there's an issue further upstream I'd replaced the 2 parts listed especially at the mileage you've stated as they'd of had a life of heat and age anyway and look forward from there, EGR can/do getcaked up so be aware that at the mileage yours has covered other things could easily come to light.
      08-31-2015, 06:51 AM   #10
marty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Any other preventative measures I can take now the miles are getting high? It covers hundreds of miles a week and will continue to do so. How long do turbos usually last is it best to replace before they go? I've been running Mercs for the last 10 years and this is my first BMW so not sure what are the usual weak points.
Appreciate 0