E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Old Grey Steve - Great service

08-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #1
Shaun69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Old Grey Steve - Great service

Popped into Steve's for the first time to have new pads and discs fitted all round. The level of service was five star and Steve regularly brought my old bits in to show me there condition. The inside wear on the discs was surprising as the outside didn't look that bad but thankfully I changed them just in time. Although I bought my own parts Steve thought ahead and ordered wear sensors and hand brake pads which was all needed and saved me waiting around all day.
Highly recommended
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
That disc face looks kinda weird - half black, half shiny. What's all that about..?
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
shaun335d
Banned
Rep

What pads and discs you got?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
Shaun69
Private First Class
Rep

The discs have a black protective coating that's worn away as the pads bed in.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Hi Shaun

Good to see you again today re your's here's what we kind found:

Arriving nice'n'early we got almost straight to workwell it was a Saturday morning, had a quick look around Shauns car noted that all for pads(you can only see the outer pad viewing inwards) were indeed rather low plus as Shaun was aware of the disc's were lipped and to a degree corroded, though pre wheel removal I thought overall the disc corrosion was failrly light on the outer face but couldn't speak re the inner face until the discs were visible with the wheel removed. So in the workshop we went

Josh's best mate Alan was doing the spanner work again

So pre work brakes through the wheels looked like

So wheels off what did we find? We'll start with the fronts

The off side front discs inner face was heavily groved as was the corrosponding inner pad

Corrosion wasn't too bad to be fair pad wear was sailing close to around 1.5mm I'd of said but as I bought the discs and pads over for Shaun to have a look at and to feel himself as I wanted him to feel the steps and the groves for himself. He was quite shocked.

Seen worse mind but it makes you think when you see this. In my eyes I'd of thought this would of produced a bit of a variation re brake effectiviness essentually you're not getting true performance from the off side inner pad and Shain IMO hasn't been getting propper pad/disc performance on the inner pad on the offside front wheel for some time.

So tho the rear. Slightly different story: Pad wear was about 1.5mm as well slightly more wear again on the inner surfaces but its the drums yet again that create interest:

And the hand brake shoes due to the corrosion had again suffered. ComeMOT on hand brake efficiency these may have gone through but sould of perhaps sailed close to the mark

But rear disc wise not too bad condition seen again a lot worse

With the rear brakes checked out discs off old hand brake shoes binned, new hand brake shoes were duly ordered as there was no way I'd of accepted stepped shoes going on new discs, come MOT time Shaun wouldn't of thanked me if the cars hand brake efficency hadn't of been met and I've seen shit shoes used on new discs many a time before.

So the magic EBC grooved disc and Shaun had been forced by logistics to opt for Yellow Pads, not his chosen Red Stuff set up.

In the above boxes lies these little beauty's

So everything was cleaned up front and back to ensure a good clean surface was available before everything was assembled.

Plenty of copper grease in the right places all sliders duly checked to cleaniness wheels on for a first look(though sadly for some the black coating will soon be a thing of the past)

Final checks on the ramp

Then test drive as we'd seen before re these brakes they are/can be a tad noisy at first, partly down to the fact that that the black coatings being removed and partly perhaps down to the as mentioned Yellow Stuff Pads.

Post test drive this was what you'd get to see

And a few of the car pre setting off back home/or was it work

So there you go, pleased you enjoyed the expierience Shaun. Any issues let me know
      08-29-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun69 View Post
Although I bought my own parts Steve thought ahead and ordered wear sensors and hand brake pads which was all needed and saved me waiting around all day.
Highly recommended
Steve had the same foresight when he did my car. The hand brake shoes were knakered and he had them there ready for that eventually. What's more he did not charge me extra. You know your car will be looked after by Steve. Nice car btw.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ao1 View Post
Steve had the same foresight when he did my car. The hand brake shoes were knakered and he had them there ready for that eventually. What's more he did not charge me extra. You know your car will be looked after by Steve. Nice car btw.
Thanks, as we supplied your discs and pads it was quite easy to ensure you weren't charged any extra for your shoes which was what we done, labour wise I never charge any extra for doing the shoes anyway as it's good practice to clean the hand brake shoes before replacing the discs if they need to be removed, the extra time to remove knackered shoes time wise isn't worth talking about so time wise makes no odds re whether we remove strip refit or remove and replace so we chose not to charge extra for shoe fitting and cleaning as this is routine

Last edited by old grey steve; 08-29-2015 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #8
marknjayne
Lieutenant
Rep

Steve and his team are awesome,did a top job with my Gearbox service
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknjayne View Post
Steve and his team are awesome,did a top job with my Gearbox service
Not a problem we like doing gear box services to be fair a lot of people don't even know it can/should be undertaken its not as you know on BMW's standard radar for servicing yet the serivce centres have the gear box fluid in large barrells and can order a sump in the morning for the afternoon, like we do.

Like Mercedes and VW,Audi should be be a service item for BMW and judging by the amount of leaking sump's and pilot plugs we see on BMW's surprissed they haven't alterered their take on this instead of the sealed for life crap
      08-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #10
AirAndre335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Pre Lci

They definitely are the best!
Appreciate 0