E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Laser jammers

08-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Silverstone M3

Laser jammers

Does anybody here use one?

I've been told that my new purchase had a laser jammer fitted by the first owner. I have never heard about them until now and so I started Googling.

It appears as though it's a device, most commonly used to prevent mobile cameras from obtaining a speed check using a laser speed gun.

I don't drive like an idiot and I don't really want it, if it is illegal or could land me in trouble, so I need to source it and get rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 04:16 AM   #2
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedb View Post

I've been told that my new purchase had a laser jammer fitted by the first owner. I have never heard about them until now and so I started Googling.

It appears as though it's a device, most commonly used to prevent mobile cameras from obtaining a speed check using a laser speed gun.

I don't drive like an idiot and I don't really want it, if it is illegal or could land me in trouble, so I need to source it and get rid of it.
Well you better pull it out then mate.

From what I have read online. If they try to take a speed reading and you keep coming up as an error on their gun, you'll get stopped and have your vehicle inspected.
Jamming used to be illegal. Probably still is.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 04:52 AM   #3
singh21
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I heard someone got prison sentence for this? Ill try and find the article
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 05:01 AM   #4
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Too risky these days:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-using-5222056
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:27 AM   #5
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

What make is it? If your getting rid I would be interested in it if you want to sell it
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:30 AM   #6
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Had a look round the car in all the obvious spots (grills, inner front windscreen etc.) and I can't find anything that looks like it could be the jammer box.

Either it's very well hidden or it has already been removed although the 2nd owner is the one that said it was fitted and it's only had 2 owners... Hmmm

He didn't seem to know anything about them though or what they were for so its a bit of a mystery now. There is a hidden switch on the right of my steering wheel where some people keep coins
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #7
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

follow the wires to the switch...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #8
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
What make is it? If your getting rid I would be interested in it if you want to sell it
No idea yet but I will follow Aragorns advice and get a mate to follow the wiring to see if it's still on the car
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #9
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I don't think these jammers should be illegal, its surely our right to protect ourselves from criminal prosecution, especially when they hide behind a bush or blind corner to take your speed reading. To me its more about privacy, god knows how they plot all this data about us..maybe even sell to criminals to keep crime rate high and thus justify bigger budget.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #10
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

I'm not paranoid but the guy following me is
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #11
GeorgeC88
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
I don't think these jammers should be illegal, its surely our right to protect ourselves from criminal prosecution, especially when they hide behind a bush or blind corner to take your speed reading. To me its more about privacy, god knows how they plot all this data about us..maybe even sell to criminals to keep crime rate high and thus justify bigger budget.

Do you also not believe the Americans landed on the moon?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #12
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedb

It depends on the type of jammer and where it is located. I have used a laser jammer for years in order to operate my security gates. When I pull up to the house the gates open and I don't need to use a remote or buzz in to unlock them. Then you have laser hammers that can scramble mobile cameras but the police are not dumb.. If they see the speed and it doesn't register then they know. Many scenarios and not worth the risk or fines in court for having one.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 07:14 AM   #13
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Quote:
This is probably the most ridiculous thing I'll read today.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #14
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
This is probably the most ridiculous thing I'll read today.
I used to think like you, i thought hacking the whole countries phone records was ridiculous & OTT paranoia but this turned out to be true. Lessons learned for me is even the most ridiculous & craziest conspiracy story COULD be true.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 07:38 AM   #15
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Its not a privacy issue though is it? Its one of perverting the course of justice.

What you've basically said, is that if you commit a crime, it should be legal to cover it up?

I dont particularly agree with speed cameras, they're dumb indiscriminate machines usually used in stupid places, and the propaganda bollocks against speeding itself i find somewhat annoying too, as its focussing the attention in the wrong place, and has created roads full of idiots dribbling along at 50mph thinking they're driving safely because they're not going fast, while not fixing the actual problem of inattention and driving standards.

Doing 85 in a 70 while paying full attention to the road and your surroundings is FAR safer than doing 50 in a 60 while texting, arguing with your child in the back seat and attending to personal grooming.

But theres no logic in suggesting that it should be legal to cover up a crime.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #16
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

My issue is why on earth should they be allowed to monitor us without our knowledge? Why cannot we travel our land without being checked and recorded into databases even when no crime has been committed.

What if they decide to put a camera inside everyones homes one day to make sure no one breaks the law, will we be perverting the course of justice if we cover the lens?

I totally understand where your are coming from, today in the UK having one these jammers is illegal, but should we sit idly when even innocent motorists are checked and recorded into databases indefinitely, the answer is hell NO!

P.s I admit im a hypocrite, im comply with these ridiculous laws and practices and I rarely question it but its worth a good old discussion
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #17
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:
My issue is why on earth should they be allowed to monitor us without our knowledge? Why cannot we travel our land without being checked and recorded into databases even when no crime has been committed.

What if they decide to put a camera inside everyones homes one day to make sure no one breaks the law, will we be perverting the course of justice if we cover the lens?

I totally understand where your are coming from, today in the UK having one these jammers is illegal, but should we sit idly when even innocent motorists are checked and recorded into databases indefinitely, the answer is hell NO!

P.s I admit im a hypocrite, im comply with these ridiculous laws and practices and I rarely question it but its worth a good old discussion
They do have Camera signs up!! so it's not like you don't know. Its illegal if there was no signs like ' police speed check' or camara sign display on that road.

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #18
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC88 View Post
Do you also not believe the Americans landed on the moon?
They're legal in America. Cops have been switching from radar to laser speed reading devices. They work great for me. Yes, I proudly drive like an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #19
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
My issue is why on earth should they be allowed to monitor us without our knowledge?
Without who’s knowledge, I know the police are monitoring speed through various means

Quote:
Why cannot we travel our land without being checked and recorded into databases even when no crime has been committed.
Are we being checked and recorded into a database, or is the information simply deleted if you’re NOT found to be breaking the law? Clearly if you are breaking the law records will be kept.

Quote:
Has it been suggested that we all have cameras installed?

Quote:
As above, what database are innocent motorists added to?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #20
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The road network is covered in ANPR cameras the police can use to trace movements of vehicles.

Only the other night i was watching one of those "traffic cops" programs, and they were using ANPR to figure out where someone had gone so they could setup a sting.

So presumably all that data is being logged and recorded somewhere... It doesnt take much of a leap to deduce that the data cant simply be discarded, but has to be stored for some indeterminate amount of time to enable such searches to be possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 02:58 AM   #21
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

To be honest, I'm not really bothered if they do keep all the ANPR data, nobody's going to write a best seller based on a log of all my journeys, and if it helps to put a few criminals behind bars so much better, I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 06:22 AM   #22
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yep, but thats a dangerous (and all too common) view to take against breaches of your privacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_to_hide_argument

Many folk connect privacy with sneaking around or hiding things, often illicit or illegal things, rather than understanding its a fundamental part of liberty.
Appreciate 1