Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

08-23-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
87ja
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Cracked brake discs

Hey guys

Looking for a bit of advice. Had my M5 into Douglas park bmw in Glasgow a few days ago. Explained to them that when I was braking I could feel a vibration coming through the steering wheel they took the car on a road test and advised that they couldn't find any fault.I then asked if this could be checked again as I was 100% sure there was a fault.

Bmw have now advised me that my car has warped brake discs as well as this they are also starting to crack around were the small drilled holes are.

My car is around a year and a half old now with only just 12500 miles on it. Brakes pads I could expect to replace but the fact my discs are cracking is weird to me.

Bmw have said to replace the disc with new pads will cost me near £2000 which I think is shocking tbh.

Looking for a bit of advice from people to see if they think this would fall under a warranty claim as brake discs cracking in my opinion is ridiculous for this type of car considering it doesn't get driving hard.

Any advise on this would be great thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
momos750
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5, 2011 750Li

Brake discs and pads should be covered under the BMW maintenance warranty. Any other items associated with the brakes should be covered by the BMW factory warranty.
      08-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
87ja
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by momos750 View Post
Brake discs and pads should be covered under the BMW maintenance warranty. Any other items associated with the brakes should be covered by the BMW factory warranty.
I defentally thought the brake discs would be covered but bmw are saying no its down to the style of driving and its a wear and tear issue.

Anybody any ideas on how I would complain to bmw direct instead of a dealer?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 01:20 AM   #4
jamier27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Doesn't matter how the cars driven imo should be designed to take any driving style especially at only 12500 miles of (I pressume) road driving..?

Am sure someone will be along to help soon.. Try the ///M power section of the Bmw forum on pistonheads gassing station that seems to get more UK bmw traffic 👍
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 06:07 AM   #5
87ja
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamier27 View Post
Doesn't matter how the cars driven imo should be designed to take any driving style especially at only 12500 miles of (I pressume) road driving..?

Am sure someone will be along to help soon.. Try the ///M power section of the Bmw forum on pistonheads gassing station that seems to get more UK bmw traffic 👍

yeah i thought the same driving style shouldnt matter car has never been on a track anyways its all raod driving.

thanks will try pistonheads aswell.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #6
Bigmuz7
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16

There shouldn't be much wear for that mileage .. if you look inside the alloy at the caliper with a torch you can see the pad. Mine has done a similar mileage and theres about 10mm of wear material on the pad yet .. what on yours ?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 04:58 AM   #7
flapper
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: 335i

If they are not covered, which they should be. I know where there is a set of front brake discs covered 2000 miles in good condition.
Appreciate 0