F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Help with my first ever drive to France
Studio RSR

08-20-2015, 03:10 AM   #1
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d xdrive MSport+ Auto

Help with my first ever drive to France

Hi all,

As the title says, I am thinking of driving to France in couple of weeks however I have never driven in europe before. I haven't even decided where to go. It'll be two of us travelling and we like quiet and scenic places.

May I please ask for some suggestions and some dos and donts of driving in France/Europe.

Thanks
Saurabh
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:20 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Don't use the toilets.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 03:24 AM   #3
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Don't use the toilets.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:33 AM   #4
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabhdutt View Post
It's called British humour

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...-new-2012.html
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:43 AM   #5
Palexr
Lieutenant
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 330D GT M Sport

I got my driving license in Belgium and lived in France and the Continent for quite a while.

The thing I would say is to expect slightly more random driving shall we say. At least in the context of British stereotypes. Some do drive like absolute loons, but many more than you probably expect drive much more slowly. But they won't be "considerate", stopping to chat to someone on a roundabout, pushing out of junctions, erratic driving, random swerves on motorways all these are common. The larger the urban area the more stereotypically they drive - like ar$es. If this your first visit I'd avoid Paris... One thing, particularly in France, if you value your car park away from other people in supermarkets. They absolutely don't give a monkey's about opening their doors into your car. Nor will they baulk at bumping you out of the way to park in town. The thing to remember is that, contrary to what the Daily Hate might have you believe, it is not personal, or aimed at you because you are British, it is because it truly is not important to them. Nor are all Gendarmes on the lookout for UK cars to victimise - unless you drive like a cock. If you do have to deal with them remember that all the safety equipment they require you to have such as hi-vis vests and breathalyzers (x2 because if they make you use your only one you then don't have one left to drive off legally) need to be accessible in the cabin, not in the boot.

Roads are not way better than over here so I would say don't hesitate to use the autoroutes. It is a complete false economy. Consider getting one of these - Autoroute Tag they allow you to just drive straight through the tolls avoiding all the queuing.

Areas that are nice? There are so many. Personally I like the south west of France.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:57 AM   #6
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Read up on road signs and rules.

The second person is another set of eyes to help you out at junctions, roundabouts etc, not just to check out the views.

Don't have the latest no to hand, however there is a good website on driving in France.

Have you driven on the wrong side of the road before?

Remember tiredness is multiplied there with having to double think everything.

Take things slowly, plan your route out and follow it through google maps, looking for any iffy bits on the route.

Breakdown cover and emergency contact numbers.

Remember you can cover the cost of your journey and holiday by giving a lift to them that's in Calais
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:58 AM   #7
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

If you really great driving roads then the route napolean down through Provence is pretty much my favourite ever road. The south of France itself is lovely but busy and expensive in places.
Dordogne area is nice but maybe a bit dull unless you're middle aged!

And the French will overtake in places Brits wouldn't, but then incoming drivers expect and accommodate it rather than beeps horns and flash their lights.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:30 AM   #8
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Cheers for the link....
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:31 AM   #9
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palexr View Post
I got my driving license in Belgium and lived in France and the Continent for quite a while.

The thing I would say is to expect slightly more random driving shall we say. At least in the context of British stereotypes. Some do drive like absolute loons, but many more than you probably expect drive much more slowly. But they won't be "considerate", stopping to chat to someone on a roundabout, pushing out of junctions, erratic driving, random swerves on motorways all these are common. The larger the urban area the more stereotypically they drive - like ar$es. If this your first visit I'd avoid Paris... One thing, particularly in France, if you value your car park away from other people in supermarkets. They absolutely don't give a monkey's about opening their doors into your car. Nor will they baulk at bumping you out of the way to park in town. The thing to remember is that, contrary to what the Daily Hate might have you believe, it is not personal, or aimed at you because you are British, it is because it truly is not important to them. Nor are all Gendarmes on the lookout for UK cars to victimise - unless you drive like a cock. If you do have to deal with them remember that all the safety equipment they require you to have such as hi-vis vests and breathalyzers (x2 because if they make you use your only one you then don't have one left to drive off legally) need to be accessible in the cabin, not in the boot.

Roads are not way better than over here so I would say don't hesitate to use the autoroutes. It is a complete false economy. Consider getting one of these - Autoroute Tag they allow you to just drive straight through the tolls avoiding all the queuing.

Areas that are nice? There are so many. Personally I like the south west of France.
That is really helpful. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:32 AM   #10
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Read up on road signs and rules.

The second person is another set of eyes to help you out at junctions, roundabouts etc, not just to check out the views.

Don't have the latest no to hand, however there is a good website on driving in France.

Have you driven on the wrong side of the road before?

Remember tiredness is multiplied there with having to double think everything.

Take things slowly, plan your route out and follow it through google maps, looking for any iffy bits on the route.

Breakdown cover and emergency contact numbers.

Remember you can cover the cost of your journey and holiday by giving a lift to them that's in Calais
I like the idea of recovering the holiday cost..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:33 AM   #11
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
If you really great driving roads then the route napolean down through Provence is pretty much my favourite ever road. The south of France itself is lovely but busy and expensive in places.
Dordogne area is nice but maybe a bit dull unless you're middle aged!

And the French will overtake in places Brits wouldn't, but then incoming drivers expect and accommodate it rather than beeps horns and flash their lights.
I have driven in India so I am well aware of such driving..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:43 AM   #12
Palexr
Lieutenant
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabhdutt View Post
I have driven in India so I am well aware of such driving..
If you have driven there and you survived that consider all Continental drivers as having passed the Institute of Advanced Motorists tests.

Seriously though, Brigand sums it up exactly, drive on the wrong side and be extra vigilant. I find pulling out at small T junctions you can easily end up on the "wrong" side of the road if you are tired or inattentive. Positive (rather than aggressive) driving is what is expected not defensive, so indicate and go (so to speak).

Any GPS with safety camera locations is a no-no in France as well.

The AA foreign (France) driving advice - Link
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:58 AM   #13
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palexr View Post
If you have driven there and you survived that consider all Continental drivers as having passed the Institute of Advanced Motorists tests.

Seriously though, Brigand sums it up exactly, drive on the wrong side and be extra vigilant. I find pulling out at small T junctions you can easily end up on the "wrong" side of the road if you are tired or inattentive. Positive (rather than aggressive) driving is what is expected not defensive, so indicate and go (so to speak).

Any GPS with safety camera locations is a no-no in France as well.

The AA foreign (France) driving advice - Link
You are a star.. I'll have a look at the link.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #14
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport (M) BS /CR

Breathalysers are not required. The law on this was never passed a few years ago. As stated above 1 Hi-Vis jacket per person is required and should be in the cabin so that they can be put on before exiting the car. Always come to a complete STOP at a Stop sign, plenty get caught on this. Which route are you taking through France?

Gone: F31 320d MSport BS /CR, E61 520d MSport Bus Ed, E53 X5 V8 Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #15
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d Luxury (2015)

This is the official French government site listing fuel prices

http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #16
Palexr
Lieutenant
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompers View Post
Breathalysers are not required.
They are, it is the fine that had been rescinded. My French friends still have them in their cars as, to the letter of the law (which is still on the books) you do have to have the breathalysers. If you don't you are in contravention and this is all an official needs to ruin your day.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #17
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palexr
Quote:
Breathalysers are not required.
They are, it is the fine that had been rescinded. My French friends still have them in their cars as, to the letter of the law (which is still on the books) you do have to have the breathalysers. If you don't you are in contravention and this is all an official needs to ruin your day.
Indeed so - not worth giving a reason for them to bollock you in my view.

They cost a fiver at the port or tunnel shop, or you can have mine when I get back! So long as I don't use them that is...
      08-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #18
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

There is no fine for not having them, so you don't need them. The law is still in place to save the face of French politicians http://www.drive-france.com/faqs/fra...athalyzer-law/

Many more comments out there. If your that worried, buy them in France, €2 for 2 in most places

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #19
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Hi. Any suggested routes Calais to Perpignan? Speed > scenery desired.... I mean it's a dang long way so want to do it in one long day....

Last edited by XAlp; 08-20-2015 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #20
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
Hi. Any suggested routes Calais to Perpignan? Speed > scenery desired.... I mean it's a dang long way so want to do it in one long day....
Only one way to go for me. A10 from Paris, then A71 and then A75 crossing the Millau Bridge, it will blow you away, it's an amazing sight Passing through the Auvergen region around Claremont Ferrand (Home of Michelin) will be nice, plenty of Volcano's to see

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #21
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Quote:
Only one way to go for me. A10 from Paris, then A71 and then A75 crossing the Millau Bridge, it will blow you away, it's an amazing sight Passing through the Auvergen region around Claremont Ferrand (Home of Michelin) will be nice, plenty of Volcano's to see
Thanks Chompers. And pretty fast roads too? We're in the family Outlander so not racing (!) but would like to keep up a decent pace...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #22
Palexr
Lieutenant
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
Thanks Chompers. And pretty fast roads too? We're in the family Outlander so not racing (!) but would like to keep up a decent pace...
Those are all motorways. False economy and much longer to try avoiding the tolls on the motorways.
Appreciate 0