E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Turbos replaced, without oil service?

08-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Turbos replaced, without oil service?

Just had both turbos replaced for waste-gate rattle. Won't go into too much detail, but dealer had car for a week, while I was away. Some issues with fitting, steering rack out, sheared cat bolts (new cats for me), and one of the actuators on the new turbos snapped, or something so they had to get another (delays). So they were still fitting them today....

My car was also in for oil service, as its overdue by a few miles already, but this was not done as they didn't have time?! I needed the car today, but i didn't find this out till I went to pick it up. After driving home, the low oil light came on too.

Now shouldn't the oil have been changed? They replaced all the oil lines to the turbos, but not the oil? Surely running new turbos on old oil is self defeating?

Is there a PDF or link to official BMW procedure on turbo replacements?

Also unsure how they ran out of time, as an oil change is not a hard job and could have been done any time, especially considering they had the car up to do the rear diff, seatbelt handover and a new wing mirror as it was adjusting to no mans land.

Glad to have gotten rid of my waste-gate rattle. Car is much quieter now too at low revs, but seems a little odd they didn't do this as either a service or a warranty requirement.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
Just had both turbos replaced for waste-gate rattle. Won't go into too much detail, but dealer had car for a week, while I was away. Some issues with fitting, steering rack out, sheared cat bolts (new cats for me), and one of the actuators on the new turbos snapped, or something so they had to get another (delays). So they were still fitting them today....

My car was also in for oil service, as its overdue by a few miles already, but this was not done as they didn't have time?! I needed the car today, but i didn't find this out till I went to pick it up. After driving home, the low oil light came on too.

Now shouldn't the oil have been changed? They replaced all the oil lines to the turbos, but not the oil? Surely running new turbos on old oil is self defeating?

Is there a PDF or link to official BMW procedure on turbo replacements?

Also unsure how they ran out of time, as an oil change is not a hard job and could have been done any time, especially considering they had the car up to do the rear diff, seatbelt handover and a new wing mirror as it was adjusting to no mans land.

Glad to have gotten rid of my waste-gate rattle. Car is much quieter now too at low revs, but seems a little odd they didn't do this as either a service or a warranty requirement.
I had exactly the same problem, not long after I picked up the arms from you my wastegate rattle to my mind had hit worse.

Long short of it car was booked back into BMW under their parts warranty procedure, they agreed they were a tad noisy replaced both without a problem, but never changed the oilwhich really shocked me, I asked tge question thry stated on mine oil was within spec, oil had done 4376 miles and was in tge sump got 7 months.

If you get a turbo from Turbo Technics, Euro's, GSF on any number of suppliers then without a oil change, where applicable breather valve change and air filter most company's won't without evidence of these being changed will honour a warranty claim due to a turbo issue, yet BMW seem happy to run with 'the oils within spec' which is to me a bit of a shock, however as BMW UK are only warranty wise answerable to themselves then they write, uphold the rules, therefore unless as a customer you request an oil service if on CBS the car doesn't flag up the requirement thry will not carry out the procedure.

So tge you have it. So I drove the car back for 0.7 miles with an oil filter purchased from their parts department and had tge oil service done the same day as I collected. I got no paperwork for tge replacement as its held internally with BMW UK, but that's not an issue as I can get this with ease, but it's strikes me as strange re oil spec, age, mileage. But it's their rule.

And my wastegate have started to rattle a tad again too. But I've a theory on this, re vacuum but on the plus side car drives better with the replacements in situ.
      08-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
Cerbera9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 2007

As the turbos have oil and water lines going to them not draining these fluids first is a cowboy way of working when changing the turbos. As you say new turbos should have new oil which I would presonaly also change after about the first 1000miles.
Sounds like they forgot to top up your oil after fitting the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerbera9 View Post
As the turbos have oil and water lines going to them not draining these fluids first is a cowboy way of working when changing the turbos. As you say new turbos should have new oil which I would presonaly also change after about the first 1000miles.
Sounds like they forgot to top up your oil after fitting the turbos.
It appears to be standard practice if they consider the turbo's are faulty they are happy to swap the unit out(and as we know turbo's can fail for a number of reasons)but regardless of why/how they fail the oil in the car would of circulated around the defective turbos(regardless of the defect)therefore in my eyes also company's like TurboTechnics you'd of expected the oil to be drained as a matter of course.

Sadly this isn't the case as I said as long as the oil in the car at the given time is "within specification"-they'd of used last data on CBS to gauge that outcome then they are perfectly happy to run with that, the mere fact that the oil "could of been contaminated due to condensation etc. being present that had cuased the oil condition to be somewhat reduced doesn't seem to figure..

They knew what I do and I explained how we do things and how/what company's supplying turbo for us operate and what they expect and what should be displayed on the paperwork regarding oil service,breathers etc. as that is how we protect a customer should a turbo let go later on(and by doing this we have repalced under warranty before)but none of this washed.

Re "Sounds like they forgot to top up your oil after fitting the turbos"nothing whatsoever to do with it, we drained my oil out and I'd hardly lost a drop proving the turbo's were at least not contributing to a loss of oil unlike my first set. Since the car rolled off the production line back in late 2006 this is the 3rd set its had. I've had 2 replaced now in 20 months, which is poor but well versed sure the first set blew their seals which is well versed the presvious set had wastegate chatter, again well veresed this is the 3rd set and in the background I can just about hear some wastegate activity, but I've a theory re this re vacuum(and I've had 2 pressure converters replaced as well)

Its their rule and I have to respect that, but on paper to me BMW fall a little short
      08-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
Cerbera9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 2007

I understand what your saying but seems like a no brainer not to change the oil when removing/replacing the turbos esp as its a relatively small cost for the oil. I've had to also remove mine 3x in the last 18months (long story) and each time I drained and replaced the oil & filter
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerbera9 View Post
I understand what your saying but seems like a no brainer not to change the oil when removing/replacing the turbos esp as its a relatively small cost for the oil. I've had to also remove mine 3x in the last 18months (long story) and each time I drained and replaced the oil & filter
Trust me its a no brainer 6.5 litres of oil an oil filter v 2 turbo's and a fair bit of labour, oil flows through the turbo's and any oil contamination can cause turbo failure you'd want to cover all the bases and ensure longevity. Yet as said BMW look at it diffenently it would seem.

On the very subject of rattly N54 wastegates have a look in this up and coming BMWCar Magazine there's an article on the very subject.

Last edited by old grey steve; 08-18-2015 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

The turbos run on used oil for most of their lives dont they....

Its not ideal, but i cant really see it being an issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #8
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
The turbos run on used oil for most of their lives dont they....

Its not ideal, but i cant really see it being an issue.
In theory you do 10 miles in a car and the oils warmed up fully its used for sure and oils longevity is far superior to what was around say 15 years ago but as stated people they rebuild turbos/supply a new one won't honor a warranty issue if one crops up without proof of oil, filter breather air filter replacement.

BMW have their procedure they happy to swap mine and as you'll see Andys without drama showing they this indeed is BNW policy seems strange that's all that their opinion differs from almost anyone else's re this subject
      08-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

id be more concerned on them having the brains to prime the turbos with oil !
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 05:00 PM   #10
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
id be more concerned on them having the brains to prime the turbos with oil !
Ummm
      08-19-2015, 05:24 AM   #11
djgandy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
So I added 1L of oil. Still says add oil. Put another half in and still says add oil.

I'm a little worried now...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 05:29 AM   #12
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

This is why cars without dipsticks are completely f-ing retarded!

At this stage, instead of wasting oil, i'd be tempted to just drain it, and refill with the correct quantity of fresh new oil, and stick a new filter in it while your there.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 06:02 AM   #13
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

At this stage, instead of wasting oil, i'd be tempted to just drain it, and refill with the correct quantity of fresh new oil, and stick a new filter in it while your there.
On mine I done this within 1 mile of getting it back not so sure about Andy's
      08-19-2015, 06:06 AM   #14
djgandy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

The oil service is overdue 150 miles anyway. They should have done it, I asked them to, but they had so many issues replacing the turbos it wasn't done by the time I picked it up.

So yes it's going to get drained, and I don't want to fill it up loads because of that.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 06:18 AM   #15
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

Get national tyres to do the oil change. Only costs £45
      08-19-2015, 06:45 AM   #16
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The oil service is overdue 150 miles anyway. They should have done it, I asked them to, but they had so many issues replacing the turbos it wasn't done by the time I picked it up.

So yes it's going to get drained, and I don't want to fill it up loads because of that.
Scary Andy that they don't undertake it as a procedural requirement, if your oil service was overdue by 150 miles then on CBS on paper its out of spec, but all you can do is for your own benefit change the oil and move on
      08-19-2015, 07:09 AM   #17
djgandy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Scary Andy that they don't undertake it as a procedural requirement, if your oil service was overdue by 150 miles then on CBS on paper its out of spec, but all you can do is for your own benefit change the oil and move on
Yeah I know. They sent the car out on overdue oil with all new lines and turbos and probably only 4l of oil by the looks of things!

Just seems crazy that such a simple yet fundamental thing is overlooked after they spent 3 days installing turbos smh They probably buy their oil at no more than £3/l too.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 07:25 AM   #18
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I know. They sent the car out on overdue oil with all new lines and turbos and probably only 4l of oil by the looks of things!

Just seems crazy that such a simple yet fundamental thing is overlooked after they spent 3 days installing turbos smh They probably buy their oil at no more than £3/l too.
Jesuswell on those grounds its not within spec re 2 areas oil level if proven(who ever drains the oil get them to capture it in a can(6.5 litres there or there about is the required amount) and being over by -150 miles. Take a photo of the counter on the cars dash with that info PM me
      08-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #19
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

I work for a Mercedes-benz HGV dealer and when we change turbo(s) I have never seen or performed a oil service while changing one. Even when I changed them due to snapping the shaft.

What you are mostly referring too is just a rattle on the waste gate which does not require oil, so changing it on that basis is not quite needed. Yes its good practice and I see what your all saying but its not going to die tomorrow due to not being changed.
      08-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #20
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-danGT View Post
I work for a Mercedes-benz HGV dealer and when we change turbo(s) I have never seen or performed a oil service while changing one. Even when I changed them due to snapping the shaft.

What you are mostly referring too is just a rattle on the waste gate which does not require oil, so changing it on that basis is not quite needed. Yes its good practice and I see what your all saying but its not going to die tomorrow due to not being changed.
What you say re just wastegate rattle etc and swapping turbos out is as you say as I've discovered seems to be perfectly acceptable via the manufacturer arm. They given the process set the standard so it's there rules.

Thing is company's that manufacturer the turbos, whether new or refurbished see it totally differently. If you are supplied a turbo unit, whatever the failure thry insist on an oil change being reciepted along with where required a breather, air filter assembly.

Manufactures seem to be perfectly happy re not carrying out an oil change procedure, if the oils fairly old has done some miles and the units failed would you re use that oil in a new turbo fitted? Company's like TurboTechnics, TurboDynamics all know turbo can/do fail due to contaminated oil. They simply should a problem arise and no proof of an oil service has taken out will void the warranty for that unit as their stated guidelines haven't been met.

Put simply tgere are different standards regarding these things, sure a wastegate rattle isn't as bad as say a defective seal but the units have worked the oil flowing though them has also worked hard would you want to reducers much as possible oil contamination of your new turbos? If the answers yes a good way to start is a simple oil oil filter change.
      08-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #21
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

Oh yeah I agree, we often say it at work but we have never had a repeat failure. I can see why changing the air filter then if any debris went back up to it then you have covered all aspects. It's strange because the turbo will have come from say KKK or Garrett so they should make the manufacturer follow the same guidelines. Well you would think anyway
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #22
djgandy
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
my car had never consumed any oil till 5k miles ago. It has required top ups a lot since then. I remember the SA saying that there was some oil issue on the turbos. I had wondered myself, since it had started consuming oil. I'll check the diag sheet and see what it said.

Despite what people have said, 15000+ mile old oil shouldn't be left in on new turbos imo, even for WG issues. They should change at my cost at least, that is what they were meant to do anyway as part of service schedule regardless.
Appreciate 0