E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Buying this week, please advise!!

08-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #1
cs225
Rep
Drives: Audi TT 225 Quattro

Buying this week, please advise!!

Hi all,

Buying a 335 this week from bmw. Can I havesome advise on what can be done by dealerships on price, warranties, service plans, any extras that can sweeten a deal.
The car is definitely over priced so will come down, anyone know by what percentage used cars can by though? 5,10,15,20%?

Will they throw in lifestyle products? Phone dock? Some sort of marketing event invites?

Very open minded, the car is going nowhere fast so what would you all suggest?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 01:30 AM   #2
smuler
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Difficult to say on discount as you haven't given the price one or linked to the car.

Re: extras.
In your position I would go for a year 2 warranty potentially worth up to 1k with rescue and 0 excess if in the second year the car will be over 60k miles.

New tyres if the ones on are close to the min selling of 3mm tread could be an idea. Get non- run flats put on.

Don't see the value add in goodies, would rather a full tank of petrol instead, won't last.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
cs225
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuler View Post
Difficult to say on discount as you haven't given the price one or linked to the car.

Re: extras.
In your position I would go for a year 2 warranty potentially worth up to 1k with rescue and 0 excess if in the second year the car will be over 60k miles.

New tyres if the ones on are close to the min selling of 3mm tread could be an idea. Get non- run flats put on.

Don't see the value add in goodies, would rather a full tank of petrol instead, won't last.
Thanks

Was a 335i sport plus edition with 11k miles, asked if they could do anything on price at the weekend after receiving a call when dealership closed. "I'll ask my manager and call you Monday with what we can do"; called received earlier; "we sold it this morning". Didn't say how much for was £23,000 which I had yet like many I thought I'd be silly not to discuss price.

Have to say don't really enjoy interacting with bmw dealerships. Sat in one a few weeks ago for nearly an hour after asking for some help. Fair to say I didn't look like many of the footfall in there but I'd bet my bottom dollar my disposable income was higher than most; still blanked by all the staff. (Edit; to be fair salesman was alright albeit not the busiest on my behalf)

May wait a bit longer and look into 911. If my experience is anything to go by this will be another ball ache looking for too. Shame really, does make me wonder if it's me or dealers, same thing at Audi too; guy nearly laughed when I asked about S5 and went on a stint about maintenance. All the while a former colleague was inside taking delivery on a brand new Audi.

Perhaps I'll invest in a Barbour jacket and get a knacker pair of brogues.

Last edited by cs225; 08-17-2015 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 10:51 PM   #4
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

there is a 435i inautotrafer for 28k... would go for that if you're about spend that much.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 02:21 AM   #5
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs225 View Post

Perhaps I'll invest in a Barbour jacket and get a knacker pair of brogues.
I love this ^ had a friend that I work with that also works on a farm and was looking for an S3, had £16k to play with

We both took a trip to a prestige car dealer near us to look at one and he was dressed in his mucky farm gear, we received no assistance until we asked and again like you got a nice speech on how expensive they are to run and basically the salesman hinting that he thought it would be well out of my friends budget, we walked away with my friend extremely reluctant to go back for that car

Two weeks later he had purchased an S3 privately for £15.5k and he took it for a drive to the dealership just to rub it in the salesmans noses...needless to say a salesman came straight out to see him before he could even get up out of the car

"oh it's you..." I think were the words that the salesman came out with when he realised that he'd offered my friend no help and looked down at us two weeks prior

Such a shame that you get looked down on purely for image when it could potentially give/loose the dealership a sale
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 04:37 AM   #6
smuler
First Lieutenant
Rep

If it was at Sytner, I remember seeing the ad @ 22,850
I've had mixed experiences with their used sales people, seem to get better the further North you go. Two I dealt with in Wales were (insert expletive of your choice)

I've only ever driven a 911 on track, massively different car, but if you're still interested in a 335i and haven't driven one then go test drive one at a dealership to suit you; even if you're not going to buy that one. Then if you like, and you later see one that suits, deal initially over the phone.

It's a game, play them like they play us.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 05:39 AM   #7
ally_bassman
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320d M Sport

That's a shame that the car got sold.

To be honest, my experience from buying my 2011 320d was great.

It was only a 15k car, but felt like I was buying a brand new M5 with the service that I got.

I was only 25 at the time and wasn't wearing particularly smart clothes but I didn't once feel patronised or that I shouldn't be there. Maybe it's just luck of the draw with the dealer and sales 'executive'..whatever that means.

Williams BMW Rochdale was my dealer, mighty impressed.
      08-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Not sure if i did the right thing but when i called the dealer about my current car he said to leave a deposit over the phone which is fully refundable if I felt the car does not meet my expectations. You might lose some bargaining power as your quite committed but its better than starting your car search all over again (can be quite stressful).
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #9
cs225
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
Not sure if i did the right thing but when i called the dealer about my current car he said to leave a deposit over the phone which is fully refundable if I felt the car does not meet my expectations. You might lose some bargaining power as your quite committed but its better than starting your car search all over again (can be quite stressful).
I agree, sensed the salesman was up against something, likely another salesman; when I asked for a picture of a scuff from video presentation and he replied "if your going to be pernickety we may as well leave it". Who wouldn't want a picture of a scuff flashed past on a video...

Would have done deposit except he was asked for £1000 NON refundable to hold for a week. I work hard during the week and wanted to see but I'm not paying £1k for the privilege.

Its not the end of the world. I'll sit tight, keep my head down and wait till something more appealing comes up :-/
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #10
cs225
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally_bassman View Post
That's a shame that the car got sold.

To be honest, my experience from buying my 2011 320d was great.

It was only a 15k car, but felt like I was buying a brand new M5 with the service that I got.

I was only 25 at the time and wasn't wearing particularly smart clothes but I didn't once feel patronised or that I shouldn't be there. Maybe it's just luck of the draw with the dealer and sales 'executive'..whatever that means.

Williams BMW Rochdale was my dealer, mighty impressed.
Good for you mate.

To be fair I'm probably holding on to it a bit much. Still, was a long wait before I decided it was time to leave and less fortunate this time I'd found a car I liked, I guess I choose a high stake franchise this time.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 07:33 PM   #11
cs225
Rep

Quote:
If it was at Sytner, I remember seeing the ad @ 22,850
I've had mixed experiences with their used sales people, seem to get better the further North you go. Two I dealt with in Wales were (insert expletive of your choice)

I've only ever driven a 911 on track, massively different car, but if you're still interested in a 335i and haven't driven one then go test drive one at a dealership to suit you; even if you're not going to buy that one. Then if you like, and you later see one that suits, deal initially over the phone.

It's a game, play them like they play us.
I haven't had much experience to be fair. Came out feeling dirty though 😢 , tricky (insert your own choice now)

Yeah, I don't think I'll be able to wait longer enough to be comfortable I can afford one just yet. Already decided against M3 on overall cost.
Will try and ask for drive in one somewhere this weekend, explain I have tried buying two now and been beaten twice. Hopefully they can keep an eye open and reach out to me proactively instead. Tired of waiting

The first one you say I enquires about might have the one you write of. 12k milage, black with oyster leather dct 313s? Called and they were unsure if sold for sure, chased up and they confirmed sold.

Did try and hype the salesman up a bit by refreshing the personal presentation again and again. Hopefully will suss them out by the time the right car becomes available.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 04:08 AM   #12
k9david
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i E92

Have you seen these, first one already seems down from £30k

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...Cnew&logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ries&logcode=p

Not main dealer but still under warranty which you could extend
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 06:56 AM   #13
smuler
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs225 View Post
I haven't had much experience to be fair. Came out feeling dirty though 😢 , tricky (insert your own choice now)

Yeah, I don't think I'll be able to wait longer enough to be comfortable I can afford one just yet. Already decided against M3 on overall cost.
Will try and ask for drive in one somewhere this weekend, explain I have tried buying two now and been beaten twice. Hopefully they can keep an eye open and reach out to me proactively instead. Tired of waiting

The first one you say I enquires about might have the one you write of. 12k milage, black with oyster leather dct 313s? Called and they were unsure if sold for sure, chased up and they confirmed sold.

Did try and hype the salesman up a bit by refreshing the personal presentation again and again. Hopefully will suss them out by the time the right car becomes available.

That sounds like the car. There's a SE on the AU database from Vines. I bought mine from their Gawtick branch. Absolutely superb service, guy was nothing like a typical salesman. Sadly he has moved on, it would seem to better things. SE has the sport seats/ suspension so should give you an indication if you like the car. I saw the other post. Personally I don't like the new 3/4 series as the steering lacks feel/ car is too big.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #14
cs225
Rep

Quote:
That sounds like the car. There's a SE on the AU database from Vines. I bought mine from their Gawtick branch. Absolutely superb service, guy was nothing like a typical salesman. Sadly he has moved on, it would seem to better things. SE has the sport seats/ suspension so should give you an indication if you like the car. I saw the other post. Personally I don't like the new 3/4 series as the steering lacks feel/ car is too big.
I saw this today, good price and low milage. Did realise it had sport suspension too. My thought was to consider and mod to look like m sport plus but I think that might be a bad idea when I comes to selling. Found a nice clk today, low milage 3.0 black on black for 12k at Seymour Pope in Herts.
I don't like the look of the new range of bmw's much, I've driven the new 320 and its not for me either.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:00 AM   #15
smuler
First Lieutenant
Rep

To be sure, always get the last 7 digits of the VIN and put them here
http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

BUT, yes, as standard, 335iSEs came with the sports seat and suspension, unless option was deleted (rare in my experience), in which case indicated in the build spec. in the archive

I know people with SE's who have changed the wheels, added a spoiler and blacked out the kidney grills to add to the look; as all these mods are using BMW parts it doesn't detract and I'm not so sure it spoils the resale.

Good point on the Mercs; the previous generation (pre 2014) I like, particularly as a saloon, for a change. But they must be in Sport trim with the badge in the grill: otherwise you look like you're an old man driving

However, the engines are not as good, or the handling. That's why the 335i is an exceptional car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:11 AM   #16
Murph335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 N54 e90, '10 N54 e93, TBSS

Garage List
2015 Tesla P85D  [0.00]
Route 66 warranty is the best and priced well thru penfed.

Applies to non m, no amg.
      08-20-2015, 03:06 AM   #17
smuler
First Lieutenant
Rep

This is near you, Bucks?
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...dr-dct/4396979
Appreciate 0