E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Checklist for standard-scope inspection (the squigly S symbol)?

08-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

Checklist for standard-scope inspection (the squigly S symbol)?

its obviously easier to just ignore the service light and do the reset but.....does anyone actually know what EXACTLY is checked in that "standard scope inspection"?

its this symbol specifically

Stock as stock can be (for now)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

The symbol is for the "driveability test." Your friendly BMW advisor will take it for a test drive to see if it is safe. If the car is driving fine, just reset it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Actually, that symbol is for your periodic state or local inspection and has nothing to do with the dealer. (If the symbol is shown at the rear of the car, then it is a state or local emissions inspection.)

And if the car is not subject to this inspection, then simply change the date thru the dash computer or iDrive as explained in the owner's manual. Since it is nearly 4 years overdue, I suspect your state/locality doesn't require a periodic inspection. Was it originally registered in another jurisdiction?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Actually, that symbol is for your periodic state or local inspection and has nothing to do with the dealer. (If the symbol is shown at the rear of the car, then it is a state or local emissions inspection.)

And if the car is not subject to this inspection, then simply change the date thru the dash computer or iDrive as explained in the owner's manual. Since it is nearly 4 years overdue, I suspect your state/locality doesn't require a periodic inspection. Was it originally registered in another jurisdiction?

Tom

oh, the image is not from my car directly
in my car it is red, the double S is located over the front of the car, and its a month overdue.

but i went ahead and set it for one year from now

Stock as stock can be (for now)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 10:17 PM   #5
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

Tom K. is correct if you have iDrive and the inspection dates or intervals are entered into the system. On cars without iDrive (like mine) it only means (road worthiness test), nothing more.
Appreciate 0