E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Random squeaking while driving around?

08-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
AndrewPage
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Random squeaking while driving around?

Sometimes, when driving around at low speeds, I hear squeaking noises coming from the left side of the car. Not sure what exactly is causing it. I hear it when I'm just rolling along at low speed without brakes, so I don't think its the brakes.

Any ideas what it could be? Not sure if I should have it looked at or not. Its annoying, sure, but unless its actually causing damage I don't really care.

Would appreciate advice! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
blackhawkk22
They don't want you to drive a 335i - DJ Khaled
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335i AT M-Sport

Inside or outside the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
andrysha
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Might be brake sensor, common issue. If you search the forum will find plenty of threads, seems like there is no 100% fix thought
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
Mezzy113
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewPage View Post
Sometimes, when driving around at low speeds, I hear squeaking noises coming from the left side of the car. Not sure what exactly is causing it. I hear it when I'm just rolling along at low speed without brakes, so I don't think its the brakes.

Any ideas what it could be? Not sure if I should have it looked at or not. Its annoying, sure, but unless its actually causing damage I don't really care.

I have the same exact problem, sometimes it goes away but it happens way more often than not.

I've read that it has something to do with the wear sensors on the brakes or something that may have to do with the pads still making contact even when released. It's annoying as hell but I haven't had the chance to look in to it much yet. I'm kind of just waiting until it's time to do a brake change to address it, but hopefully someone can provide some insight.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
AndrewPage
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkk22 View Post
Inside or outside the car?
Outside
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #6
AndrewPage
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzy113 View Post
I have the same exact problem, sometimes it goes away but it happens way more often than not.

I've read that it has something to do with the wear sensors on the brakes or something that may have to do with the pads still making contact even when released. It's annoying as hell but I haven't had the chance to look in to it much yet. I'm kind of just waiting until it's time to do a brake change to address it, but hopefully someone can provide some insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrysha View Post
Might be brake sensor, common issue. If you search the forum will find plenty of threads, seems like there is no 100% fix thought
Is there a part that can be replaced?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #7
kctim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I had a similar issue, was like a high frequency squeal/squeak noise and only at low speeds. Dealership fixed it by replacing one of the brake sensors. The shop foreman says it's pretty common, may be what you're experiencing.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #8
AndrewPage
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If it is the brake sensor, does squeaking indicate that its faulty? I realize that the brake sensors are a safety component (they let you know if your brakes are fucked), so I want to make sure thats replaced if they're not working.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #9
ilicboris
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi

Same issue here. Can't tell which side it's coming from, definitely the front though. Happened when I first bought the car and then it went away and actually last night it came back super loud. Like embarrassingly loud as I was coasting through a parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
sankohuy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilicboris View Post
Same issue here. Can't tell which side it's coming from, definitely the front though. Happened when I first bought the car and then it went away and actually last night it came back super loud. Like embarrassingly loud as I was coasting through a parking lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kctim View Post
I had a similar issue, was like a high frequency squeal/squeak noise and only at low speeds. Dealership fixed it by replacing one of the brake sensors. The shop foreman says it's pretty common, may be what you're experiencing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzy113 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewPage View Post

I used to have this problem too, but no more! Squeaky sound comes from rear side when going 2-15 mph. I was on OEM brake pads and rotors. I removed the break sensors, didn't solve it. Even lubed up the pads, still squeaks. So I decided to change them both, Akebono pads and Centric rotors. Problem solved, after 4 months on Non-OEM parts, still no squeaks.

I've come to the conclusion is that, OEM brakes produce a lot of dusts, which in turn, causes this squeaks. Now, if you guys are not on OEM parts and have this squeak, then I have no idea hahaha
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #11
AndrewPage
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sankohuy View Post
I used to have this problem too, but no more! Squeaky sound comes from rear side when going 2-15 mph. I was on OEM brake pads and rotors. I removed the break sensors, didn't solve it. Even lubed up the pads, still squeaks. So I decided to change them both, Akebono pads and Centric rotors. Problem solved, after 4 months on Non-OEM parts, still no squeaks.

I've come to the conclusion is that, OEM brakes produce a lot of dusts, which in turn, causes this squeaks. Now, if you guys are not on OEM parts and have this squeak, then I have no idea hahaha
Thanks for the info! When you installed the aftermarket pads and rotors, did you replace the brake sensors as well? Did you replace them with OEM or aftermarket sensors?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #12
sankohuy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewPage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sankohuy View Post

Thanks for the info! When you installed the aftermarket pads and rotors, did you replace the brake sensors as well? Did you replace them with OEM or aftermarket sensors?
I never bothered to reinstall the sensor. I just cut them, crossed the wires then tape them, error free.
Appreciate 0