E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Grimwood1992 visit

08-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #1
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Grimwood1992 visit

Mike paid us a visit today, we'd been talking for a while re his new M3, that he has purchased not long ago. Long and the short of it was that the car needed the basic TLC care, service, that hadn't been completed by the selling dealer. Long story but that brings us to the event today.

However before the pre book visit Mike contacted me at the back end of last week re his rear brakes, the light came on which he clearly wasn't expecting so over a PM or 2 like Seb(Ess's car)I asked him simply to forward a couple of pics of the cars rear brakes simple as and I'll have a look, do this day in day out so no bother Mike went out snapped a couple of shots and then realised yep all was not as it seemed, pics were PM'd over to me for a look. And these are the very pictures sent over

and this is what after a quick look I pinged back to Mike so that he could be made aware of why the light had pinged on. Quite eye openining

So Mike knew before hand re this issue that apart from a pad wear light being on and after seeing them in say a more thorough way the rears were looking quite tied shall we say, and contacted his selling dealer re what had shown up.

So here you find Mike's car in our work shop for a full on service, diagnostic and vehicle check.

So wheels off after the test drive pre work and time for diagnostic check inclduign coding Mikes fitted LED rears and the start of the vehicle check and today the car was being looked after by Josh's best mate Alanwho hw loves dearly

Well diagnostic went well cars very healthy re all systems a few erros on board but nothing whatsoever to worry out and everything could easily be address. What we did discover is that the front pads had been changed not too long ago.. which is good new.. re set on the computer but on these you also need to inform the DSC system that the car has had a pad change, therefore though the on board computer registered a pad change and on the clock it showed it was nigh on 100% on the DSC system it was still registering pad wear low on the front axle(Mike has the prints for this)an therefore the cars DSC system needed to be told of the pad change, standard stuff for us but as seen other places would't do it/wouldn't know they needed to do it, but not a problem. So hows the car.

Overall Mike's bought a good car no issues really anywhere the only fly in the ointment lies again with the brakes. Lets start with those rear brakes.

Wheels off and I knew what to expect this is what we saw

The car had an MOT and had passed with no advisory's yet Mikes not done any real mileage and the pad wear light was on. On the outer pads we had barely 2mm with slight uneven pad wear inner pads on both rear wheels are on around 1.5mm - 1mm sensors touching but more worringly is the state of the discs as you can see corroded, they are heavily scored and the lip on the discs is actually crumbling away. So no advisoriesgarage was duly informed by Mike and things are on going, but until it's sorted with the supplying dealer due to costs these discs remain on the car, which isn't ideal, but hopefully things will come to a head. Standards vary we know that and sadly here's an example.

Also noted was the fact that the cars MOT brake efficiency was undertaken using standard brake rollers, as M3's have an LSD brake effiiciency needs to be done using a G meter. The garage was informed they spoke to their MOT centre who appear to of done a standrd roller test. I explained why it shouldn't be done using a brake roller(VOSA even state how hte test should be done for specific cars on their system)as roller testing a LSD exuipped car can have implications on the diff as well as the centres rollers. Basic stuff but often not known.

Front brakes. New pads on worn discs but discs are OK to run with

Overall a nice car all the better I hope for the servicing work undertaken. And Mike went away happy and better informed

Good seeing you Mike hope re the brakes which afterall was the only main issue something comes good re what we have uncovered.

Last edited by old grey steve; 08-13-2015 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
AirAndre335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Pre Lci

HAHA

ALAN is The Man!!!
He is the only person that's allowed to touch my car!

He love me long time!

Those rear discs and pads were in a shocking state. Glad it's all sorted now!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 12:36 AM   #3
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirAndre335i View Post
HAHA

ALAN is The Man!!!
He is the only person that's allowed to touch my car!

He love me long time!

Those rear discs and pads were in a shocking state. Glad it's all sorted now!
The rears are still in situ Josh. Something Mikes having to sort with the supplying dealer.
      08-13-2015, 06:28 AM   #4
grimwood1992
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Thanks for the write up Steve, very happy with what you have done and you have definately gone above and beyond the call of duty. I'll keep you posted re the rear brakes, hopefully I'll get a response from them before close of play. Highly unlikely though I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 07:03 AM   #5
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimwood1992 View Post
Thanks for the write up Steve, very happy with what you have done and you have definately gone above and beyond the call of duty. I'll keep you posted re the rear brakes, hopefully I'll get a response from them before close of play. Highly unlikely though I'm sure.
No issues re helping out re the brakes the garage have the info facts and pictures all they can do is digest this and as they stated ask the question as to why the visual condition wasn't pointed out(we both know they want the cars to go out with no MOT advisory's)but in this condition there's no way you could ignore this, the only way to ensure there were no advisory's re disc condition would of been to replace them like wise as the pads were so low again should of been pointed out that they were visually close to minimum thickness. As we know all the above wasn't present which begs the question...... garage is aware its an internal matter for them and their preferred MOT station hopefully something will come of it but we've done all we can
      08-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #6
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Oh yeah, showing a bit of ye old hasslehoff are we Mike
      08-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
singh21
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

That m3 is a beast!!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #8
grimwood1992
Lieutenant
Rep

Haha Sam used the time to go to the gym didn't i 😆😆😆😆

Thanks singh21 I love it and good to no I didn't buy a peice of sh**t after steves inspection
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Haha Sam used the time to go to the gym didn't i ��������

Thanks singh21 I love it and good to no I didn't buy a peice of sh**t after steves inspection
Replied to your email Mike put a photo of a recent MOT re disc pad advisory to illustrate what you should place on the MOT document should brakes when visually inspected be lipped, corroded scored, worn plus there will be a separate line to illustrate a pad deficiency if viewed as getting low.

If the pads are on the level of thickness that we saw as we stated when you were here and you were talking to Alan they'd be advised accordingly, we have a 530GT in here today that's failed on the pads as the inner pad is on or below 1mm and that's a fail based on what the MOT criteria is regarding these items and yours isn't that far away re pad wear and visually those disc tell their own story.

All I can say is as garage they have their own prep standards, the cars brakes as we proved meet the current MOT criteria re efficiency that is not the question here its the condition and the pad wear that is up for discussion and the fact that it isn't displayed on the certificate and that from my point of view is down to the what the tester sees and that's the sticky point here.

We know new pads were fitted to the front discs and they are recent as well. I hope you manage to get something sorted Mile but as I can kind of make out it'll be you v the selling dealer/MOT centre, but as for the car brakes aside its a nice M3 seen a lot worse trust me so overall you've bought well
      08-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #10
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

I'm shocked by the condition of those disks! They make mine look good, Steve!? Do you see this often?

Great to read you as always.

Love an M3
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #11
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
I'm shocked by the condition of those disks! They make mine look good, Steve!? Do you see this often?

Great to read you as always.

Love an M3
Ta. But yes see it all to often when Mike came in I walked over to his car from about 20ft away saw all I needed to see(mind you already knew the answers from the photos sent pre visit, like you did, thing is it's a double edge sword because on the one hand the pads were when we inspected them very low fuses worn as viewed, yet on efficiency they make the grade whic was how the MOT was judged.

So all Mike can do is tackle the condition/wear deficiency on the brakes and see what happens but in working efficiencyre the brakes as proven they pass the MOT standard.
      08-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Ta. But yes see it all to often when Mike came in I walked over to his car from about 20ft away saw all I needed to see(mind you already knew the answers from the photos sent pre visit, like you did, thing is it's a double edge sword because on the one hand the pads were when we inspected them very low fuses worn as viewed, yet on efficiency they make the grade whic was how the MOT was judged.

So all Mike can do is tackle the condition/wear deficiency on the brakes and see what happens but in working efficiencyre the brakes as proven they pass the MOT standard.
Hmm, fair enough I suppose.

Steve are you coming to Gaydon tomorrow?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #13
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post

Steve are you coming to Gaydon tomorrow?
Sadly no... I eat breathe these things 24/7 of late Seb. Call it a day off
      08-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #14
grimwood1992
Lieutenant
Rep

So palmed off again and told im not Gonna get a response until Monday regarding the brakes. I have in writing that there paying Half of the service but still have no money in my account hopefully it will get sorted. In the mean time not willing to hold out on the brakes much longer and upon looking the cheapest I could find the discs for was £146 each plus £45 for each set of pads and another £11 for the wear sensor.

Stumbled across a set of discs on eBay which were on auction for 5 days. Gave them a call and luckily they were £200 for the pair brand new still ok the package bmw discs. Where over in Essex so taking the petrol costs into considering best for them to be sent for an additional £20

Car parts for less are doing £15 off £100. Brake pads and sensor came to £99.60 lol so added in some random 27p item x2 to get the discoint.

So £305 for parts, cheap as I could get them luckily. Hopefully reducing the bill for them will make them pay according. Then ill either get them fitted or just do them myself. Probably he later.

The last time I changed discs on my e93 one of the locator bolts was really seized on and I have to drill it out as best I could. Ended up having to use the wheel bolts to hold the disc on which wasn't ideal. The discs haven't been change for the life of the car. 6 years and 59000 miles so I'm banking on them being a nightmare and on the m3 there are two each side.

Steve any tips to get them off?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #15
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Sadly no... I eat breathe these things 24/7 of late Seb. Call it a day off
No problem Steve, I understand!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 09:53 AM   #16
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So palmed off again and told im not Gonna get a response until Monday regarding the brakes. I have in writing that there paying Half of the service but still have no money in my account hopefully it will get sorted. In the mean time not willing to hold out on the brakes much longer and upon looking the cheapest I could find the discs for was £146 each plus £45 for each set of pads and another £11 for the wear sensor.

Stumbled across a set of discs on eBay which were on auction for 5 days. Gave them a call and luckily they were £200 for the pair brand new still ok the package bmw discs. Where over in Essex so taking the petrol costs into considering best for them to be sent for an additional £20

Car parts for less are doing £15 off £100. Brake pads and sensor came to £99.60 lol so added in some random 27p item x2 to get the discoint.

So £305 for parts, cheap as I could get them luckily. Hopefully reducing the bill for them will make them pay according. Then ill either get them fitted or just do them myself. Probably he later.

The last time I changed discs on my e93 one of the locator bolts was really seized on and I have to drill it out as best I could. Ended up having to use the wheel bolts to hold the disc on which wasn't ideal. The discs haven't been change for the life of the car. 6 years and 59000 miles so I'm banking on them being a nightmare and on the m3 there are two each side.

Steve any tips to get them off?
So no money back re the service.... A bit disappointing as I called a good week before things proceeded with advance warning etc. re costs. Ummm not good really as it was planned and I don't really have to do all this organising type stuff, burning time sorting stuff out, but I do because it's the right thing to do, but I do I know what I said, I know what was agreed over the phone as I spelt it out and stated the process re payment to ensure Mike wasn't out of pocket as I wasn't going to expect a split payment and gave time to the dealer to ensure money was transferred to Mike well in advance, so a little disappointed it hasn't happened Mike TBH.

Re the brakes always was going to be a sticky one, they sadly met the MOT criteria re efficiency, therefore passed but pads re remaining usefulness was very low re remaining life when we saw it and as you've had the car for say 6 or so weeks and it's a weekend only car the mileage you'd of done to me would clearly say thst upon test though they went through on efficiency they'd of still of been questionably low and should of been duly advised, but as the dealer stated to me their cars must go out MOT wise with no advisory said and no advisorys on an MOT certificate means that everything is beyond a serviceable reproach meaning everything will not require attention for a reasonable length if time. Thus clearly things like this according to that analyst should not come up for review so soon. As for the discs if Ray Chsrles and Stevie Wonder were on the case a lack of visions not needed as by feel they'll read like grail and I dare say it'll read "tired and corroded"

When you look at the brakes in general Mike from what I saw I don't think you'll struggle overall getting them swapped out I don't think I saw anything untoward there for concern, but thats not to say they'll be issues, but if you go for it yourself great, remember after re setting the counter to have someone also re set the DSC setup as we explained otherwise that'll be operating on the assumption of worn pads still.

Re the brake costs then the ones you've seen don't seem to bad, perhaps a way to close the book on the saga is when you re visit talking to the dealership re getting you service money contribution and having had them analyse the brakes over time perhaps offering them the cheaper alternative will be a way of getting some commitment for final closure but judging by the amount of time spent getting this far maybe not.
      08-17-2015, 02:32 AM   #17
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Did my own rear brakes yesterday:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gu1ebvnvuc...27.49.jpg?dl=0

I think they were needing it!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #18
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Mike sent me some pics of his disc pads and handbrake shoes today, managed to call him and have a quick chat re what he'd discoverd

Seen worse. But its not clever, 100% advisory for me on any service sheet or any MOT certificate where they pass the brake efficiency test or not.