E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Upgrade your Tial BOV vacuum line!

08-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Upgrade your Tial BOV vacuum line!

For those of you guys using a Tial BOV, I highly recommend upgrading the vacuum line and nipple to full 1/4" ID.

I've gone nearly a year using a 3.5mm ID (roughly stock) line with the stock plastic nipple on the intake. After switching to 1/4" the BOV is much much more responsive, I didn't know what I was missing! It opens instantly even at lower boost and the flutter I was getting at lower boost is gone now. I think the plastic nipple on the intake was the bottleneck.

I removed the intake and cut off the old plastic nipple, then drilled/tapped the same hole for 1/8" NPT in order to thread in a 1/4" brass hose barb fitting. NPT threads seal very well already but I used a good amount of high-temp RTV to better seal it to the intake. JB Weld probably would have been a better and more permanent solution but I didn't have any.

Except for drying time of the sealant, it took just a few hours to do. I think Tial recommends a 1/4" line too.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sorry, meant to post this in the N54 section

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
dillonmpower
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335I coupe

Can you post photos ?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 01:10 AM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
For those of you guys using a Tial BOV, I highly recommend upgrading the vacuum line and nipple to full 1/4" ID.

I've gone nearly a year using a 3.5mm ID (roughly stock) line with the stock plastic nipple on the intake. After switching to 1/4" the BOV is much much more responsive, I didn't know what I was missing! It opens instantly even at lower boost and the flutter I was getting at lower boost is gone now. I think the plastic nipple on the intake was the bottleneck.

I removed the intake and cut off the old plastic nipple, then drilled/tapped the same hole for 1/8" NPT in order to thread in a 1/4" brass hose barb fitting. NPT threads seal very well already but I used a good amount of high-temp RTV to better seal it to the intake. JB Weld probably would have been a better and more permanent solution but I didn't have any.

Except for drying time of the sealant, it took just a few hours to do. I think Tial recommends a 1/4" line too.
not sure if i am missing something here, i have an LCI ER Chargepipe on my pre lci n54, with a tial Q BOV VTA, do i still need to change the vacuum line and do all this stuff?? I've never noticed an issue on my FBO car in the past 50k miles
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #5
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
not sure if i am missing something here, i have an LCI ER Chargepipe on my pre lci n54, with a tial Q BOV VTA, do i still need to change the vacuum line and do all this stuff?? I've never noticed an issue on my FBO car in the past 50k miles
Chances are your BOV isn't working optimally with a stock ID vacuum line. If it's working well-enough though, then you might not want to mess with it. But if you get bored or have you intake off for another reason (like walnut blasting) then this would be a good time to upgrade the line and fitting on the intake.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
Chances are your BOV isn't working optimally with a stock ID vacuum line. If it's working well-enough though, then you might not want to mess with it. But if you get bored or have you intake off for another reason (like walnut blasting) then this would be a good time to upgrade the line and fitting on the intake.
Linky to a replacement vacuum line to get? I want a black color one to look more stock.
Appreciate 0