E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car won't start

08-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
joebattle1
Rep
Drives: BMW 06 325xit Wagon

Car won't start

This has been a problem that has gotten worse and worse and finally full failure. My 06 E91xdrive w/ 67k won't start. It started doing this about a month ago. I would stick the key in all lights come on but the car starter won't turn over. If I take the key out, stick the key in, take the key out, stick the key in etc etc... eventually it would start. It got worse over time and now this trick is no longer working. The battery was replaced recently and so was the starter. Ignition switch maybe? Electrical short somewhere? Is this a common issue? I've searched but didn't find anyone with similar issues. Anyone have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
AndrewPage
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebattle1 View Post
This has been a problem that has gotten worse and worse and finally full failure. My 06 E91xdrive w/ 67k won't start. It started doing this about a month ago. I would stick the key in all lights come on but the car starter won't turn over. If I take the key out, stick the key in, take the key out, stick the key in etc etc... eventually it would start. It got worse over time and now this trick is no longer working. The battery was replaced recently and so was the starter. Ignition switch maybe? Electrical short somewhere? Is this a common issue? I've searched but didn't find anyone with similar issues. Anyone have this problem?
Similar thing happens in my car when my foot isn't on the brake. Try that? lol
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

Checking the brake switch is a good recommendation, could also be the neutral safety switch on the transmission, or as you mentioned, a problem with the ignition switch.
      08-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
joebattle1
Rep
Drives: BMW 06 325xit Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
Checking the brake switch is a good recommendation, could also be the neutral safety switch on the transmission, or as you mentioned, a problem with the ignition switch.
I have a 6 spd man which requires your foot to be on the clutch not the brake but you raise a valid point... It could be the clutch sensor switch as well.
Appreciate 0