E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Security Device - car cant start with a chip in range?

08-12-2015, 04:25 AM   #1
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Security Device - car cant start with a chip in range?

hi,

I have met a few people who have some security devices on their car.

a couple have something like the car wont start if they don't carry this chip with them.

and if thieves manage to start the car it dies out after a minute or when it loses range or something.

does anyone know more info about this and if it is possible to have on BMW's?

every night I'm trying to block my car in so thieves cant get into it and make the key etc so its a proper ballache

thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 04:57 AM   #2
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

Maple security do something like that, seen it on vans before. Surely it would be easier to disable to power to the engine by a switch or something to stop it starting. Or bypass starter wire.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 05:34 AM   #3
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

or relocate the Diagnostic connector so they cant mess about trying to code new keys...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 05:59 AM   #4
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I'm surprised theres not a health & safety clause that prevents this for the 'safety' of the thief.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 06:03 AM   #5
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

Ive had mine for 15 years, takes seconds to put on and off and provides a very visual deterrent
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 06:43 AM   #6
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Get a Clifford Blackjax fitted.Fantastic bit of kit.Pair it up with a disclock,a pedal box and move your obd (or fit and obd lock) and it should be quite safe!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911
Get a Clifford Blackjax fitted.Fantastic bit of kit.Pair it up with a disclock,a pedal box and move your obd (or fit and obd lock) and it should be quite safe!
+1

Could it be that the chip may be by Tracker? It is like a driver ID tag/immobiliser device
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Did anyone see the recent Dragons Den episode. Someone pitched a mobile phone app that locks your car. And it prevents you from starting it even with the original fob
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17
Did anyone see the recent Dragons Den episode. Someone pitched a mobile phone app that locks your car. And it prevents you from starting it even with the original fob
Seemed like a good idea until everyone realised that you'd be fucked if you lost your phone.Or the battery was flat.Or you had no signal.A work in progress:
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 02:52 AM   #10
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

my friends got a Clifford on his 335d but tells me its worth like £500+ which I don't wanna spend.

he has to press these buttons on the alarm fob first before starting the car otherwise if you forget to do it and try start it the car just cranks

other guy I know got a system on his van which he said cost him 180 which aint bad...he carrys a chip with him and car wont start if not in range.

I don't want to do the obd move thing as if thieves have enough time they could take the footwell shelf off and find it or something so this kind of alarm is what I want
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 03:26 AM   #11
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep

You don't have to have the full Clifford alarm.You can buy the standalone blackjack system,like I have fitted.Just get it fitted properly by someone who knows what they're doing.
Re the full alarm-£500 isn't much when you look at how much you value your car and the hassle of losing it causes you.I bought a Clifford alarm system on a different car and had it refitted in another car,so it's a worthwhile investment.To me.
Remember that one of the reasons why we move the obd is because of the alarm blind spot.If it's somewhere other than usual place,the alarm is more likely to go off.The blind spot at the moment is huge and that's one of the reasons why they're so easy to steal.
Shit security isn't worth the effort-we're giving you pointers for decent workarounds to hopefully keep your p and j in one piece.Your decision at the end of the day...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 03:41 AM   #12
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

It doesn't matter what electronic devices are added, if they want it they will get round them.
Prevention is better than cure, and if they see a big disklok on the wheel which takes a lot of time and noise to remove, they are more likely to move on to another car that doesn't have one fitted
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 03:49 AM   #13
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest View Post
It doesn't matter what electronic devices are added, if they want it they will get round them.
Prevention is better than cure, and if they see a big disklok on the wheel which takes a lot of time and noise to remove, they are more likely to move on to another car that doesn't have one fitted
This!

Always have my disclock and use it everywhere from shops to nights out. Just won't risk it!
      08-13-2015, 04:34 AM   #14
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
You don't have to have the full Clifford alarm.You can buy the standalone blackjack system,like I have fitted.Just get it fitted properly by someone who knows what they're doing.
Re the full alarm-£500 isn't much when you look at how much you value your car and the hassle of losing it causes you.I bought a Clifford alarm system on a different car and had it refitted in another car,so it's a worthwhile investment.To me.
Remember that one of the reasons why we move the obd is because of the alarm blind spot.If it's somewhere other than usual place,the alarm is more likely to go off.The blind spot at the moment is huge and that's one of the reasons why they're so easy to steal.
Shit security isn't worth the effort-we're giving you pointers for decent workarounds to hopefully keep your p and j in one piece.Your decision at the end of the day...
interesting...what is this blackjack system you speak of and where can I find it? also what does it do? and price?

Quote:
so you telling me they wont get passed something that's stuck onto the steering wheel if they are professional thieves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
This!

Always have my disclock and use it everywhere from shops to nights out. Just won't risk it!
how long does it honestly take you to take it off and on? I just think they look really ugly lol even though It may scare em off id rather spend abit more and have high tec alarm system.

p.s - don't think them guys could see my post on insta you tagged them in cause my accounts on private
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 05:22 AM   #15
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

To put on, 3 seconds. Take off, 5 seconds. No word of lie. It's that simple and just its presence is enough to warns others not to even bother. Bought mine off Gumtree a long time ago and it lives permanently in my car.

Why not get a disclock 1st and try it out? I thought it looks ugly too at first for extra peace of mind knowing my car will be even harder to take, it helps my sleep better. Plus insurance may even go down too!

Upto you but I think you're approaching this in the wrong way. You say you want an alarm but don't want to spend alot, but you say you want to have a high tech system? Work out what exactly you want this alarm system to do and your budget and move from there. Many on here have the full Viper Security system, proximity sensor, tilting, remote start etc ... and others with a simpler solution that does the job without the brand.

When I do mine, I'll want all the bells and whistles with it... GL
      08-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #16
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
so you telling me they wont get passed something that's stuck onto the steering wheel if they are professional thieves?
You're missing the point!
Yes, of course they can and will get past ANYTHING, including the most high tech alarm or electronics that you can think of.
If they want it, they will take it. Simple as that.

HOWEVER, if you can create a deterrent and make your car less appealing to steal that the next one down the road, then you increase the odds of yours staying where it is.

Yes, of course a disklok is ugly, it is meant to be. What is the point of having a security device designed to put criminals off if you cannot see it?

If your car looking good while parked up is more important than its security then you've got your priorities wrong.

As already mentioned, it takes literally seconds to put on and remove and if you have no passengers in the rear after a few goes you can remove it while sat in the drivers seat and reach round to put it behind your seat on the floor. The same goes for fitting too.

Watch this from 1:40 onwards

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 06:26 AM   #17
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
You're missing the point!
Yes, of course they can and will get past ANYTHING, including the most high tech alarm or electronics that you can think of.
If they want it, they will take it. Simple as that.

HOWEVER, if you can create a deterrent and make your car less appealing to steal that the next one down the road, then you increase the odds of yours staying where it is.

Yes, of course a disklok is ugly, it is meant to be. What is the point of having a security device designed to put criminals off if you cannot see it?

If your car looking good while parked up is more important than its security then you've got your priorities wrong.

As already mentioned, it takes literally seconds to put on and remove and if you have no passengers in the rear after a few goes you can remove it while sat in the drivers seat and reach round to put it behind your seat on the floor. The same goes for fitting too.

Watch this from 1:40 onwards

And let the arms race begin!!!
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 06:50 AM   #18
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

What arms race is that?
I've been using a disklok for 15 years on a Cosworth, Vectra GSI, Cavalier Turbo, Audi S2, S4, RS4 and various others and never had a car touched.
Anyone who says one is not beneficial is being stupid
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #19
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
To put on, 3 seconds. Take off, 5 seconds. No word of lie. It's that simple and just its presence is enough to warns others not to even bother. Bought mine off Gumtree a long time ago and it lives permanently in my car.

Why not get a disclock 1st and try it out? I thought it looks ugly too at first for extra peace of mind knowing my car will be even harder to take, it helps my sleep better. Plus insurance may even go down too!

Upto you but I think you're approaching this in the wrong way. You say you want an alarm but don't want to spend alot, but you say you want to have a high tech system? Work out what exactly you want this alarm system to do and your budget and move from there. Many on here have the full Viper Security system, proximity sensor, tilting, remote start etc ... and others with a simpler solution that does the job without the brand.

When I do mine, I'll want all the bells and whistles with it... GL
don't want to sound like a snob or anything but putting a disklock on a 20grand+ X6 just seems so silly and tight. ive always only ever seen them on KA's or something similar not that my cars better than any other im not saying that

yes ok £500 is a lot to spend which is why I said I don't want to spend it when I know I might be able to get something out there that does the same thing without a top brand name on it

£250 seems reasonable considering a guy I know is saying hes got what I need for £180-£200 on his car but hes un reachable at the moment and Im sick of sleeping with window open
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #20
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
don't want to sound like a snob or anything but putting a disklock on a 20grand+ X6 just seems so silly and tight. ive always only ever seen them on KA's or something similar not that my cars better than any other im not saying that

yes ok £500 is a lot to spend which is why I said I don't want to spend it when I know I might be able to get something out there that does the same thing without a top brand name on it

£250 seems reasonable considering a guy I know is saying hes got what I need for £180-£200 on his car but hes un reachable at the moment and Im sick of sleeping with window open
Understand that but it's not always to do with how much you spend. I'm all for alarms but I feel having a dislock is a very useful deterrent.

If a thief was faced with 2 BMWs side by side....... 1 with a disclock and 1 without (he isn't to know if either is fitted with top of the rang alarm kit).... guess which one he'd not bother attempting at 1st glance.............

I'm just trying to help you here..ultimately your money and your call but owning a £20k car doesn't automatically exempt you from taking simple deterrent solutions LOL. I strongly believe in a disclock simply for it's visual impact.
      08-13-2015, 09:10 AM   #21
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Putting an extra security device on a 20 grand car which only takes seconds to fit and remove and has decades of a good track record sounds like common sense to me.
I think you're confusing them with crook locks, which are a waste of time.
Oh well, it's your car and your risk
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #22
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Understand that but it's not always to do with how much you spend. I'm all for alarms but I feel having a dislock is a very useful deterrent.

If a thief was faced with 2 BMWs side by side....... 1 with a disclock and 1 without (he isn't to know if either is fitted with top of the rang alarm kit).... guess which one he'd not bother attempting at 1st glance.............

I'm just trying to help you here..ultimately your money and your call but owning a £20k car doesn't automatically exempt you from taking simple deterrent solutions LOL. I strongly believe in a disclock simply for it's visual impact.
personal preference really but for me I would not want one of them ugly yellow things on my steering wheel and if I was to get one id have to limo tint the shit out of my front windows

back to my original question is there anything for around £200 £300 that I can fit to trigger my alarm and cut power to the car if a chip or anything like that isn't in range? or any kind of code to do before starting the car so no1 can clone my key

Quote:
Putting an extra security device on a 20 grand car which only takes seconds to fit and remove and has decades of a good track record sounds like common sense to me.
I think you're confusing them with crook locks, which are a waste of time.
Oh well, it's your car and your risk
whats a disklock cost? £50-£100? id rather double that and buy a alarm trigger security thing that cant start my car without some kind of fob or chip in range etc like my first post
Appreciate 0