F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Should've googled that Google
Studio RSR
Closed Thread

08-12-2015, 12:38 AM   #1
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Should've googled that Google

And now BMW is all like sheeet biatch
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1160847

That'll be 2 billion $$$, thank you.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 02:03 AM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
lol
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

08-12-2015, 02:17 AM   #3
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Lol, awesome. I feel like this is taunt worthy. They should make the home page say, "Haha." Leave it at that.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
BMW - The Ultimate Cybersquatting Trolls.

Last edited by tex2670; 08-12-2015 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

It's interesting... Especially in the light of BMW apparent preference for Apple (just try using Android in your BMW). That will be resolved, but it will cost Google a lot.

At the same time, Alphabet's true motive is to continue evading taxes around the world by splitting up the business in several entities. That will save Google enough dough to buy the domain. Google became evil in a way that MS wouldn't have dreamed of.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
At the same time, Alphabet's true motive is to continue evading taxes around the world by splitting up the business in several entities. That will save Google enough dough to buy the domain. Google became evil in a way that MS wouldn't have dreamed of.
I don't really think creating a corporate umbrella really gives them any additional edge in taxes that they already have.

Plus, Google doesn't really have any interest in the domain as far as I know. BMW doesn't want to sell it plus Alphabet already has one abc.xyz. I don't really see why they desperately need to own alphabet.com. They are just a corporate shell, a holding company. If they directly interacted with clients/customers then yeah it'd be an issue.

BMW could theoretically sue for trademark infringement since BMW builds cars...and Google builds self driving cars so that'll be interesting. On top of that, Google has over $100 BILLION in cash...don't think they'd have much of an issue of buying that domain if BMW wanted to sell it, problem is, the alphabet.com webpage currently is a consumer facing website I believe since BMW does need it for business purposes hence why they have no desire to sell it.

Don't know why such a cynical post. All the corporate umbrella does is make it easier to acquire other companies. Under Google, any company they acquired became a part of Google which meant the executives in the acquired company were shown the door.

Having the corporate umbrella makes it more attractive for small businesses to be acquired by Google (well now the acquiring would be done by Alphabet), you'd basically still be the CEO of your company and operate independently of Google, you'd just fall under the Alphabet corporate umbrella. Smart move since Larry Page loves to invest in these "science projects", but he tends to look into things that don't make any money (examples, YouTube, Zagat). Smart move although I doubt it'll impress Wall Street TOO much. Larry Page's proclivity to invest in these little projects vs. money making ventures is well known, Wall Street still knows where the real money is coming from. This is just Larry Page's way of being able to do what he likes, which isn't talking about balance sheets and quarterly income statements in analyst earning calls as the now former CEO of Google.

But as far as some evil plot to avoid taxes, it doesn't really give them much of an additional advantage. There's other advantages here which concerns receiving additional capital but I haven't had my coffee yet and don't feel like getting into that.

Last edited by fecurtis; 08-12-2015 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
ft1330
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I don't really think creating a corporate umbrella really gives them any additional edge in taxes that they already have.

Plus, Google doesn't really have any interest in the domain as far as I know. BMW doesn't want to sell it plus Alphabet already has one abc.xyz. I don't really see why they desperately need to own alphabet.com. They are just a corporate shell, a holding company. If they directly interacted with clients/customers then yeah it'd be an issue.

BMW could theoretically sue for trademark infringement since BMW builds cars...and Google builds self driving cars so that'll be interesting. On top of that, Google has over $100 BILLION in cash...don't think they'd have much of an issue of buying that domain if BMW wanted to sell it, problem is, the alphabet.com webpage currently is a consumer facing website I believe since BMW does need it for business purposes hence why they have no desire to sell it.

Don't know why such a cynical post. All the corporate umbrella does is make it easier to acquire other companies. Under Google, any company they acquired became a part of Google which meant the executives in the acquired company were shown the door.

Having the corporate umbrella makes it more attractive for small businesses to be acquired by Google (well now the acquiring would be done by Alphabet), you'd basically still be the CEO of your company and operate independently of Google, you'd just fall under the Alphabet corporate umbrella. Smart move since Larry Page loves to invest in these "science projects", but he tends to look into things that don't make any money (examples, YouTube, Zagat). Smart move although I doubt it'll impress Wall Street TOO much. Larry Page's proclivity to invest in these little projects vs. money making ventures is well known, Wall Street still knows where the real money is coming from. This is just Larry Page's way of being able to do what he likes, which isn't talking about balance sheets and quarterly income statements in analyst earning calls as the now former CEO of Google.

But as far as some evil plot to avoid taxes, it doesn't really give them much of an additional advantage. There's other advantages here which concerns receiving additional capital but I haven't had my coffee yet and don't feel like getting into that.
Google is currently under investigation in several European nations for not paying their fair share of taxes. I can't help but think that splitting up the business and making it more complicated to fine the business as a whole entity, is part of the decision. Defending Google was cool in 2005.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Wow you would think Google with all their innovators would come up with a more original name than "Alphabet". Why not really think out of the box and call it "Company".
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 08:55 AM   #9
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Google is currently under investigation in several European nations for not paying their fair share of taxes. I can't help but think that splitting up the business and making it more complicated to fine the business as a whole entity, is part of the decision. Defending Google was cool in 2005.
Google already has various holding companies in tax friendly countries where they funnel revenue through (Apple does this too, they pretty much invented the practice in the 80's). In fact I think they pretty much pioneered the whole Double Irish tax loophole (many large corporations have EU headquarters in Ireland because of that) but I believe Ireland said they're shutting that down.

As a corporation, you'd be stupid not to exploit tax loopholes, I do it whenever I can for my own personal taxes. Nobody actually likes paying taxes. It's legal, it just pisses off regulators.

They ARE being investigated for antitrust though. Not surprising, EU is harsh towards US based companies. Probably because they hate how so many of them exploit their tax laws (they've launched similar investigations against Intel and Microsoft and levied fines in the billions). Just because they're being investigated, doesn't mean they're guilty of anything.

Not defending Google, just saying your complaint makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #10
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
Wow you would think Google with all their innovators would come up with a more original name than "Alphabet". Why not really think out of the box and call it "Company".
I'd of liked "Umbrella Corporation" due to the fact that it's literally what it'd be and for the Resident Evil reference.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
This would be hilarious if it was from an episode of "Silicon Valley."
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #12
ft1330
Major
Rep

Quote:
Google already has various holding companies in tax friendly countries where they funnel revenue through (Apple does this too, they pretty much invented the practice in the 80's). In fact I think they pretty much pioneered the whole Double Irish tax loophole (many large corporations have EU headquarters in Ireland because of that) but I believe Ireland said they're shutting that down.

As a corporation, you'd be stupid not to exploit tax loopholes, I do it whenever I can for my own personal taxes. Nobody actually likes paying taxes. It's legal, it just pisses off regulators.

They ARE being investigated for antitrust though. Not surprising, EU is harsh towards US based companies. Probably because they hate how so many of them exploit their tax laws (they've launched similar investigations against Intel and Microsoft and levied fines in the billions). Just because they're being investigated, doesn't mean they're guilty of anything.

Not defending Google, just saying your complaint makes no sense.
Was BNP not fined $8.9 BILLIONS by the US for dealing with Iran outside of US territory? I think the EU gov is not harsh enough with US companies. Why was Goldman Sachs not fined for their role hiding Greece's debt? I wish the EU would grow balls.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 10:58 AM   #13
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why was Goldman Sachs not fined for their role hiding Greece's debt?
Who knows, that's beyond me too.

They'll drop the hammer at a whiff of potential antitrust violations, but play a part in an economic collapse of an entire country? Meh.

Last edited by fecurtis; 08-12-2015 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #14
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31
Lol
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #15
ft1330
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'd of liked "Umbrella Corporation" due to the fact that it's literally what it'd be and for the Resident Evil reference.
Good times
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread