E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Help w/ Detail Suggestions

08-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #1
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Help w/ Detail Suggestions

I know there are better products out there and I know you have to spend the money to get that perfect detail. But for the average joe, what do you recommend and proven?

I am content with my $60 harbor freight DA polisher. I would buy $200 detail kit from chemical guys, detailed image, what have you. But I know a lot of the work comes from the pads and the compound/product you use.

In the picture the pads follow the divisions. black (finish) and blue (polish) from harbor freight, white (surbuf pad) I chose 105 because reviews had demonstrated it a one stop product. From what I see, I need a better pad. Out of three that worked best, black (1), surbuf (2), blue (3). The orange peel/hazing from all three worked. A majority of the scratches gone were from using the black pad. I ordered the new scratch and swirl remover from chemical guys last night, I hope that's the winner. If that didn't exist, what pad and compound do you suggest.

My guess would have to be menzerna (but which one) and those hexagon pads (but which one).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Given the condition of your paint as shown in your original picture, my plan of attach would have been as followed.

Compound/cut using Meguiar's D300 or M100 on a Meguiar's Microfiber Cutting Disc. This will level the majority of the defects when proper technique is used. On jet black paint, this combination will likely leave behind a considerable amount of micromarring (aka DA Haze) that will need to be refined with a finishing polish. For this, I would recommend Meguiar's M205 or Menzerna SF4000 on a white polishing pad or black finishing pad.

As an example, here is a jet black 2010 BMW X3 with a considerable amount of swirls and scratches in the paint.

After a few passes with a 5.5" Microfiber Cutting Disc with D300, the majority of defects have been removed, but a hazy finish was left (which is expected at this point in the process).

This photo shows the effect the finishing process has on the overall look of the paint. Notice the haze is completely removed after proper polishing which produces a deep, dark black. I used M205 on a white Rupes Pad on this particular vehicle.

Analyzing Your Test Spot by Zach McGovern

Paint Correction: Pairing Products and Pads by Zach McGovern

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you've got any further questions.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you've got any further questions.
im impressed
How many pads are necessary for one car? Should there be one pad for half the car? How many pads per panel?

Last edited by Route 16; 08-11-2015 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
im impressed
How many pads are necessary for one car? Should there be one pad for half the car? How many pads per panel?
The amount of pads needed will depend on the size of the car, the process you will be performing, and the products you are using.

As you work to correct the paint on a vehicle, your pad will become 'gunked up' with spent product, paint, and embedded contamination. As the pads become covered with this material, they become considerably less effective and therefore will not produce the same results that they do when they are clean.

For this reason, you need to ensure you are cleaning your pads as you work to minimize build up on the face of the pad, and then deep clean them when you are finished working.

I clean my pads with a pad cleaning brush after each section.

Pad Cleaning During and After Polishing by Ivan Rajic

For a basic sedan, I would recommend 2-4 of each type of pad... so if you were doing a 2 step correction process like I outlined above, you would want 2-4 microfiber cutting pads and 2-4 polishing/finishing pads. In general, the compounding/cutting process will require more pads than the polishing process as you will be removing more material with the more aggressive product and pads.

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

That paint looked amazing man! Thanks for taking time to get on e90post and respond to peoples questions.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
Rival
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 z28

i would get 5-6 orange cutting pads, 5-6 white polishing pads.

2 gray

2 blue

1 yellow for super cutting
1995 Z28 6spd - 377rwhp rip
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 11:15 PM   #7
drmdvl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2015 Macan Turbo

Garage List
I can attest to Meg's MF correction system. D300 on the cutting disc is my go to and is pretty easy to use for great results.
Black with heavy defects attached below....
Good luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0