E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Water down A pillar and onto floor - Sunroof drain tube?

08-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #1
The Bavarian
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e90 M-Sport, AT, PPK

Water down A pillar and onto floor - Sunroof drain tube?

I just got my car back from the body shop where I had some hail damage repaired. I know they got into the sunroof to use their tools and I suspect that the drivers side drain tube isn't connected.

I gave the car a good wash this morning and then went to wipe down the interior and found standing water in the floor mat, water in the carpet, up the side where the ODB plug is located. I looked further and found water clear up the A pillar and nearly to the Holy Shit handle. I first thought it might have been the gasket at the left corner of the windshield, but the wet headliner is too far away from that area.

I opened the sunroof and found signs of water in the front collection tray - not much, so I know it drained somewhere. I noted that the drain hole is nearly inline with the wet location inside the cabin. So I am assuming that the tube that connects to the drain has come off.

Can anyone here point me in the direction of some DIY instructions and photos to dig into this? There is a side airbag there and I'm nervous about messing with it.

I have no issue taking the car back to the shop and having them do it, I just don't want the hassle and thought if I could do it in an hour, I'd just make it happen.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #2
The Bavarian
Private
United_States
Rep

Update:

I removed the light above the visor and was able to feel the rubber hose and find that it wasn't attached to the drain tube as thought.

I removed the visor and the HS handle and was able to pry the headliner down just enough to see this:
[IMG][/IMG]

I was able to get my hand in there and connect it back up.

Then I turned my attention to the sunroof. The shop did a horrible job of reinstalling it. The 6 screws are tight, but the adjustment is really bad.
I took a piece of regular white paper from our printer and was able to slide it into gaps between the roof and the gasket. In some places I was able to slide three pieces in there all at once. I tweaked the sunroof up and down to find a place where the paper was hard to move. I have it really well adjusted with the exception of the passenger side. It's almost as if the glass is slide to the left. There doesn't seem to be any side to side adjustments and the gap is at least 3 sheets wide. I can only imagine how much water will be coming through there. So I am going to buy a new gasket and hope the new one fills the void.

Not really what I wanted to do today, but it beats working.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

I dont think that is really a gasket. Some water will always get in, that is why there is the drain. I am not sure if the problem is that it is not sitting flush. If so try the reselt and see how it aligns
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #4
The Bavarian
Private
United_States
Rep

I did the realign process. It ran all the way open and then closed... no change.

Adjusting the glass with the screws was pretty easy. But that got me only vertical and some forward and backward adjustment. No lateral.
I figure there is always some water that gets in there, but I think the gap I have is far wider than it should be.

The only way I can think to adjust it side to side like I need is to bend the 6 metal tabs (3 each side). But I find it hard to believe that's the adjustment process for this manufacture.

I plan to take some cups of water and pour onto that area and see how quickly it disappears into the gap...
Appreciate 0