E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Straight pipe or Muffler? What type of muffler?

08-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
Gorf
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi, 2011 750Li

Straight pipe or Muffler? What type of muffler?

Hey guys. I got an 06 E90 330

The muffler is starting to make some weird sounds and ive been thinking about straight piping it for a long time and it only makes sense to o it now since the muffler is acting up anyways.

heres the problem though. The town i live in, there is this one cop who is notorious for giving out "improper muffler" tickets. He is a savage and he literally gives out a couple of those tickets a day. He also harasses car meets and pulls many guys over when they leave the meets. He has even given the tickets to people with fully stock exhausts.

I'm wondering how loud would the 330 actually be? would it get me pulled over? From the videos online it doesn't seem loud but the sound does travel far.

If i put an aftermarket muffler on I can just take the ticket to court and he cant do shit. I'm thinking about getting a small muffler because I want the car to be much louder. I just don't know what type of muffler to get. I live in Canada and i don't really feel like buying some no name muffler off of ebay or somewhere if i don't know how it'll sound. I want it to be louder and deeper.

Canadian tire and partsource are some stores in my city. They sell some mufflers but idk how they are. Theres a glasspack muffler they sell by Thrush, and they have some mangaflow but I think the magnaflow will be too quiet.

What sounds best with an inline engine anyways? Glasspack? Turbo muffler? Baffle?

I dont know shit about mufflers..

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:01 AM   #2
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Just get another OEM muffler. I6 motors don't sound all that good and why deal with the hassle of the cop?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:19 AM   #3
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

If the cop is as savage as you claim, then I'll take my losses and avoid him all together by looking for another stock setup.

Especially seeing as how you're not going to avoid him, it just doesn't seem worth it to bring that sort of unwanted attention onto yourself.

I don't know how dealing with tickets are up in Canada, but here in Los Angeles.. a fix-it-ticket is such a g-d damn pain in the ass. Taking care of a window tint ticket has you jumping through so many hoops, it's just awful. And don't even think about "forgetting" about it.. unless you fancy a suspended License.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
bena1701
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 330XI 6MT

Straight pipe? No way... I wouldn't bother with stock either since its more expensive than a lot of aftermarket mufflers. I have the Rogue Ikon and its not that much louder than stock, but has a nicer sound. Forget about about a straight pipe though. That will be way too loud.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #5
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
Just get another OEM muffler. I6 motors don't sound all that good and why deal with the hassle of the cop?
What. Are. You. Smoking.

I6 engines sound terrific. The N54 sounds pretty bad, the N52 (with PE, muted with stock), S54, M52 all sound terrific. Turbos ruin the sound of an engine.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #6
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel Toe View Post
What. Are. You. Smoking.

I6 engines sound terrific. The N54 sounds pretty bad, the N52 (with PE, muted with stock), S54, M52 all sound terrific. Turbos ruin the sound of an engine.
Your smoking the BMW pipe too much. There are plenty of good sounding motors out there...I6 isn't a combo that works to please the ears. I'm sure next you will post some videos...at which point I will post some in return that sound much better. Excuses will fly, I'll hear the the everyone has their own opinion/taste comments, and nothing changes.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Your smoking the BMW pipe too much. There are plenty of good sounding motors out there...I6 isn't a combo that works to please the ears. I'm sure next you will post some videos...at which point I will post some in return that sound much better. Excuses will fly, I'll hear the the everyone has their own opinion/taste comments, and nothing changes.
Inline 6 sounds the best out of the 6 Cylinder setups & I'm certain most people with well working ears/hearing can/would/will agree. Unless you're talking V10's and V12's, nothing really sounds "amazing" anyway.

We don't have exotics or an E60 M5 (well most of us anyway), but to claim an Inline 6 sounds awful is really personal opinion and nothing more.

As for me personally, I don't like the sound of most V8's, save for the S65 & S63. I will say however that the S55, stock, sounds awful.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #8
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
First, there are plenty of I6 engines that sounds a lot better than BMW's I6. L24 (Nissan), L26 (Nissan), L28 (Nissan), XK (Jaguar) 2JZ-GE (Toyota), 2JZ-GTE (Toyota), RB26DETT (Nissan), S20 (Nissan) to name a few.

How could it not be pleasing to the ears? I6 engines produce a perfectly balanced, even tone that has some raspiness to it on certain exhausts.

It sounds like half a V12 (because it is), which is widely regarded as the best sounding engine layout of all time.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #9
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

The BMW PE sounds amazing on the N52 otherwise I would go with a Borla XS or Magnaflow muffler 3.0" inlet dual outlet for OEM like staggered tips. It will be good for a few HP (probably not noticeable) sound good and be pretty tame.

As for I6's not sounding good, the M20 from the E30 sounds so smooth and sexy. It's like an electric sewing machine, still one of my favorites.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #10
Gorf
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi, 2011 750Li

no way in hell am i going to put another oem stock muffler on. and i dont think im going to straight pipe it. and lets not argue on engine setups lol

i just wanna know what muffler you guys recommend. hopefully something that i can get from the 2 stores i listed.

like i said theres a thrush glasspack muffler i was looking at. Idk anything about thrush or how a glasspack will sound so thats why im asking. thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #11
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
no way in hell am i going to put another oem stock muffler on. and i dont think im going to straight pipe it. and lets not argue on engine setups lol

i just wanna know what muffler you guys recommend. hopefully something that i can get from the 2 stores i listed.

like i said theres a thrush glasspack muffler i was looking at. Idk anything about thrush or how a glasspack will sound so thats why im asking. thanks
I literally just gave you the 2 best suggestions.
Appreciate 0