E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > help, buying a 3 series

08-03-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
bmwsj
Rep
Drives: still looking

help, buying a 3 series

Currently I drive a 07 Acura TL as my second car(BORING!). My first car was a 96 328is coupe, i loved it but it fell apart because my aunt didn't take care of it who had it before me. I plan on buying a 3 series and trading in my acura then paying the rest off cash. Im looking at a e90 330i,black on beige, Sport, auto, 96k, for about 10 grand. The carfax doesn't have that many service records but its a clean title. I will take care of this car really well, but is it really risky buying it with that many miles with little history? Im also looking at several 328i coupe within the 60k-80k mile range $15k-17k. I want to get sports package on that also, does the sport package make a huge difference in these coupes? I will have to pay more out of pocket. Is it smarter to buy the car with less miles or buy the 330i with more? I love the 335i but i don't want to go into a money pit of repairs. Also I'm don't really know how to drive stick but i can pick it up quickly, is stick really that much more fun when driving??
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 07:02 AM   #2
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

sports package makes a world of difference
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #3
bena1701
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 330XI 6MT

That's a pretty good deal. Have someone look it over first. The only real concern would be the water pump. If it hasn't been replaced it probably will need to be soonish. Get it up on a lift and check the suspension for any issues (leaking shocks, thrust arms, ect). Check for any oil leaks, especially the OFS and valve cover gaskets.

Check in the glovebox for any service records, and see if the previous owner left any info in there and give him/ her a call. You could also try giving the VIN to a BMW dealership and asking for service records.

If the car is in good shape don't worry about the miles. 96K isn't a big deal on that car.

As for stick vs. auto, I very much prefer a manual. One frustrating afternoon and you should be good to go. See if you can learn on a rental car or something though... If you live somewhere with a lot of traffic then a manual may not be worth it.

Also you should consider that all 330i's came relatively loaded (xenons, logic 7 sound system, ect.) For a 328i to be comparable to the car you're looking at it would need to have the premium package. The 330i also has the high output version of the N52, which isn't vastly different, but is definitely noticeable.

Last edited by bena1701; 08-04-2015 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
NecroDMI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Sedan

Get a 335i. I have had a 325i, 328i, and now I have a 335i. I spent 1200.00 and now I have over 400HP.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Of the ones you listed, the 330i sounds good. Relatively low miles (there are forum members here with E9x's in the 200k range) and optioned well.

As said above, sports package does make a huge difference, in handling, ride height, plus the sport seats are amazing

Have a trusted mechanic inspect it before you buy. If he finds any errors and they aren't major, you can try talking the owner down some.

Also as said above, call BMW and give them the last 7 digits of the VIN. They can pull up all the services ever done at BMW dealers. Not completely comprehensive if the car was ever taken elsewhere but it is a great start.

The 328i can be a fun car when paired with a manual. The auto trans is a little sluggish in those.

M/Ts are fun to drive. When I bought my 335i, I looked for one for a while, and settled on an automatic because it was what I was looking for. So far, haven't regretted it. Especially since this is my daily driver.

Good luck and keep us informed!
      08-04-2015, 08:33 AM   #6
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Just adding my 2 cents worth.
The coupes are the way to go. With or without the Sports Package, they already come standard with the sport suspension so that’s a good thing. The sports pack adds a few goodies like leather sport seats, blacked out window trim, and a few other things which I can’t remember, but it’s definitely nice to have versus a coupe without it. In the E90 sedans, the sport suspension is not standard and therefore requires the sport package to have the sport suspension. Does the E90 you’re looking at have the sport suspension? If not, you may want to pass on that.

As for miles, less miles would be better, but it also depends on how well the previous owner took care of it and maintained it. I believe you can check the service history by going to a local BMW dealer and they can run the VIN in their database. I bought my 2010 335i new and it’s been 5 years, 8 months, 5 days, and 61200+ miles since I first drove it home and, contrary to the issues and problems you mostly read about on this site and other sites, I haven’t had any costly repairs other than the costs of regular preventive maintenance (oil changes post free maintenance period, new brakes/brake fluid) and the costs of replacing regular wear and tear items (new tires, alignment). The only minor repair I’ve had to do was replace the right fog lamp which I paid my trusted mechanic $30.

Regarding sticks, my 335i is the auto/steptronic and, actually, I have no complaints of missing the feeling of a stick. I’ve driven manuals for years and it’s nice to have the luxury of not having to shift especially in heavy traffic. As soon as I hit the gas, this bad boy will go. My other cars, 2005 Stang GT and 1997 Corolla gas sipper, are sticks so I still have the fun of driving manuals.
Of course, a 328 doesn’t have as much GO power as a 335i, so maybe a stick would be better to get that sports car feeling when manually shifting. As always, the best thing to do is test drive a 328 with a stick and one with an auto and see which you like better.

If you're thinking of adding any mods to a 328 (i.e. CAI, tune), forget it, you'll pay a lot of $$$$ for very little power gains versus modding a 335i. But, if performance upgrades is not what you have in mind then a 328 will suit you fine.

Good luck with whichever you choose.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster

Last edited by jt335i; 08-04-2015 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsj View Post
Currently I drive a 07 Acura TL as my second car(BORING!). My first car was a 96 328is coupe, i loved it but it fell apart because my aunt didn't take care of it who had it before me. I plan on buying a 3 series and trading in my acura then paying the rest off cash. Im looking at a e90 330i,black on beige, Sport, auto, 96k, for about 10 grand. The carfax doesn't have that many service records but its a clean title. I will take care of this car really well, but is it really risky buying it with that many miles with little history? Im also looking at several 328i coupe within the 60k-80k mile range $15k-17k. I want to get sports package on that also, does the sport package make a huge difference in these coupes? I will have to pay more out of pocket. Is it smarter to buy the car with less miles or buy the 330i with more? I love the 335i but i don't want to go into a money pit of repairs. Also I'm don't really know how to drive stick but i can pick it up quickly, is stick really that much more fun when driving??
You sound a lot like my doppleganger. I had an 04 Acura TL as my 2nd car after my E36 coupe just called it all quits on me (owned by a family member too). I lived in NJ at the time too.

I bought an E90 328I about 3 years ago to replace the Acura. I bought it with like 70k miles, no service records, but a good carfax. The car was a big improvement over the Acura, even without ZSP. The handling was far better, felt more comfortable, and felt like a quality product. I did have some issues with the car, but nothing I would consider out of the ordinary for a BMW. Spark plugs, ignition coils, vanos solenoids, battery, I have replaced all those components in the last 3 years. My Acura only needed oil changes in the 1 year and 25K miles I put on it.

My recommendations being in a similar situation:
1) Get a ZSP (Sport Package) equipped car.
2) 330i. 328i could use a bit more power to be honest.
3) 6MT. Make sure the clutch has been replaced. Being new, you don't want to wear out an old clutch and end up having to pay to replace it so soon. I am still learning manual and it's been a rough ride for me. The feel can't be beat, but newer automatics shift just as quick.

Good luck, save some money for modifications too
      08-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #8
bmwsj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post
You sound a lot like my doppleganger. I had an 04 Acura TL as my 2nd car after my E36 coupe just called it all quits on me (owned by a family member too). I lived in NJ at the time too.

I bought an E90 328I about 3 years ago to replace the Acura. I bought it with like 70k miles, no service records, but a good carfax. The car was a big improvement over the Acura, even without ZSP. The handling was far better, felt more comfortable, and felt like a quality product. I did have some issues with the car, but nothing I would consider out of the ordinary for a BMW. Spark plugs, ignition coils, vanos solenoids, battery, I have replaced all those components in the last 3 years. My Acura only needed oil changes in the 1 year and 25K miles I put on it.

My recommendations being in a similar situation:
1) Get a ZSP (Sport Package) equipped car.
2) 330i. 328i could use a bit more power to be honest.
3) 6MT. Make sure the clutch has been replaced. Being new, you don't want to wear out an old clutch and end up having to pay to replace it so soon. I am still learning manual and it's been a rough ride for me. The feel can't be beat, but newer automatics shift just as quick.

Good luck, save some money for modifications too
I feel like I was being greedy but it's good to know I'm not the only one!! Lol. After driving the 330i with ZSP it's hard to drive my Acura daily, it's just not the same!! FWD sucks!! I Think I'm leaning towards the auto trans though. I have money for repairs but how much money is enough?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #9
Lshaw
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i 6mt

Manual + Sports package in any of the cars you are looking at. You wont regret it.

+1 on the pre-purchase inspection.
15 X5 xdrive 35i (2015-)
17 Forester XT (2016-)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #10
bmwsj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bena1701 View Post
That's a pretty good deal. Have someone look it over first. The only real concern would be the water pump. If it hasn't been replaced it probably will need to be soonish. Get it up on a lift and check the suspension for any issues (leaking shocks, thrust arms, ect). Check for any oil leaks, especially the OFS and valve cover gaskets.

Check in the glovebox for any service records, and see if the previous owner left any info in there and give him/ her a call. You could also try giving the VIN to a BMW dealership and asking for service records.

If the car is in good shape don't worry about the miles. 96K isn't a big deal on that car.

As for stick vs. auto, I very much prefer a manual. One frustrating afternoon and you should be good to go. See if you can learn on a rental car or something though... If you live somewhere with a lot of traffic then a manual may not be worth it.

Also you should consider that all 330i's came relatively loaded (xenons, logic 7 sound system, ect.) For a 328i to be comparable to the car you're looking at it would need to have the premium package. The 330i also has the high output version of the N52, which isn't vastly different, but is definitely noticeable.
Thanks for the input! My friend knows a lot about cars and I will take him with me when I check it out!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #11
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Quote:
I feel like I was being greedy but it's good to know I'm not the only one!! Lol. After driving the 330i with ZSP it's hard to drive my Acura daily, it's just not the same!! FWD sucks!! I Think I'm leaning towards the auto trans though. I have money for repairs but how much money is enough?
That car left a sour taste in my mouth. It took one drive in an E90 for me to figure out a way to get rid of my Acura (took me 3 months). It is funny because the Acura isn't really a bad car, it is reliable, spacious, reasonably quick, and the V6 sounds good. But some reason, it just didn't resonate with me as a whole.

I have the auto trans in my 328I. It's nothing spectacular but I think it is because it is the GM-box and also the 328I has terrible pedal throttle mapping (i.e. it feels very laggy for the first few inches of pedal travel). I would opt for a manual any day. I would consider a ZF auto 330I or 335I (my sister has one as well, which is a great car). My ZF in my F30 is fantastic.

I recommend you give the 335I a shot as well, ONLY with a warranty. The cost of repairs on that car are too much to risk not having one.

My E90 over the last 2.5 years has probably cost around $1000-1250 in maintenance. It needs some things now - shocks and a waterpump/thermostat, but it isn't my only car so I'm taking it slow with repairs. If you know anything about BMWs, you know the cooling systems are the biggest worries and should cost about $1000 to replace.
      08-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #12
bmwsj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroDMI View Post
Get a 335i. I have had a 325i, 328i, and now I have a 335i. I spent 1200.00 and now I have over 400HP.
With my luck I will get a bad 335i, all the ones around me that I can afford are 07 too. It's a hit or miss with them. The 330 is what I'm leaning towards
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #13
bmwsj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post
That car left a sour taste in my mouth. It took one drive in an E90 for me to figure out a way to get rid of my Acura (took me 3 months). It is funny because the Acura isn't really a bad car, it is reliable, spacious, reasonably quick, and the V6 sounds good. But some reason, it just didn't resonate with me as a whole.

I have the auto trans in my 328I. It's nothing spectacular but I think it is because it is the GM-box and also the 328I has terrible pedal throttle mapping (i.e. it feels very laggy for the first few inches of pedal travel). I would opt for a manual any day. I would consider a ZF auto 330I or 335I (my sister has one as well, which is a great car). My ZF in my F30 is fantastic.

I recommend you give the 335I a shot as well, ONLY with a warranty. The cost of repairs on that car are too much to risk not having one.

My E90 over the last 2.5 years has probably cost around $1000-1250 in maintenance. It needs some things now - shocks and a waterpump/thermostat, but it isn't my only car so I'm taking it slow with repairs. If you know anything about BMWs, you know the cooling systems are the biggest worries and should cost about $1000 to replace.
I can't afford a 335 with a warranty, that's why I'm looking at these 330s, im not buying a 330 without a sports package though. There's a few broken plastic parts inside of the car,( beverage cooler, cup holder, and back seat ash tray) are those parts easy to replace? Or is this a sign of the inside slowly starting to fall apart?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #14
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
I can't afford a 335 with a warranty, that's why I'm looking at these 330s, im not buying a 330 without a sports package though. There's a few broken plastic parts inside of the car,( beverage cooler, cup holder, and back seat ash tray) are those parts easy to replace? Or is this a sign of the inside slowly starting to fall apart?
Sounds like the PO didn't take care of it if all that's broken. If he didn't take care of the inside do you really think he'd take care of the rest of the car? No.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 03:26 PM   #15
bmwsj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk335 View Post
Sounds like the PO didn't take care of it if all that's broken. If he didn't take care of the inside do you really think he'd take care of the rest of the car? No.
Damn, thats true! But the leather was close to perfect and so was the exterior paint. The sport rims didn't have a scratch either, it was only the plastic stuff inside. IDK i need to take it to somebody that knows BMWs and can check it out
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 03:41 PM   #16
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroDMI
That means 328 vs 335 war coming right up

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #17
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsj
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroDMI View Post
With my luck I will get a bad 335i, all the ones around me that I can afford are 07 too. It's a hit or miss with them. The 330 is what I'm leaning towards
Good choice. If ur not ready to have a money pit don't get a high mileage 07 n54 just don't

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #18
bmwsj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bena1701 View Post

how is your 06 330?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #19
bena1701
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 330XI 6MT

Quote:
how is your 06 330?
Its been great. The prior owner took care of the water pump and front suspension. I bought it with about 85K and I'm about 105K now. Since then the only issues I've had were a leaking oil filter housing gasket, which was hardly a leak anyway and a DISA flap that was starting to fail. I also did the rear struts, but after 100K and winter in Boston this year I don't consider that a problem.

I've flushed all the fluids, changed the plugs, and a few other preventative things, so I think I'll go good to go for a long time.

The car drives beautifully, sounds great, and I'm not even slightly bored a year on (which is a feat for me).

I put the Rogue Ikon Exhaust on a few months ago and its sounding great. Good luck, let us know what happens with the car. Feel free to send a message if you have any questions.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #20
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

N52 engine found in the 330 and 328 are great. Very reliable and very trustworthy engines. Either car with sport package will make you happy. Mileage isn't a huge issue despite what people think about BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 09:58 PM   #21
bandwagn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
2010 X6M  [0.00]
2006 330Cic  [0.00]
SprintBooster is a must with the Auto (even the ZF) - doesnt add power, but cures the lag
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 11:35 PM   #22
Capital Drives
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: all the time

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
1986 Porsche 911  [0.00]
Quote:
I think this is wise. Last thing you want is to stretch your budget to get the 335 and then regret it because you were forced to get a higher mileage/less mechanically sound car. Don't compromise condition for power. You will be much happier driving a solid 330 or 328 than you will be fixing an abused 335

I'm only a few days into BMW ownership myself, so I can't speak to specifics on the cars, but the advice is the same buying any car. Buy the best condition you can afford, and get a PPI done by an independent specialist (or a BMW dealer even). The couple hundred on a PPI may save you thousands down the road, and you can also use the results as a negotiation tactic.

Good luck!

IG: @jonathanjbrooks
Appreciate 0