F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Fuel pump
Extreme Powerhouse

08-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
Avenged328i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328i

Fuel pump

Does anyone have any knowledge on a fuel pump (328)?

Reason I ask, and I know I will probably get flamed for this, but lately I have been running my car on low fuel.
About 20 mi or less - fill up - etc.
Recently I just got a check engine light.
I assume it has to do something with the fuel pump since I have been the car with low fuel and not topping it off when it reaches 1/4 tank (like I usually do).

Not sure how to word the question since I have zero knowledge of the mechanics of BMW fuel pump, but what is the material, location, etc.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenged328i View Post
Does anyone have any knowledge on a fuel pump (328)?

Reason I ask, and I know I will probably get flamed for this, but lately I have been running my car on low fuel.
About 20 mi or less - fill up - etc.
Recently I just got a check engine light.
I assume it has to do something with the fuel pump since I have been the car with low fuel and not topping it off when it reaches 1/4 tank (like I usually do).

Not sure how to word the question since I have zero knowledge of the mechanics of BMW fuel pump, but what is the material, location, etc.

Thanks.
Get a scan of the car and see what codes pop up.

I remember one time I ran my old E36 out of gas. The fuel pump had consistent issues after that day.

But since there is still fuel in your car, it might be another code.
      08-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
If memory serves, fuel acts as the 'cooler' for the pump...they don't like to be uncovered, even for a short time if you're down to a gallon or so and uncover the pump on a curve, etc. Best practice with these things (and fuel pumps seem to be an Achilles heel w/ BMW) is to keep as close as possible to 1/4 tank in the car just for insurance.
      08-03-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave
If memory serves, fuel acts as the 'cooler' for the pump...they don't like to be uncovered, even for a short time if you're down to a gallon or so and uncover the pump on a curve, etc. Best practice with these things (and fuel pumps seem to be an Achilles heel w/ BMW) is to keep as close as possible to 1/4 tank in the car just for insurance.
Other issue is a car with a turbo on low fuel causes issues as well.

The pump is somewhere in the tank somewhere up front right?

A 1/4 tank is a cautious level for sure, but the big thing is to not regularly go below 2 gallons or the 45 mile warning.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Fuel pumps typically sit in a fuel pump module which most call a bucket / reservoir. Fuel Is drawn from the fuel tank, and sent forward towards the engine under pressure typically 3-6bar gauge; pressure varies to avoid vapor (liquid phase of a vapor curve). As fuel is drawn from the fuel tank, fuel is also drawn via an active fill feature for example a jet pump (venturi effect) which ensures the bucket / reservoir remains full at all times especially during low fuel handling maneuvers. Also, by-pass fuel from pressure regulator / pressure relief valve is returned to the bucket / reservoir. If you operate your vehicle with low fuel (E / low fuel warning on) then you run the risk of emptying the bucket / reservoir and losing supply pressure due to lack of fuel at base of bucket / reservoir. Risks = vapor, and operating fuel pump dry.

Long story short
-try to refill before E

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-F30-335...uel/ES2817620/
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
Avenged328i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
Fuel pumps typically sit in a fuel pump module which most call a bucket / reservoir. Fuel Is drawn from the fuel tank, and sent forward towards the engine under pressure typically 3-6bar gauge; pressure varies to avoid vapor (liquid phase of a vapor curve). As fuel is drawn from the fuel tank, fuel is also drawn via an active fill feature for example a jet pump (venturi effect) which ensures the bucket / reservoir remains full at all times especially during low fuel handling maneuvers. Also, by-pass fuel from pressure regulator / pressure relief valve is returned to the bucket / reservoir. If you operate your vehicle with low fuel (E / low fuel warning on) then you run the risk of emptying the bucket / reservoir and losing supply pressure due to lack of fuel at base of bucket / reservoir. Risks = vapor, and operating fuel pump dry.

Long story short
-try to refill before E

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-F30-335...uel/ES2817620/

Nice. Thanks!
Appreciate 0