E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Scary - Engine mount bolts snapped

07-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Scary - Engine mount bolts snapped

2010 E92, 67K miles. 328i, X-Drive. Driven pretty gently since I bought it with 25K miles.

Last Saturday, I'm stopping at an intersection and hear this horrible pulsing sound from the passenger side wheel area. Drive really gently into a parking lot and check and don't see anything visible, so I drive really gently home (about 12 miles). (At this point, I'm thinking it's something wrong with the suspension)

Take into a local BMW indy (Tommy's Automotive of West Chester) who hears what is now a more frequent pulsing, checks under the hood, and takes a few pictures with his iPhone. The friggin engine isn't attached to the frame!

The mechanic is a former garage foreman at Ottos BMW in West Chester, PA and suggests that I have it towed to BMW (it's a CPO car). Doesn't charge me a thing.

Tow it up to BMW of Reading (where I bought it), and they were able to get the bolts out of the block and replace them. Got it back today, and all seems great. Cost was $50 due to CPO.

This was a scary scenario. That engine wasn't secure and could have caused a lot of damage - to the axle, the cooling system, the body, etc.

I hope that someday this helps somebody with their car if they experience similar symptoms.

PS - I REALLY missed my BMW. My other car is a really nice Honda Civic Coupe EX-L in cherry red. Sweet little car with awesome technology, but it's no BMW

PPS - Thanks to Tommy's Automotive and BMW of Reading
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
mex2309
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335i MSport X-Drive AW

things like these car companies should just own up and pay out of their pocket. Whether you have CPO or not.