E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Steering wheel still shaking...

07-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
Averdi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i xDrive

Hey guys, I've had a vibration in my steering wheel around 40-50mph for a little bit now. I got my wheels and tires checked out, all straight, no bends, they're all balanced fine. So I was told to replace the control arms, just got that replaced and it's still there! It's incredibly annoying. Next step thrust arms? Any one have any idea?

EDIT: After 4 months it's fixed with a sticking caliper!!
      07-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Thrust arms & tie rods are the next place to look. Wheel bearings are another possibility, but those generally make a noise when they've gone bad. Start with the first two.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
Averdi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Thrust arms & tie rods are the next place to look. Wheel bearings are another possibility, but those generally make a noise when they've gone bad. Start with the first two.
are these the same and thrust arms? http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E93-335...Arm/ES2580429/
      07-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

Same here. I had the dealer do an alignment too since it was pulling to the right. Had balance done. The dealer said it is my tires. I don't how that's possible, brand new. I got them on in May. And it did the same thing with my old wheels and tires(winter setup).
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
are these the same and thrust arms? http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E93-335...Arm/ES2580429/
Correct. There's a lower control arm and the thrust arm, or other things people call it: Tension Strut, Upper Control Arm
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #6
Averdi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantCatchMe
Same here. I had the dealer do an alignment too since it was pulling to the right. Had balance done. The dealer said it is my tires. I don't how that's possible, brand new. I got them on in May. And it did the same thing with my old wheels and tires(winter setup).
Same here. Praying it's the thrust arms
      07-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #7
Averdi
Colonel
Rep

just ordered thrust arms..any other input?
      07-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #8
Averdi
Colonel
Rep

also if it means anything...the vibrations got worse with the new control arms, maybe its because that these control arms are more stiff and other parts of the suspension are messed up?
      07-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #9
-June-
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330xi

I believe the service of having your wheels balanced hasn't been done rite, or should given the information more specific then a "its fine"... The reason I'm aiming the balancing service rather then possible failed suspension is we'r over diagnosing (or mis-diagnose under are nose in some case).

When ever you come to have your wheels balanced, you want full info of what happening and I mean all, even if you just have new tires mounted. Some shop have upscale balance machine that's more clear look of what causing the vibration.
Many causes can vibrate when it comes to the wheels and it only takes 1. You want to make sure you look and see the information the machine reads when balancing a wheel.
The machine provide in:
- Accurate tire pressure ( making sure both axel ,side to side, front and rear are in specs)
- Measuring the rim for accuracy ( the machine knows your rim's dimensions and the differences of the front and rear if its staggered)
- The important of reading Road force. The higher the number of each wheel, the more you will sense it times-what needed weights in any speed.

And by watching the wheel turning in the machine... you could fine if the inner and outer bead of the tire are not sit onto the rim's lips all the way from mounting it, which is common. Check for out of round movement, the abnormal wear of cuppings as-well.

So what I'm saying you want more then hearing a guy said to you on wheel balance "its ALL GOOD SON!"

And yes when install in new suspensions, they are more stiffed to original ride quality or more, That will causes more sensitivity of the source causing the vibration.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #10
Averdi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamp3r
I believe the service of having your wheels balanced hasn't been done rite, or should given the information more specific then a "its fine"... The reason I'm aiming the balancing service rather then possible failed suspension is we'r over diagnosing (or mis-diagnose under are nose in some case).

When ever you come to have your wheels balanced, you want full info of what happening and I mean all, even if you just have new tires mounted. Some shop have upscale balance machine that's more clear look of what causing the vibration.
Many causes can vibrate when it comes to the wheels and it only takes 1. You want to make sure you look and see the information the machine reads when balancing a wheel.
The machine provide in:
- Accurate tire pressure ( making sure both axel ,side to side, front and rear are in specs)
- Measuring the rim for accuracy ( the machine knows your rim's dimensions and the differences of the front and rear if its staggered)
- The important of reading Road force. The higher the number of each wheel, the more you will sense it times-what needed weights in any speed.

And by watching the wheel turning in the machine... you could fine if the inner and outer bead of the tire are not sit onto the rim's lips all the way from mounting it, which is common. Check for out of round movement, the abnormal wear of cuppings as-well.

So what I'm saying you want more then hearing a guy said to you on wheel balance "its ALL GOOD SON!"

And yes when install in new suspensions, they are more stiffed to original ride quality or more, That will causes more sensitivity of the source causing the vibration.
Thanks for the comment. I actually have a buddy that works on the side and re balanced them and it still occurred. They've been balanced a few times since the vibrations. I think it's a suspension component
      07-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #11
-June-
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330xi

- cool no problem,
I'll be more then happy to discuss the suspension. which means your going to need a lot of moving the fronts wheels around and see around for any wear out bushing. pics will be nice. And I'm sorry i get too technical im all about helping in hand all the way in diagnosing.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 11:44 PM   #12
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Do u have BMW factory wheels or aftermarket?
Aftermarket wheels with diff offset makes steering wheel shimmer.
When I got my after market wheels, there was steering shaking at 40-50mph.
I was guided by a guy to get better thrust arms, eventually I upgraded to M3 lower/upper control arms complete assembly. I forgot the cost, it was around 260 or 360 something.
M3 arms changes the steering response as well, it feels v good and the shaking went away.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #13
Averdi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52
Do u have BMW factory wheels or aftermarket?
Aftermarket wheels with diff offset makes steering wheel shimmer.
When I got my after market wheels, there was steering shaking at 40-50mph.
I was guided by a guy to get better thrust arms, eventually I upgraded to M3 lower/upper control arms complete assembly. I forgot the cost, it was around 260 or 360 something.
M3 arms changes the steering response as well, it feels v good and the shaking went away.
This problem was both with my stock wheels and aftermarket wheels. Just did control arms and it still occurs. Just ordered thrust arms
      07-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #14
nopressurefuelpump
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i FBO-JB4-METH-CELL PH

Garage List
2007 335i Sport  [0.00]
Please let us know how it goes with the thrust arms. I'm dealing with the same issue. Brand new tires, balanced 3 times, with spacers, without spacers, it is still there. Alignment is good. I'm thinking thrust arms as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #15
Nicky92
Fastest 335 on Earth
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Same here as well.

Replaced the tie rod ends, upper and lower control arms, struts.

Vibration is still there
E92 335i, 6MT- YouWish Single turbo, Precision 6466, Doc Race intake manifold w/port injection, Precision Raceworks coil packs and Stage 3 lpfp, 3.46 geared Mfactory LSD, VRSF 3.5" single exhaust, Toyo R888Rs, Spec Stage 3+ clutch, DSS axles, RTD shifter, Motiv, boost box and flex fuel, WOTBOX, MOTIV tuned...and much more
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #16
Averdi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky92
Same here as well.

Vibration is still there
That's what I'm scared of. What else could it be??
      07-06-2015, 07:27 PM   #17
shibikot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky92 View Post
Same here as well.

Vibration is still there
Also replaced tie rod assemblies on both sides, tension struts and wishbones (both control arms), Roadforce balance including 1 brand new OEM rim (old one was said to be bent), new front tires, and still no luck with eliminating the steering wheel shake.
The car does not seem to vibrate "in the seat" at highway speeds, and the brake pedal does not pulsate when braking. But I still get the shake at speeds around 40-60 mph, and a very noticeable shake in the steering wheel when braking from highway speeds.
At a loss what to replace now, i'm thinking its either the rotors again, or a poorly done roadforce balance. Rotors were replaced about 40k miles ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #18
Averdi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibikot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky92 View Post
Same here as well.

Vibration is still there
Also replaced tie rod assemblies on both sides, tension struts and wishbones (both control arms), Roadforce balance including 1 brand new OEM rim (old one was said to be bent), new front tires, and still no luck with eliminating the steering wheel shake.
The car does not seem to vibrate "in the seat" at highway speeds, and the brake pedal does not pulsate when braking. But I still get the shake at speeds around 40-60 mph, and a very noticeable shake in the steering wheel when braking from highway speeds.
At a loss what to replace now, i'm thinking its either the rotors again, or a poorly done roadforce balance. Rotors were replaced about 40k miles ago.
That's what I'm really scared about! What else could it be?? Can shops tell what it'll be? They told me it was the control arms so I replaced them and it got worse. Now he says he's positive that it's the thrust arms so I'm now replacing them
      07-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #19
MadeInPhilly
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 318is, E90 335i, 03 GTI

I just installed the m3 control and thrust arm kit in the front. Still have shuttering after 60mph. I also have Style 95 wheels. I got an alignment and the tires checked for balancing but the shuttering is still there. Annoying. Next step is to try road balancing or just throwing on my 18" stock wheels to see if its the wheel/tires themselves.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #20
Averdi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInPhilly
I just installed the m3 control and thrust arm kit in the front. Still have shuttering after 60mph. I also have Style 95 wheels. I got an alignment and the tires checked for balancing but the shuttering is still there. Annoying. Next step is to try road balancing or just throwing on my 18" stock wheels to see if its the wheel/tires themselves.
Good option. Maybe you have a bend because idk what else it could possibly be
      07-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #21
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

I had the same issue on a different car. Not a BMW. Ended up being the rotors. They must of been rubbing the pads as the spun unevenly and created a pulsing vibration feel.

I was surprised when that fixed it. Car also drive smoother. Also a bad caliper can do the same in reverse to a somewhat out-of-round rotor.

But obviously you must first check:

Wheel balancing
Tire hop/wobble
Suspension bushings
Worn out suspension parts
Alignment
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #22
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
That's what I'm really scared about! What else could it be?? Can shops tell what it'll be? They told me it was the control arms so I replaced them and it got worse. Now he says he's positive that it's the thrust arms so I'm now replacing them
Fixing some suspension parts can have the effect of making the other worn out parts more noticeable. Most of the time these types of vibrations you describe come from the thrust arms or control arms, especially at a higher mileage. At the very least, you'll have refreshed control arms so that's something you won't need to worry about for another 60k miles.

Other things that can cause vibrations are tires, or if the wheels are bent. Bent wheels are a lot rarer, and you generally know when you've bent a wheel; it'll be a pothole you don't forget! Bent wheel repair is fairly cheap, though. Usually you can get a sweet full refinish deal out of it and have nice shiny new rims.

I would trust what your mechanic suggests. He can see the car, whereas I can only go with what has worked for me on past BMWs in similar situations.
Appreciate 0