E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Smelly air con

06-20-2015, 02:10 AM   #1
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

Smelly air con

My car has started to emit an unpleasant, "smelly socks/mouldy" sort of smell from the ventilation system when first turned on. After a few minutes it clears. The air con is otherwise working fine.
The microfilter (with activated charcoal) was changed by the dealer earlier in March of this year during an oil service.

Im thinking of checking the scuttle drains and changing the microfilter and see if that makes a difference.
The non-genuine are alot cheaper than OEM, are they as effective - they probably dont have the charcoal, so Im thinking not.

Any other suggestions ?
      06-20-2015, 02:26 AM   #2
jimbo666
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

It won't be the filter. It'll be bacteria on your air con evaporator and will need cleaning. You can buy sprays from motor factors or air con service centres can sort it - BMW dealers included.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

Ok thanks - thats much more logical in fact - I'll get a quote from Dealership and a local air con place.
      06-22-2015, 07:18 AM   #4
Hulla the Hulla
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

Autoglym for one, do a spray can which you set off in the car with the aircon running. Close all the windows and let the can do it's thing, about 5 mins or so. Should clean the aircon and make the car smell nice. Very easy to do and cheaper than going to a main stealer or even an aircon place. Last one I had off Amazon was less than £9.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

after a drive when the car engine is warm, park up, engine running and turn heat and fan to max and let it blow for about 3 mins...the sustained heat kills the bacteria.
The sprays works as well by all accounts but I've always just done the above. Also do this after using the ac just to get rid of the moisture.
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2015, 09:40 AM   #6
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 M2 LCI

Mine's started to do this, and if I come to the end of a drive and put the air con off and turn the fans down, the next time I come to my car (I always have it on light on the windscreen) it mists up really badly like there is a lot of moisture there somwhere along with a nasty moist smell
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 04:14 AM   #7
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Mine does the misting up thing too, though clears very quickly (within a few seconds i guess), usually happens if i've been driving the car not too long ago, and its been a warm day with the AC running. A bit of a smell accompanies it, nothing too bad just a bit of a whiff.

I tend to just leave the AC on all the time anwyay, but dont notice it when its colder, nor if the cars been parked for a day or two. Only the past few weeks when its been sunny and warm.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #8
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules59 View Post
My car has started to emit an unpleasant, "smelly socks/mouldy" sort of smell from the ventilation system when first turned on. After a few minutes it clears. The air con is otherwise working fine.
The microfilter (with activated charcoal) was changed by the dealer earlier in March of this year during an oil service.

Im thinking of checking the scuttle drains and changing the microfilter and see if that makes a difference.
The non-genuine are alot cheaper than OEM, are they as effective - they probably dont have the charcoal, so Im thinking not.

Any other suggestions ?
Air Con Bomb........... Nice Tits

She don't come with it, but there are loads on Fleabay
      06-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

The spray will never truly make it to the evap. For a proper clean it needs to be removed. Anyhow use two but use them one after the other and not together. Once you have used the cans as per instruction then air the car. Leave windows open for around 10 minutes if you can. That eBay one is decent. Lysol is good too if you can get it. There is one on Amazon too called silver bomb or something which is okay. The autoglym one is weak in my opinion.
Appreciate 0