F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suspension upgrade without dropping too much ride height?
ARMA SPEED

06-17-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
Ezzer
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-sport

Suspension upgrade without dropping too much ride height?

So guys, I have this major dilemma. Here in Bangkok, Thailand, my F30 328i M-Sport comes with everything with the exception of DHP or M Sport suspension - yes it sits on base suspension which I find to be far too soft.

Having discussed this with many BMW dealers and them in turn with BMW Thailand, looks like the only option, without affecting the 5 years warranty and service from BMW, is to install M Performance suspension.

I understand that this will be a 20mm drop in ride height - which would be fine in countries with decent roads and ramps/curbs but unfortunately Thailand has so many bad roads and no consideration to ramp angles so I feel that 20mm drop is too much.

I was wondering if I could ask for your combined wisdom here to see if it is possible to plunder any of the M Performance Suspension parts and not have the car lowered and how would that affect the handling? Springs only? Struts only? Sway-bars only?

Thanks a lot! Quite sad to have gotten a new dream car and yet it handles like a bit of a boat
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

You might want to consider KW Street Comfort coilovers.

http://www.kw-suspensions.com/street_comfort/

The minimum drop is 10mm.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
Ezzer
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
You might want to consider KW Street Comfort coilovers.

http://www.kw-suspensions.com/street_comfort/

The minimum drop is 10mm.

Unfortunately that will make me lose my 5 years free BMW servicing and warranty so that is not an option.

So any takers on changing sway bars and shocks only? Presume it is the springs that lowers the car by 20mm?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 08:13 AM   #4
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Sway bars. Coil overs will be good too, but I'd vote for sways, they'll have a much bigger effect on body roll.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
Phiwee
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

"Having discussed this with many BMW dealers and them in turn with BMW Thailand, looks like the only option, without affecting the 5 years warranty and service from BMW, is to install M Performance suspension. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzer View Post
Unfortunately that will make me lose my 5 years free BMW servicing and warranty so that is not an option.

So any takers on changing sway bars and shocks only? Presume it is the springs that lowers the car by 20mm?
Wow... just wow.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #6
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

get the M-perf suspension & m-sport sway bars.

& I highly doubt BMW would refuse to honor a engine related issue b/c you changed your suspension, but I am not too familiar with Thailand. so the above option is your best course of action
      06-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
s2k750
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

20mm is barely noticeable and the car will still look like a monster truck. Go for it since its your only option. If possible ask to test drive a car with the suspension so you'll have a preview.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 12:16 AM   #8
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2k750 View Post
20mm is barely noticeable and the car will still look like a monster truck. Go for it since its your only option. If possible ask to test drive a car with the suspension so you'll have a preview.
M-performance suspension equipped cars do not have a monster truck look.

06-28-2015, 02:29 AM   #9
325MBKK
F30 -> F80 Conversion
Thailand
Rep
Drives: F30 325d

There's no other option than proper coil overs. I am in Thailand as well and settled for the Bilstein coil overs. There's only so 'few' things that will fall under warranty and the service every 20 or 25,000km isn't very expensive. Just get coil overs
      06-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #10
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325MBKK View Post
There's no other option than proper coil overs. I am in Thailand as well and settled for the Bilstein coil overs. There's only so 'few' things that will fall under warranty and the service every 20 or 25,000km isn't very expensive. Just get coil overs
If you want the best performance option, coilovers hands down.

But the 335i is my daily driver. One thing I would be concerned about with regard to coilovers is that they would been to be rebuilt from time to time. That means there's going to be downtime from taking the coilovers out, sending them out to be serviced, and reinstalling them.

This is what makes me lean towards the M Performance Suspension kit. Yes, it probably won't handle as great as the coilover option but it'll be a substantial improvement over the stock Sport suspension. Also, when the dampers wear out, you just have to order replacement dampers and the turn around time/effort will be substantially less than coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #11
325MBKK
F30 -> F80 Conversion
Thailand
Rep
Drives: F30 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
If you want the best performance option, coilovers hands down.

But the 335i is my daily driver. One thing I would be concerned about with regard to coilovers is that they would been to be rebuilt from time to time. That means there's going to be downtime from taking the coilovers out, sending them out to be serviced, and reinstalling them.

This is what makes me lean towards the M Performance Suspension kit. Yes, it probably won't handle as great as the coilover option but it'll be a substantial improvement over the stock Sport suspension. Also, when the dampers wear out, you just have to order replacement dampers and the turn around time/effort will be substantially less than coilovers.
I am not aware of the cost of the M Sport Suspension but Bilstein coil overs will most likely outlast the lifetime of your car and an exchange is done within hours. I had mine installed between lunch and dinner and the price is very reasonable as well.
      06-29-2015, 12:33 PM   #12
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325MBKK View Post
I am not aware of the cost of the M Sport Suspension but Bilstein coil overs will most likely outlast the lifetime of your car and an exchange is done within hours. I had mine installed between lunch and dinner and the price is very reasonable as well.
Perhaps you misunderstood, but what I meant was not the initial install of the coilovers. Yes, the coilovers should last the lifetime of the car, but that's WITH proper maintenance for the coilovers. They will need to be rebuilt a few times over the lifetime of the car.

Bilstein USA Rebuild Services - http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/s...rvice/service/

This means you will need to take them off the car. Ship the coilovers to have them rebuilt. Wait for the service to be completed and the coilovers to shipped back to you. And then install them.

With something like the M Performance Suspension, you can just order the dampers and have them installed in single day. A lot less downtime in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #13
s2k750
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitigor View Post
M-performance suspension equipped cars do not have a monster truck look.

I was exaggerating a bit to push him towards a better suspension haha From what i guessed it seems like the OP thought the car will be slammed/drastically lowered.

Car looks great
Appreciate 0