Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

05-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #1
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Car got keyed - need to repair

My wife's car got keyed a few years back, a nice long line down the rear passenger door . I now want to trade her car in but I am afraid this will diminish the value. Does anyone know of an easy solution to have the scratch look "good enough" for a trade in? Just something that will pass the eye test. I tried dr colorchip a while back and it didnt do so great on this scratch. The color is a dark gray/graphite if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Damn, that sucks man. I hope people who keyed cars burn in hell.

There's no good "quick fix" solutions. Here's a good article. A local pro auto paint supply can mix the color in an aerosol can, it's a lot better than the rattle can stuff.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...paint-scratch/
      05-29-2015, 01:11 AM   #3
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

Call your local dent repair guy and he may know someone that can air brush it or hand paint the scratch with this epoxy pen stuff I have seen before. Also, many auto body shops can do the scratch fill-in stuff but you will still be able to tell if you are looking for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #4
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
My wife's car got keyed a few years back, a nice long line down the rear passenger door . I now want to trade her car in but I am afraid this will diminish the value. Does anyone know of an easy solution to have the scratch look "good enough" for a trade in? Just something that will pass the eye test. I tried dr colorchip a while back and it didnt do so great on this scratch. The color is a dark gray/graphite if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help!
how bad is it, what year and make is it, there maybe a point where they won't hurt you too much on it, some dealers would over look it because they are going to wholesale the car or just fix it and throw it on your used car lot.

got a photo of the damage?
Appreciate 0