THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB BMW Maintenance Program Experiences?

05-07-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
esoulliard
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey M235i 6MT

Question BMW Maintenance Program Experiences?

Hello everyone. I'm new to the BMW world and I was wondering about peoples' experiences with the free maintenance program. I'm not very comfortable with the idea of a dealer working on my car, but I'm thinking about taking advantage of the BMW program for the cost savings.

My dealer mentioned that the program covers just about everything from oil changes to wiper blades, and the BMW site confirms this. I was wondering if the experience was smooth or if it's a hassle with dealers trying to push upsells. It sounds like it's just a matter of taking the car in on the regular oil change maintenance intervals -- is that correct? If you've taken your car in, were you offered a loaner car?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Do it while the car is new, they charge a ton for oil changes! They do offer a loaner, but you can always schedule and wait if you have the time. They usually are pretty good about it. Alot of BMW dealers will run out of loaners and pay for your rental while they work on it too. So either way you have something to ride while its being taken care of.

I've got one oil changes, set of wiper blades on normal maintenance thus far. I also had a taillight replaced under warranty. Plus I had the extra tire+wheel protection and they have replaced four wheels and one tire. I've had the car for around 8 months.

Also tell them to put NO wash on your file if you are picky about your paint/scratches. Handle the detailing yourself or to a trusted detailer.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
esoulliard
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey M235i 6MT

Thanks that's good to know. It sounds like you've had more than your fair share of wheel damage. I guess the tire+wheel protection paid for itself. Did you get a lot of bent rims due to potholes?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #4
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Yes I drive a lot about 11,000 miles in 7 months since i owned the M235i. Sometimes potholes are inevitable, I guess i could slow down
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Never had any pressure to buy a thing while under free maintenance. And I have had many BMWs under the free maintenance program.

About the only thing not covered is tires and wheel damage. I had to buy one tire so far from a nail in the side wall. I bought a replacement at Discount Tires for a very reasonable price (same price as Tire Rack).

And the funny little pump in the trunk worked quite well to get me to the tire shop. I did not use the goop in the tire.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:51 PM   #6
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoulliard
Hello everyone. I'm new to the BMW world and I was wondering about peoples' experiences with the free maintenance program. I'm not very comfortable with the idea of a dealer working on my car, but I'm thinking about taking advantage of the BMW program for the cost savings.

My dealer mentioned that the program covers just about everything from oil changes to wiper blades, and the BMW site confirms this. I was wondering if the experience was smooth or if it's a hassle with dealers trying to push upsells. It sounds like it's just a matter of taking the car in on the regular oil change maintenance intervals -- is that correct? If you've taken your car in, were you offered a loaner car?
It's great. Just as advertised. They even replaced my clutch at no charge.
      06-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Great service at my dealership--and amen to all the above. When new, I get my oil changed at MY request and pay for it in first 1000 miles. Just old school and won't wait till 10K for first change no matter if it is free.

If I can afford the car then I can afford a paid by me oil change. If I keep the car, I know its been taken care of early. If I trade it, they like to advert the first 1000K oil change issue--and never have any trouble selling it. OR if when I have sold to private owner, it's always paid me back with more cash. Always.

All other scheduled free maintenance has been great...no problem. BUT then I am not afraid of the tech's here doing it. They know me and our cars.

Ditto on "no wash"...and they comply fine with that. I keep engine bay clean as well---my tech LIKES that and gives even closer attention to detail. They know its not just a car to us. Same is true for my wife's Bimmer...but that's us...not others. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #8
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Has anyone had the dealer replace air the engine filter or cabin pollen filters? Not sure when they deem them ready for replacement.
      01-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #9
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUE02 View Post
Has anyone had the dealer replace air the engine filter or cabin pollen filters? Not sure when they deem them ready for replacement.
I had the pollen filters changed at my last service. BMW paid for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #10
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

I had a great experience with my 2010 128i. They replaced all filters, oil, etc. Even changed pads at 17k miles. No upselling, no hassle. Assuming my 2015 228i is going to be the same experience. The included maintenance was very important to me, especially after coming out of a used Boxster without warranty or maintenance......
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #11
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I had the pollen filters changed at my last service. BMW paid for it.
Ahh, good to know!
      01-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #12
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoulliard

My experience with the maintenance warranty has been fantastic. I track my car, so I end up getting great value from the program. And with regards to upsells, no issue at all. In fact, they tried to talk me out of several upsells that I initiated which I'll describe below.

In terms of the maintenance program, my first set of replacement pads occurred at about 7000 miles, and then again around 12k, 18k and 25k. At two of the visits they also replaced rotors. I always get a loaner car at my local dealer even though I did not buy the car there. I also do interim oil changes between the factory scheduled oil changes.

The only challenge I have had was getting them do a brake fluid change at the beginning of last year's track season when the car was only one year old. I told them that I would pay for the service since the maintenance program only pays at the 2 year mark. It took me over 20 minutes on the phone to convince them that I really needed and wanted the brake fluid change. They could not understand why I would pay for it when it would be free at the 2 year mark.

BTW, I also had a relatively hard time buying an extra set of brake pads to keep with me on track days in the event that I needed a quick pad change on a Sunday at the track to enable me to get home. They insisted that since my car was covered under the maintenance warranty that I would not need to purchase pads. They ultimately relented and sold me the pads. All in all I am thrilled with the program.
      02-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #13
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

I would say that most dealers do a good job on standard maintenance.

Clearly, they will try to sell you things that aren't required. If you are willing to put up with that there's really nothing stopping you from getting every service done at a dealer besides the price. It really provides peace of mind when it comes to warranty claims, etc. if you have everything done through the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 10:08 PM   #14
mcompact
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I've owned 10 BMWs since 1983 and my local dealer has provided excellent service. They offer a lot of service specials and/or I get a 20% discount on parts and labor. Right now the current special is an Oil Service for $79.95. Not bad. On top of that, my Service Advisor has never attempted to upsell unnecessary work.
1999 Wrangler Sahara
1995 318ti Club Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 10:26 PM   #15
drakensoul
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Non-CPO Warranty / Maintenance Value

A bit off-topic:

Looking at a used 2016 M235i w/ less than 4000 miles

Best one equipped as I want is from a non-BMW dealership, so no CPO.

From my understanding it still has a 4 year / 50,000 mile warranty. Is the maintenance program for someone who literally drives 50 highway miles a day really that big of a deal?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #16
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Depending on your mileage, the maintenance program (at dealer retail) is roughly ~2500 or so. It could be more or less if you need a new clutch, etc.
Appreciate 0