EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

05-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
mattspiral8
Private
Rep
Drives: SO F82 M4

Rear bumper damaged

sad sad day... walked out of albertsons and saw my rear bumper damaged. never saw how it happened and there were no cameras so can't get any info on the other vehicle.
went to two car repair stores and was quoted $1500 and $1900. should i even bother going to the dealership and see what they got to offer??
you guys think this is a replace whole bumper kind of damage.

Appreciate 1
      05-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

people are such fucking assholes man, no respect for other people's properties
at least leave a fucking note if youre too stupid to know car control, that's what insurance is for.
Appreciate 3
      05-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
KzrSoze
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert

Thats a shitty thing to do, crash and run. Last year I had my 535xi keyed in an Ikea parking lot, no camera. I got a 2 channel dash cam after that. Has a parking mode thats movement activated. Its going in the M4 this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
funk74
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
Aholes... can't have faith in anyone these days.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattspiral8 View Post
sad sad day... walked out of albertsons and saw my rear bumper damaged. never saw how it happened and there were no cameras so can't get any info on the other vehicle.
went to two car repair stores and was quoted $1500 and $1900. should i even bother going to the dealership and see what they got to offer??

I think it's a replace the whole bumper. I would take it to the dealership and see what the price is. Could be comparable.

Often times OEM repairs come with warranties and piece of mind.

I wouldn't worry about the cost especially if you are filing a claim, quality of the work is more important. F*** your insurance company and who ever hit the car and didn't leave a note.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #6
mattspiral8
Private
Rep
Drives: SO F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
I think it's a replace the whole bumper. I would take it to the dealership and see what the price is. Could be comparable.

Often times OEM repairs come with warranties and piece of mind.

I wouldn't worry about the cost especially if you are filing a claim, quality of the work is more important. F*** your insurance company and who ever hit the car and didn't leave a note.
well this is a leased vehicle. so do you think having it repaired would still be beneficial?
not sure if i want to file a claim through my insurance, because if i decide to sell the car before lease end, it would show an accident on file and id get a big hit on the price.
so not too sure what to do at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
well this is a leased vehicle. so do you think having it repaired would still be beneficial?
not sure if i want to file a claim through my insurance, because if i decide to sell the car before lease end, it would show an accident on file and id get a big hit on the price.
so not too sure what to do at the moment.
1- Bmw isn't going to accept that at lease turn in. See the video below. I believe when you look at the ding chart thing, that doesn't fit.

2- That is up to the body shop, some may put something in CarFax. Others may not even if you file a claim w/your insurance company or pay cash. That is something to ask your body shop before repairs, its 50/50 with the insurance company. Also it come down to what they put in Carfax as a description. I would ask both your insurance company and the body shop before you come to a decision, and also ask what comments will be put in.
I had hail damage on my a 05 545I 3 times and it was never put in Carfax even with my insurance company paying for it. Granted it was never over $1500 in damage each time.

3- If its a lease, your probably better off having BMW do it. Then if anything is wrong its on them. An BMW may not even put it in Carfax either. Keep in mind they want to sell the car at the end of the lease CPO, they want a clean carfax as well. An might consider that a "scratch"

Also that looks like a bat or trailer hitch/ball.. impact, not coming to the aid of the hit and runner.. however, they may have not even known.

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 05-04-2015 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzrSoze View Post
Thats a shitty thing to do, crash and run. Last year I had my 535xi keyed in an Ikea parking lot, no camera. I got a 2 channel dash cam after that. Has a parking mode thats movement activated. Its going in the M4 this weekend.
A dashcam will certainly help if it can capture the plate of a car that hits you, but it won't do much to catch somebody who walks by and keys your car right? Catching that mofo in the act is your only hope I would think or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #9
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
saw you post this on the bimmerfest side, I'd just get it to a shop and fix it.

I'd go through insurance, or at least ask first. Ask your agent and see how it will be if you go through them first. And then decide if you want to. Not to mention it's going to be impossible to find the person who did this. (if you live in a Asian/Chinese neighborhood like me *hint hint*)

2nd would be go to your dealership and ask them, and tell them what happened and see what they would advise you. Although you should probably be careful of that because they might be dicks and do more then you want.

Or... totally just yolo it yourself and fix it :P Find a local place and just do it... But its a M4 so I'd avoid that option lol.

Edit: I think it only goes on the car's record if there is a police report. But I'm not sure on that, sooo.

Last edited by Arcades; 05-04-2015 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #10
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4GTS

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #11
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Stinks about the damage - I'm surprised it's not just minor bondo and a re-spray though. For $1500-1900, I would expect to be paying for an entire new rear bumper.

I have to comment though: The bumper paint looks really nice, but the orange peel next to the license plate is pretty bad. I would wind up asking the body shop to wet sand that section while they are in there...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #12
AYTifosi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW F82 M4  [10.00]
That sucks! I'll bet a nickle it's a replace the bumper thing. Go through your insurance and they'll get it fixed like new.

I have never leased before. Actually, for this very reason I like it. I would normally be like, "Oh gawd, it's trashed forever. It's not perfectly originally anymore!"

Now, it'll still hurt, but it somehow feels more like, "Ah well. I'll have a new one in three years anyway."