THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Sat Nav as standard

05-01-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
2-er
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 series

Sat Nav as standard

With the announcement that BMW will have Sat Nav as standard for all cars starting from September this year (and starting in July for some models) what are the chances of me trying to get this added retrospectively to my order?

I'm doubting the dealer would go for it as they have no obligation but car is due in 4 weeks time, so build hasn't started yet. I'm guessing my chances are slim to none
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Adding something else, at invoice or higher, is done all the time. If the build hasn't started, there's no reason the dealer can't add it, and why wouldn't he want to sell you something additional? Unless you're implying you want him to add it for free, which would have zero chance of success.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #3
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

The BMW navigation pathfinding systems prefers large roads over smaller one. Often resulting a longer route and slower traffic than Google maps or Tom Tom GPS.

I stopped using it in the city.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

They're also putting the prices up to pay for the sat nav, they're not adding if for free, just means you have no choice now
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
2-er
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077 View Post
They're also putting the prices up to pay for the sat nav, they're not adding if for free, just means you have no choice now
I did figure that would be the case but couldn't find any info for that. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #6
petalmasher
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

I am a little surprised by this. I kind of figured OEM nav systems were going the way of the betamax. Most everyone who can afford a new car already has a phone capable of using google maps to get turn by turn directions which from my experience are far better than the navigation systems I've used. It would make more sense to enable Bluetooth streaming rather than cluttering up the infotainment system and distracting the driver with Sat Nav garbage.

Last edited by petalmasher; 05-05-2015 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by petalmasher View Post
I am a little surprised by this. I kind of figured OEM nav systems were going the way of the betamax. Most everyone who can afford a new car already has a phone capable of using google maps get turn by turn directions which from my experience are far better than the navigation systems I've used. It would make more sense to enable Bluetooth streaming rather than cluttering up the infotainment system and distracting the driver with Sat Nav garbage.
You're dead-on assessing the alternatives. Few people want to buy in-car Nav anymore.

So, when Nav stops selling as a stand-alone, bundle it with other things people want. When that doesn't move the product, incorporate it into the base car, and make everyone buy it.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #8
petalmasher
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
So, when Nav stops selling as a stand-alone, bundle it with other things people want. When that doesn't move the product, incorporate it into the base car, and make everyone buy it.
I'm glad I got mine on order (with enhanced Bluetooth) while I still hat a choice to skip the Nav.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #9
Numinous
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
You're dead-on assessing the alternatives. Few people want to buy in-car Nav anymore.

Interesting. I'm on the other end of the spectrum.

I'd rather keep my phone in my pocket or toss it in the console rather than have some silly mount that blocks a vent or a cup holder mount that forces me to take my eyes completely off the road.

A nicely integrated system would always be preferable to me.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #10
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Awesome. So they'll upcharge everyone to throw a crappy low end sat nav onto the 6.5" idrive screen. The larger 8" screen with real time traffic and other stuff will still be extra.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #11
MartyMcFly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Soon to be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post

I'd rather keep my phone in my pocket or toss it in the console rather than have some silly mount that blocks a vent or a cup holder mount that forces me to take my eyes completely off the road.

My thoughts exactly
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #12
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post

This is where I am, too. Phone mounts are great and all, and I've had my share -- but even the best ones are not very user-friendly, mostly look like add-ons, and the vast, VAST majority of people don't want to be bothered with them unless they have to bother with them.

Integration is better, even if the end product isn't quite as functional or quick. Few people even on this board are going to want to mount an 8" tablet to use Google Maps -- and IMHO, phones are still a huge use hazard.

Where both options will meet is when some sort of standard is accepted for phone-app integration and use within the car's native system. Apple CarPlay is the start of this. The problem is that, as we all know very well, some manufacturers play with the major mobile-OS platforms much more readily and quickly than others -- and BMW is not one of those quick-adopting manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #13
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

I would have liked nav to be standard if the cost was incremental. A feature I almost never use, it's nice to have it when I need it. Of course, I could just use my cell phone, but it's so much easier having it on the dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #14
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

In my experience, phone navigation is garbage, and I've used both Apple and Google maps. I also don't want to degrade my phone's battery from the resource intensive nav processes, which heats up the phone to damaging levels. The tech pkg nav is superior.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #15
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
The BMW navigation pathfinding systems prefers large roads over smaller one. Often resulting a longer route and slower traffic than Google maps or Tom Tom GPS.

I stopped using it in the city.
Has not been my experience in Charlotte. It picks the quickest route by default. It changes if there are traffic issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #16
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi View Post
In my experience, phone navigation is garbage, and I've used both Apple and Google maps. I also don't want to degrade my phone's battery from the resource intensive nav processes, which heats up the phone to damaging levels. The tech pkg nav is superior.
Totally disagree here. Google maps is more up to date and basically works better. I have the NAV package and the only thing making it superior is convenience and real time traffic plus voice inputs from the steering wheel. Otherwise google is more accurate. Best scenario would being able to use google maps through the BMW system using voice and real time traffic.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #17
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

I want Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to be offered but it seems ze Germans have other ideas: Germany's biggest automakers want to buy Nokia's Here maps
http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/6/8561371/german-automakers-buying-nokia-here-maps-rumor
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #18
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Totally disagree here. Google maps is more up to date and basically works better. I have the NAV package and the only thing making it superior is convenience and real time traffic plus voice inputs from the steering wheel. Otherwise google is more accurate. Best scenario would being able to use google maps through the BMW system using voice and real time traffic.
It's not that Google Maps itself is bad. I use it all the time. Rather, it's that the timing / response of the positioning is horrendously off on the phone for both Apple and Google Maps. This throws me off while navigating unfamiliar places, especially dangerous in the city. The positioning on the onboard GPS is 10x more responsive and accurate, so I can confidently rely on it. And it automatically reroutes you when there's bad traffic. One time I chose to ignore it and regretted it. It may not be as accurate or up to date as Google Maps, but this is a non-issue 99% of the time.
Appreciate 0