THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Best practice for driving mode transitions

04-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #1
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Best practice for driving mode transitions

This is a very basic question because it has been a very long time since I have owned an automatic, and never one with four separate driving modes (Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport and Sport +) so please bear with me if these questions are pretty basic:

- You can change modes up and down "on the fly" but does this mean you should? Does it stress the engine to change driving modes at speed and is it better practice to switch modes when stopped, say at a traffic light?

- During a freeway drive in Sport mode just now, it struck me that Comfort mode is much better suited to freeway driving. Why set the car to an aggressive gearing/suspension profile when Comfort mode will save gas at 80 - 100 mph, provide a smoother, quieter ride and you can still "kick down" a gear or two if you need to hustle past a fast truck. Do you think this is a sound theory? And if so (see above) is there any reason to be hesitant about switching from Sport to Comfort mode at 80 mph or above?

Again, apologies for the very elementary questions. It's great that you can shift modes in motion and the technology is truly impressive but this is a revvy, over-achieving engine and even though I like to drive hard when it's safe, I want to preserve the car and not subject it to unnecessary forms of stress. Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

You can make the driving mode selections any time you desire, moving or stopped.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:33 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I always use comfort mode on the freeway. I also use it in stop and go traffic. Why waste gas?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:41 PM   #4
khaug
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 340i

Your perspective on freeway driving is spot-on! If you need to downshift when in comfort mode, you can use the paddle shifter or let the tranny do its own thing.

No reason you shouldn't shift from sport mode to comfort at any speed. Actually, the tranny is so responsive, I use comfort mode almost all the time

-Karl
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:46 PM   #5
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

If you drive manual, you would want to be in the Sport Mode at all times except stopped at red light (to activate engine shut down).

The difference in throttle response between Sport Mode and Comfort Mode makes downshift rev-matching inconsistent and difficult if keep changing back and forth.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2015, 12:26 AM   #6
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I always use comfort mode on the freeway. I also use it in stop and go traffic. Why waste gas?
Yes, this will be my MO but if you want to save gas in congested traffic, why not use Eco Pro? I have, at times, although I disable the ASS because I am old-school and was raised to believe that unnecessary engine starts are hard on a car's starter motor (I am sure that it's all electronic in the BMW, which might not even have a starter motor but old habits die hard and I find it jarring...)

This evening's freeway run, up and down a fast stretch of the 2 and 210 freeways in Los Angeles convinced me that Sport mode on freeways makes no sense. Perhaps it does in the M235 but the 228i's eager four-banger has to work hard at these speeds and any mode that gives the engine a bit of a break by not being so eager to shift that fantastic 8-speed tranny up and down is a good idea for the longevity of this car, I reckon. Even in Comfort mode, it's probably doing 5000 rpm at 90 mph.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 08:12 AM   #7
WWM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Comfort (or not having the transmission in sport) is definitely the best option for economical freeway cruising. You want the car in 8th gear spinning the engine at 2-2.2k RPM, not howling at 4K RPM in 6th. The latter will give you better passing performance sure, but this car has so much low end torque that you're not losing much by being in 8th at 2k.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 08:28 AM   #8
pete1713
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
I've taken to Comfort on the highway because I found I started to notice the slight drone of Sport mode. Also use Eco with auto start stop when in stop and go traffic. Really enjoy the driving experience options the different settings provide me.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 08:33 AM   #9
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Comfort on the freeways and Sport around town.
      04-30-2015, 09:05 AM   #10
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

The fact is that for Sport to be really enjoyable and appropriate (for you and for the car), you really need to feel high and prepared for spirited driving. Otherwise you will end up with a jerky, unpleasant experience that will also empty your tank (and wallet).

The power and the torque in the M235i are so high that Comfort mode is appropriate for 90% of your - especially long-distance - trips... It's very similar to my experience with the Golf R: my wife uses it 100% in Comfort mode; I tend to spend most time in Normal, and use Sport/Race only occasionally when I really know I want it, and I'm ready.

Both those cars are a bit like wild animals (in the best meaning of the word)....
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #11
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Comfort mode is generally fine, but if you have a 235i or the track package with the adaptive dampers, at high speed on the freeway the softer suspension is sometimes unsettling and a bit floaty at high speed.

My personal preference is to set Sport to "Chassis only" which keeps the drive train in comfort, but stiffens up the suspension in steering. That gets you the stiffer suspension to keep the car from rolling around during high speed lane changes
      04-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #12
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Oh, you're right - I forgot to mention that as far as the chassis/steering, I almost always have it in Sport (except for those back roads with poor surface). To achieve this, I have permanently set the Sport mode to only affect the chassis; when I feel like spirited driving, I either flip the stick to the left or go to Sport+ mode... Recommended!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 09:29 AM   #13
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

I bought this fantastic car to be driven. Sport+ all day every day.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 09:36 AM   #14
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
I bought this fantastic car to be driven. Sport+ all day every day.
Good for you. I'm 60 y.o., and do some 1000 km trip once - twice a week. "Sport+ all day every day" would kill me.

But when I really do feel like it - then wow
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #15
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I refer to the mode switch as my "mood" switch. I like to use the Sport mood most of the time. I just love the sound and driving feel. On the highway, I eventually select the comfort mood, but ocassionally go back to Sport if I have to pass cars on 2-lane road.

This is the joy of the car - dial up what suits your mood.

And I'm 67, retired and lovin' life!

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #16
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I refer to the mode switch as my "mood" switch.
This is the joy of the car - dial up what suits your mood.
+1 - very well put; in fact the "driver experience switch" should be called "the mood switch".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
And I'm 67, retired and lovin' life!
So we're both old farts - experienced enough to appreciate the extraordinary virtues of our cars. I'm not retired yet (and would like to keep it like that for as long as possible) - hence the need for using my fast cars also as work aids (or tools), in addition to being a source of joy and a reason of adrenaline rush which helps me feel young

I must tell you that when I was 15 years younger and the most of BMW I could afford was the E46 330i, I used to dream of getting a 5-series one day. Which I did just over 2 years ago - but it proved to be too large, too heavy, and generally not "BMW-ish" enough for me. So here I am - having used the F10 for just 2 years, I'm now back in a model that resembles my old good E46 so much... And very happy!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #17
ALMOST///M
Rep
Drives: M235i (first car) 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire
If you drive manual, you would want to be in the Sport Mode at all times except stopped at red light (to activate engine shut down).

The difference in throttle response between Sport Mode and Comfort Mode makes downshift rev-matching inconsistent and difficult if keep changing back and forth.
This is true! Rev match down shifting is nearly impossible if you constantly shift between modes. I don't even attempt it in comfort mode. I am also one for sound and enjoy the exhaust valve being open at all times instead of just over 2k RPM.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 01:57 PM   #18
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST///M View Post
This is true! Rev match down shifting is nearly impossible if you constantly shift between modes. I don't even attempt it in comfort mode. I am also one for sound and enjoy the exhaust valve being open at all times instead of just over 2k RPM.
I agree so much! My heel toe downshifts on smooth aren't as they could be since I switch so often between the modes. Normal rev match I can do smoothly in any mode besides eco lol
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 02:04 PM   #19
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST///M View Post
Could you elaborate on this? I'd be interested in learning the right technique for manual downshifting with optimal rev-matching in the car. I am not sure that I understand exactly what you mean by "constantly shifting between modes" and how this affects downshifting; I would never attempt to shift gears and to change mode at the same time but perhaps I am misunderstanding something. My assumption is that I will learn to do it (up and down, but especially down) in Sport mode with effective rev-matching, and that I will only use the paddles in comfort mode to downshift quickly for an unanticipated spurt of acceleration like a very quick lane-change. I am very, very used to having a clutch; paddles and electronic auto transmission much less so.

Just saw the above post: How can you heel and toe with no clutch? And do you all blip the throttle on manual downshifts? Again, how can this work without first disengaging the engine via a clutch?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #20
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Could you elaborate on this? I'd be interested in learning the right technique for manual downshifting with optimal rev-matching in the car. I am not sure that I understand exactly what you mean by "constantly shifting between modes" and how this affects downshifting; I would never attempt to shift gears and to change mode at the same time but perhaps I am misunderstanding something. My assumption is that I will learn to do it (up and down, but especially down) in Sport mode with effective rev-matching, and that I will only use the paddles in comfort mode to downshift quickly for an unanticipated spurt of acceleration like a very quick lane-change. I am very, very used to having a clutch; paddles and electronic auto transmission much less so.

Just saw the above post: How can you heel and toe with no clutch? And do you all blip the throttle on manual downshifts? Again, how can this work without first disengaging the engine via a clutch?
They are talking about driving with a manual transmission. The sport modes still exist on MT cars and because the throttle mapping is different a throttle blip in comfort is not the same as a throttle blip in Sport. As a result you may end up over revving or under revving the engine depending on your muscle memory.

You do not need to rev match or heel toe or throttle blip an automatic transmission. Trying to do so will not produce good results.
      04-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #21
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
They are talking about driving with a manual transmission. The sport modes still exist on MT cars and because the throttle mapping is different a throttle blip in comfort is not the same as a throttle blip in Sport. As a result you may end up over revving or under revving the engine depending on your muscle memory.

You do not need to rev match or heel toe or throttle blip an automatic transmission. Trying to do so will not produce good results.
Many thanks for the clarification! I miss my clutch, it was a precision instrument, but I am loving the car nevertheless.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 04:13 PM   #22
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 FBO, E70 X5D, W204 C63 FBO

I drive my 2 series in Sport + mode w/ paddles all the time whether I'm on the streets or fwy. I've noticed that whether I drive in Eco mode or sport plus I waste equal amounts of gas so I'd rather enjoy my car with all the mods.
Appreciate 0