THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA m235i on the way...questions!

04-27-2015, 11:41 PM   #1
jcruz3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i AW

m235i on the way...questions!

AW m235i
PSS tires
Cold Pack
Auto

I wanted to connect with some tri-state owners regarding tire/wheel protection. I have seen posts about the topic, but I wanted to hear from people driving the same roads as me.

Chances are that I will be getting a winter tire/wheel set anyway ...so I'm not sure if I want to pay the extra coin for coverage considering that I won't have stock wheels on during bad seasons...

so...those who have it, or opted not to, how did you do this winter? Would you recommend? and also, how much did you pay for that coverage?

thanks!! Looking forward to joining the family!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #2
jcruz3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

anyone. .?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
dcfella
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I signed up for it 2 weeks ago when I got my aw m235i xDrive. My wheels came with Pirilli p7s. After reading some of the forums I decided to cancel the coverage within my one month window to get a full refund. My commute to work is fairly short and uneventful, and I don't think I could justify the cost on second thought. We do have some bad potholes in my area, but I'm pretty cautious when driving on bad roads.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 12:08 AM   #4
jcruz3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

good to know. thanks for the feedback! I think I'm going to decline the coverage...I just can't seem to justify it right now. especially knowing that I'll be purchasing a dedicated winter wheel set up..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 06:56 AM   #5
M2TROLL
WRX Betrayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235ix Estoril Blue Coral Red

I declined it for $1600 i figured even if i damage my wheels or tires several times only then would it pay out. Just last month i hit a pothole and had to replace just my front left tire (thankfully, just the tire) ended up paying 300 total for the replacement all season run flat. Still dont regret not taking it, especially given that this was just a realllly bad winter and the roads im not expecting to be just as bad the next 3 winters. Since you have pss i would definitely suggest a winter wheel setup, in which case of course you should pass on protection plan.

Edit : im in bergen county,nj
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 07:16 AM   #6
jcruz3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBran
I declined it for $1600 i figured even if i damage my wheels or tires several times only then would it pay out. Just last month i hit a pothole and had to replace just my front left tire (thankfully, just the tire) ended up paying 300 total for the replacement all season run flat. Still dont regret not taking it, especially given that this was just a realllly bad winter and the roads im not expecting to be just as bad the next 3 winters. Since you have pss i would definitely suggest a winter wheel setup, in which case of course you should pass on protection plan.

Edit : im in bergen county,nj
thanks for the input! doesn't seem like it would make sense for me. I'm in rockland and made out pretty well even though the roads were terrible.

1600 is cheaper then what I was quoted. ...1950 over here. what dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #7
M2TROLL
WRX Betrayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235ix Estoril Blue Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruz3 View Post
thanks for the input! doesn't seem like it would make sense for me. I'm in rockland and made out pretty well even though the roads were terrible.

Park ave BMW in paramus. Wohhh 1950 is definitely no shot! Est $280 for a new tire and i was quoted $325 shipped from brian at sun motors if i needed a new rim.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:

Hey,
235i owner from Rockland too, I've had mine just about a year (I lived in Miami, this winter so dont ask). Here is my take on the issue. When I had the runflats on my 09 328, the policy paid for itself and it was convenient because I was never stranded becuz of the RFT. That policy was through BMW, which I don't think they do anymore (only 3rd party). The 235 being on PSS, IMO, makes the policy much less valuable. Not only is the rubber less expensive than the RFTs, but if you get a flat your probably screwed anyway and might as well just get to the nearest shop, not the nearest dealership. So learn from my mistake and don't get it on this car, unless you plan on switching to runflats or using the stocks as your winter set.
Will be back in the Rockland area this summer

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #9
jcruz3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmm235i
Quote:

Hey,
235i owner from Rockland too, I've had mine just about a year (I lived in Miami, this winter so dont ask). Here is my take on the issue. When I had the runflats on my 09 328, the policy paid for itself and it was convenient because I was never stranded becuz of the RFT. That policy was through BMW, which I don't think they do anymore (only 3rd party). The 235 being on PSS, IMO, makes the policy much less valuable. Not only is the rubber less expensive than the RFTs, but if you get a flat your probably screwed anyway and might as well just get to the nearest shop, not the nearest dealership. So learn from my mistake and don't get it on this car, unless you plan on switching to runflats or using the stocks as your winter set.
Will be back in the Rockland area this summer
that's is awesome feedback! I think I am sold on NOT getting the package...it just does not make sense to me logically when I am going to have a dedicated winter set..and I am getting PSS
Appreciate 0