THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Minimum/basic cleaning/care?

04-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Minimum/basic cleaning/care?

So, just picked up a new 2'er on lease. Except I already put a smidge of minor swirls or whatever you call it rubbing out a spot of dirt on the hood. So I figured, worth gearing up for at least a decent attempt at maintaining this thing. I don't have a huge amount of free time...or a hose (apartment...sigh...)

Any thoughts on the following plan, based on a perusal of the forums?

Minor dirt, bird poop, bug removal:

1) water spritzer/microfiber in trunk (Paper towels a no-no?)
2) "detailer" in water in spritzer bottle/microfiber?

(note: looks like my tap water is pretty hard :/ hope that isn't bad, i.e. perma-bad...)

Washes, either biweekly or monthly:
1) hand wash somewhere borrowing someone's hose, either P21S or Meguiars or Chemical Guys, etc etc etc
2) sealer/wax?
3) or pay a detailer just to do a wash?

1-2x/yr: detail
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Take the time very soon to wash, and clay the car [go to Autogeek.com] for all the videos and tips. Then get a decent wax on paint surface, even if you have to pay someone to do it correctly.

Then you can safely remove the birdcrap when needed, and with some cheaper microfiber clothes from even Walmart. Not the paper towels. Keep it all in the trunk so you can take care of it when you come out from work, instead of waiting till next Saturday. Oh, and a couple of plastic Target bags to put dirty clothes in for later. It's your BMW diaper bag.

Yes, on the spritzer to keep it clean but often, and it will place a sacrifice barrier on top the new wax job. Using a spray-on wax when its wet, and dried off, can add more protection for the wax job, which then takes the hit for bird's or wiping the wet at end of a rainy day.

Hard water? no real damage, just hard to get them off once dried...another reason to keep the actual wax well protected. It won't last long BTW with continual brushless washings. So w/o a hose and in an apartment, you do what you can to get good wax built up and keep it there with the no water washings.

Detailing? Always good to get it done, and if time is a premium, then by all means find a place that will do it correctly...has a fine reputation and get the wax laid down right.

But enjoy the car...that's the main thing. Hope this gets you started in some decent direction...but check out the videos on AutoGeek. Once you start, you can go thru a lot of pizza late into the night with THOSE vids
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:05 AM   #3
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Hm, by "no-water washing" you mean the optimum no-rinse washes? They are generally considered safe to use?

Anways, appreciate the info...this is super useful!

Last edited by caycep; 04-28-2015 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Yes, you are correct. I personally use the Griot's "Spray on Wash" with plenty of better microfiber cloths...but the one you listed is well respected. Now one caveat: I don't use it if car has a deep layer of the "roady-dirties" [Zkeepers Dictionary] all dried on after a trip when it rained, you picked up a lot of the road dirt and then it dried on heavy. But for "minor-dirtiness" [ZKD again] the spray washes work great. Far better than the washateria's down the street.

Spray it liberally, let soak and wipe one direction, changing a folded cloth in quarters [gives you 8 clean sides, outside and inside]....changing cloth surface perhaps each swipe or two. Don't smear the dirt and debris any further. Yes, it does require a lot of good microfiber cloths, but then it's cheaper than digging a personal water line on your apartment car park. THAT might have legal issues that will cost you a lot more than Griot's, or several packages of MF's.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Have a look at our complete Detailing Guide for a step-by-step walk through of the entire detailing proces... from washing & drying, to wheel cleaning, to clay bar, paint correction/machine polishing, paint protection, and more.

If you have any questions about a specific product or process, I am happy to help you with anything you need.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I have had exceptional results with BlackFire Waterless Wash Concentrate. It's very easy to use and when you are done it creates a slick deep shine that's hard to replicate in the same amount of time. I've had to use it here in Germany as it's illegal to wash you car in your driveway for environmental reasons.
Appreciate 0