Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California

04-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

LA Life Driving Transition -

Hi Guys,

This thread will be my life saver, my car bible, and guidance making me ready for the transition to LA life.

So as I have posted before I'll be taking delivery of my brand new MG 2015 M3 from ST BMW, I am actually from Indonesia moving to LA in late July.
It has been a lifetime wait for finally driving and living in LA, city of dreams I believe?

However, long story short, obviously being an ultimate bimmerpost lover!, (I tried moving to other forums, but I've decided whatever car I am driving I will be here)
I might chime in to ask some little help from you guys here.

Rules are straighter, way well applied than back home, but I believe you guys car guys have your own way of doing it here. Radar for example, I am so new to this literally I could ask anything (sorry).

So to make it simple these are list of things I would love to know (sorry to annoy you guys, but if you guys have the time and willing to help me, much thanks appreciated brothers).

-Car Radar (how does it works?, buy which one?)
-Best driving roads
-don't go's! don't do's!
-California car license plate (the dealership deal it for us?)
-car license plate?
-parking, all around other driving tips for the US.

sounds funny to others, but like most of the guys here I take cars and driving seriously, because we're all just petrol heads aren't we.

Thank you guys,
Jay.
      04-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Get a prius.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Welcome.

Do use radar on long road trips
Don't use radar around town
Do turn off TC on the track
Don't turn off TC on Californian streets
Do stop and pull over if you see flashing blue lights
Don't get out of your car for the police just roll down your window
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
Get a prius.
sorry not interested in getting a prius.
      04-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #5
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
Welcome.

Do use radar on long road trips
Don't use radar around town
Do turn off TC on the track
Don't turn off TC on Californian streets
Do stop and pull over if you see flashing blue lights
Don't get out of your car for the police just roll down your window
YA!, a friend of mine, same foreign.. went out of the car when the police stopped himm rotfl.. got handcuffed and straight to office!

why not radar around town? how about like highway?

Thanks!
      04-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #6
KzrSoze
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
Hi Guys,

This thread will be my life saver, my car bible, and guidance making me ready for the transition to LA life.

So as I have posted before I'll be taking delivery of my brand new MG 2015 M3 from ST BMW, I am actually from Indonesia moving to LA in late July.
It has been a lifetime wait for finally driving and living in LA, city of dreams I believe?

However, long story short, obviously being an ultimate bimmerpost lover!, (I tried moving to other forums, but I've decided whatever car I am driving I will be here)
I might chime in to ask some little help from you guys here.

Rules are straighter, way well applied than back home, but I believe you guys car guys have your own way of doing it here. Radar for example, I am so new to this literally I could ask anything (sorry).

So to make it simple these are list of things I would love to know (sorry to annoy you guys, but if you guys have the time and willing to help me, much thanks appreciated brothers).

-Best driving roads
-don't go's! don't do's!
-car license plate?

sounds funny to others, but like most of the guys here I take cars and driving seriously, because we're all just petrol heads aren't we.

Thank you guys,
Jay.

If you take delivery out of state then its a trip to the lovely Dept. of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 30 days of establishing your residence. If your picking it up there then obviously the dealer will handle all the docs. Depending on where exactly in LA you drive, it may be Radar or LIDAR it varies by jurisdiction but I believe LIDAR used by the majority. Most states allow you to use a LIDAR jammer, Cali does not. Tickets in LA city/county are expensive. Parking by and large sucks everywhere in LA as do most of the roads, its a natural consequence of 11 million people. That being said, Pacific Coast Highway can be nice as well as Mullholland Dr. as long as its not hosed up with traffic. One of the main reasons I moved. On the plus side the weather is marvelous most of the year.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Prepare for LA traffic...
      04-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
kpblasko
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 YMB/SS, 6MT

If you're going to be commuting, find a place to live that will allow you to avoid the really awful commutes. Don't be another one of the sheep wasting 2-3 hours of their lives every day on the freeway!

Currently: 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, 2014 i3 Rex
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #9
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
YA!, a friend of mine, same foreign.. went out of the car when the police stopped himm rotfl.. got handcuffed and straight to office!

why not radar around town? how about like highway?

Thanks!
When stopped in LA, never put both hands on the headliner

Radar around town is useless...too many hits from K band and you're not going to hit speeds that would warrant radar.

Do drive PCH from Santa Monica to Point Dume.
Do drive PCH from Seal Beach to Dana Point.
Do drive the Malibu Canyons.
Do relax, be safe, and enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #10
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

IMO, Radar should be a Valentine 1
Best driving roads...Google is your friend. TONS of good roads from San Luis Obispo to San Diego County. Take your pic.

Car license plates...taken care of at the dealership. You also have the option of personalized plates. Go here: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/ipp2/initPers.do

Parking in LA...good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #11
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM4ZING View Post
Have you been to Indonesia?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #12
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Have you been to Indonesia?
Not yet but from the way you asked, do i want to?
      04-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Best driving roads are all the racetracks in the area! Definitely get a secure parking spot and try not to valet the car.

Hope LA is everything you expected.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #14
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
x infinity

US traffic doesn't get any worse than LA traffic. At least you'll be semi-local to some very good tracks.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #15
Jorgem2009
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 aw bmw M4 6MT

i just moved here last year, and yes be prepared for traffic! you will never get used to how bad the traffic is, and you have to take advantage of the tracks, check out speeddistrict, so many people wish they had a track to really let the M4/3 stretch its legs.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #16
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Where in LA are you working and where in LA are you living?
      04-22-2015, 09:26 PM   #17
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzrSoze View Post
If you take delivery out of state then its a trip to the lovely Dept. of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 30 days of establishing your residence. If your picking it up there then obviously the dealer will handle all the docs. Depending on where exactly in LA you drive, it may be Radar or LIDAR it varies by jurisdiction but I believe LIDAR used by the majority. Most states allow you to use a LIDAR jammer, Cali does not. Tickets in LA city/county are expensive. Parking by and large sucks everywhere in LA as do most of the roads, its a natural consequence of 11 million people. That being said, Pacific Coast Highway can be nice as well as Mullholland Dr. as long as its not hosed up with traffic. One of the main reasons I moved. On the plus side the weather is marvelous most of the year.
Yes I know about the speeding ticket, damn pricey. we don't have speeding tiket back home,, push as hard as we wish! yes should really realy on waze?! rotfl!

Quote:
haha, been to indonesia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpblasko View Post
If you're going to be commuting, find a place to live that will allow you to avoid the really awful commutes. Don't be another one of the sheep wasting 2-3 hours of their lives every day on the freeway!
yes, should really avoid the rush hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
When stopped in LA, never put both hands on the headliner

Radar around town is useless...too many hits from K band and you're not going to hit speeds that would warrant radar.

Do drive PCH from Santa Monica to Point Dume.
Do drive PCH from Seal Beach to Dana Point.
Do drive the Malibu Canyons.
Do relax, be safe, and enjoy the car.
Thanks man, will surely try all of that when breaking in my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
IMO, Radar should be a Valentine 1
Best driving roads...Google is your friend. TONS of good roads from San Luis Obispo to San Diego County. Take your pic.

Car license plates...taken care of at the dealership. You also have the option of personalized plates. Go here: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/ipp2/initPers.do

Parking in LA...good luck!
Thank you brother..
I have one actually given by a friend of mine, not sure if it's too old or what? will still work ,, it maybe something from last 7 years ago?

Quote:
Yes, you would want to

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Best driving roads are all the racetracks in the area! Definitely get a secure parking spot and try not to valet the car.

Hope LA is everything you expected.
Yes, that is one of the things I've been looking forward to!
I was wondering is there any valet ways of saying? perhaps or directly give bills? would that be rude?
i never valet my car back home

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
x infinity

US traffic doesn't get any worse than LA traffic. At least you'll be semi-local to some very good tracks.
Nice, the only thing I know is willow springs, laguna seca (a little bit more long drive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgem2009 View Post
i just moved here last year, and yes be prepared for traffic! you will never get used to how bad the traffic is, and you have to take advantage of the tracks, check out speeddistrict, so many people wish they had a track to really let the M4/3 stretch its legs.
Yes, heard of them brother, will surely give a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Where in LA are you working and where in LA are you living?
I am attending local college, still not sure, gonna rent to try outs different places, real zero knowledge coming here.!

Last edited by Jay-K; 04-22-2015 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #18
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
if you don't mind,
we have millions of motorcycle ready to give a scratch or two either from the steer of the motorcycle, from their boots.. whatever
Attached Images

04-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #19
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Guys,

-Best driving roads
-don't go's! don't do's!
-car license plate?

Thank you guys,
Jay.
- In the 13+ Years I been driving around in San Gabriel Valley I never have used car radar before. I gotten 2 tickets so far (knock on wood)

- Best driving roads... that would depend on where you will be living, however one place you gotta go drive at least once is Angeles Crest next to the 210 Freeway.

- Your license plate will be mailed to you, and yes the dealership handles it. You have given your address (your new one since you are moving) and it will be mailed to you several weeks after you pick up your car.

- It's the law in CA to have the front license plate. However, a LOT of people don't give a crap. Most police cars don't care if your car is new. (or an exotic) so being a M3 or M4, you should be fine without one.

- Parking... again sort of depend on where you are living. I'd avoid parking next to very beat up cars but that's just me.
      04-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #20
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
- In the 13+ Years I been driving around in San Gabriel Valley I never have used car radar before. I gotten 2 tickets so far (knock on wood)

- Best driving roads... that would depend on where you will be living, however one place you gotta go drive at least once is Angeles Crest next to the 210 Freeway.

- Your license plate will be mailed to you, and yes the dealership handles it. You have given your address (your new one since you are moving) and it will be mailed to you several weeks after you pick up your car.

- It's the law in CA to have the front license plate. However, a LOT of people don't give a crap. Most police cars don't care if your car is new. (or an exotic) so being a M3 or M4, you should be fine without one.

- Parking... again sort of depend on where you are living. I'd avoid parking next to very beat up cars but that's just me.
Thanks bro,

about after picking up the car,
so before the plate was mailed I could still drive with no plates?
      04-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #21
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks bro,

about after picking up the car,
so before the plate was mailed I could still drive with no plates?
Yes, you will be given a temp one when you get your car. it's posted in the front of your car (usually front windshield. You'll know, it's not hard to miss.)

Again the front license plate is required to be there by law, however a LOT of people don't care. Just ask anyone here on the forums they'll tell you most of them will have it off (especially if it is a M3/M4.) I only recently got a fix it ticket on my Jetta for not having one, and my Jetta is 11 years old. (with a full body kit done.)

P.S. Oh also, with the back license plate you need to put on 2 stickers (the year the car was bought as well as the Month the car was registered.) Both should be mailed to you by the DMV.

Last edited by Arcades; 04-22-2015 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 10:20 PM   #22
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Yes, you will be given a temp one when you get your car. it's posted in the front of your car (usually front windshield. You'll know, it's not hard to miss.)

Again the front license plate is required to be there by law, however a LOT of people don't care. Just ask anyone here on the forums they'll tell you most of them will have it off (especially if it is a M3/M4.) I only recently got a fix it ticket on my Jetta for not having one, and my Jetta is 11 years old. (with a full body kit done.)

P.S. Oh also, with the back license plate you need to put on 2 stickers (the year the car was bought as well as the Month the car was registered.) Both should be mailed to you by the DMV.
How about putting the plates on the dashboard? will that be fine?

Thanks