ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-21-2015, 01:28 AM   #1
georgia_dawg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2014 HYUNDAI VELOST ...  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Please help!

As you can see from picture, after i ran my car through automated "touchless" carwash, i see this chip right above left grille... I am not sure if it is from wash or it happened while i was driving. Anyways, what can I do to make this go away? Any comment is appreciated.
Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 02:01 AM   #2
TwinTurbs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia_dawg View Post
As you can see from picture, after i ran my car through automated "touchless" carwash, i see this chip right above left grille... I am not sure if it is from wash or it happened while i was driving. Anyways, what can I do to make this go away? Any comment is appreciated.
Thanks!
I don't think its possible for a car wash to cause a chip like that. It most likely occurred while driving. I only have 700 miles on the car and I already have a chip like that above my front headlight from rocks/road debris.

Your options are fairly limited. If the chip is simply in the clear coat, you may be able to buff the area with a cutting pad and an abrasive polish. This will smooth out the damaged clear coat and make the chip less noticeable.

If the chip is deeper or through the clear or the color coat, you're pretty much out of luck. You're going to have to fill the chip with paint/clear coat. Do a search for "Chip Repair" places in your area. My dealer had a guy who would come on-site to repair chips. He would fill the chip with touch-up paint and then wetsand the area to get the touch up paint level with the original paint. Then he would polish the area with a buffer and you could hardly notice anything was done.

If you feel up to it, you may be able to take on wetsanding yourself, but if done wrong you can turn that very minor chip into an expensive bumper respray
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 02:32 AM   #3
georgia_dawg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbs
Quote:
Thanks!
I don't think its possible for a car wash to cause a chip like that. It most likely occurred while driving. I only have 700 miles on the car and I already have a chip like that above my front headlight from rocks/road debris.

Your options are fairly limited. If the chip is simply in the clear coat, you may be able to buff the area with a cutting pad and an abrasive polish. This will smooth out the damaged clear coat and make the chip less noticeable.

If the chip is deeper or through the clear or the color coat, you're pretty much out of luck. You're going to have to fill the chip with paint/clear coat. Do a search for "Chip Repair" places in your area. My dealer had a guy who would come on-site to repair chips. He would fill the chip with touch-up paint and then wetsand the area to get the touch up paint level with the original paint. Then he would polish the area with a buffer and you could hardly notice anything was done.

If you feel up to it, you may be able to take on wetsanding yourself, but if done wrong you can turn that very minor chip into an expensive bumper respray
Mine also only has about 700 miles.. And I was only a few days away from getting clear bra!!!! Only reason I waited was because I wanted to get black surrounding grille and reflector and etc, etc.. Which I have done today except for front reflectors. Grille and side marker was a breeze but those damn reflectors are on there pretty good... Might just take it to the shop get it done..
Also might as well just call off whole xpel thing, now that I got a chip already..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 04:21 AM   #4
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

this chip came from the road and not the wash. I know the feeling that sucks. I just saw a guy that got his car on a Friday and went to drop off at a place to do the bra and the windshield protectant and he got a chip in the windshield on the way to drop off his car (not an M4).

I already ordered my color match stuff and it is sitting in my garage (grill, markers, etc.) now if they'd just unload my car off the boat already! Already have a slightly flexible apt for a clear bra.

I may just have the dealer NOT take off the plastic. the dealer is .4 miles away from the clear bra place.

It seems you are upset about the chip and well, I would be too. but calling off xpel? really? So you are ok with another 2 dozen chips in the front over the next year or so? It's a dark color, chips will show.

Ask the xpel installer to get the chip fixed for you. If it is clear coat, the xpel dealer can probably fix it. If below clear, they probably know someone who can fill and wet sand. Then they put the xpel on. with your dark car, with a reasonably good repair person, it will be very very difficult to see the repair.

use a heat gun on the front reflectors. rears are easy. some fishing string or do the tape off and plastic pry.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 06:09 AM   #5
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

The first one is always the toughest. Grab a bottle of touch up paint and clear from the dealer and being it with you to hand to your xpel guy. Go back a day out two later and enjoy your car again
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
georgia_dawg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
The first one is always the toughest. Grab a bottle of touch up paint and clear from the dealer and being it with you to hand to your xpel guy. Go back a day out two later and enjoy your car again
Funny thing is... I also have a black hyundai as a beater. Have had it for almost a year. And you know what? Not a single ding or chip on hood. And i daily drive this maybe like 400 miles a week. It had to happen to my m4 after 2 weeks...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #7
Palomequet
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
IMO

Quote:
Thanks!
Dr. ColorChip is my advise, it's much better than the OE BMW color code system.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #8
AYTifosi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW F82 M4  [10.00]
Dr colorchip works fantastic. If you apply it a few times you can build it up a little.

Just be sure and wait at least a week before installing a clear bra over it as it has to cure.

I used dr colorchip on my wife's red Benz, then had Xpel installed two days later. Now there are tiny bubbles where dr colorchip is. They recommend two weeks before applying wax.

Last edited by AYTifosi; 04-26-2015 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0