F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > First visible scratch.. fix or not?
Extreme Powerhouse

04-16-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
bazan
Rep
Drives: 2014 328GT Sport

First visible scratch.. fix or not?

Hi ,

Just looking for opinions here... please see attached pics... would you guys fix the scratch (probably some shopping cart ding). Initially I thought can go through PDR (paintless Dent removal) .. but after sending over some pics they told me the whole bumper has to be refinished....i.e. repaint... resurface etc... for approx 500$ (plastic cannot use PDR)....and I will be out of the car for 3 days ... just asking because car is less than 1 yr old....if more than 2 years I probably don't need to ask.

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by bazan; 04-16-2015 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: pics missing
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

I never fix bumper scratches or dings. There will be more coming, so its not even worth it.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 10:39 PM   #3
lmcq784
Excited F34 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F34 (328iX GT M-Sport)

I agree with Mike... I have a couple of dings... but apparently, most people don't even notice, unless you own and baby your car... (any of us!)

It'll just keep coming, as long as you don't have privately enclosed parking spaces everywhere you go, and especially if you actually do anything with you car anywhere near places with shopping carts.

I got my F34 for the versatility... to use my car. I love to keep the rest of the car as perfect as possible, within my power... but a small bumper ding.. that's just going to happen again the day after you get it freshly fixed. Unless it's a very noticeable gouge, I'd leave it alone.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Id leave that alone, its not that visible. As others have said, more will come so don't stress about it, i would just wait until someone does damage with their and then go through that persons insurance.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I fix scratches as they occur. Most only extend through the clear coat, so they can be fixed easily with spray clear coat. You then wet sand a bit with 2000 grit and then rub it out with compound and polish for an invisible repair. With a small area you rub it out by hand, no buffer required.
However, the best offense is a good defense. Protection film over the bumpers is well worth the price.
Where a full on bumper dent is concerned it won't be the last, so I wouldn't bother fixing it until the day came that I was ready to sell the car, or it took a good enough hit to get insurance to pay for it. OTOH if I had to park daily on city streets I'd have these in place:
https://www.parkingarmor.com/Gallery...mper_guard.jpg

BTW, your dent might come out with little effort. Heat it up with a hairdryer, being careful not to melt it, then spray it with a can of compressed air as used to clean computer keyboards. It may return to shape.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2015, 08:14 AM   #6
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Bill, unless you buy rather expensive clear, its going to yellow over time.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

This is more of a dent than a scratch. The paint does not appear to be damaged. While I do not recommend in this case, it's possible to push out dents in the plastic bumper cover by heating it up and pushing from the opposite side. But a narrow range between getting the plastic soft enough to reshape and damaging the paint.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
I use this, been doing so for over ten years, never had any yellowing yet:
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spr...clearcoat.aspx
The key to success is to use as little as possible, you just want to fill the scratch. The sanding and rubbing out is key to make the repair invisible.
I've also used their base colors for major repairs, the colors match perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
bazan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I fix scratches as they occur. Most only extend through the clear coat, so they can be fixed easily with spray clear coat. You then wet sand a bit with 2000 grit and then rub it out with compound and polish for an invisible repair. With a small area you rub it out by hand, no buffer required.
However, the best offense is a good defense. Protection film over the bumpers is well worth the price.
Where a full on bumper dent is concerned it won't be the last, so I wouldn't bother fixing it until the day came that I was ready to sell the car, or it took a good enough hit to get insurance to pay for it. OTOH if I had to park daily on city streets I'd have these in place:
https://www.parkingarmor.com/Gallery...mper_guard.jpg

BTW, your dent might come out with little effort. Heat it up with a hairdryer, being careful not to melt it, then spray it with a can of compressed air as used to clean computer keyboards. It may return to shape.
Billfitz- Please elaborate on the compressed air... your version of it ... I have read somewhere some think it is useless..I have already tried the glue gun method... and only helps a little. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #10
bazan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
This is more of a dent than a scratch. The paint does not appear to be damaged. While I do not recommend in this case, it's possible to push out dents in the plastic bumper cover by heating it up and pushing from the opposite side. But a narrow range between getting the plastic soft enough to reshape and damaging the paint.
I hear you kbsilver... not sure how to get to the otherside to push it out without fully disassemble many things...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #11
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazan View Post
Billfitz- Please elaborate on the compressed air... your version of it ... I have read somewhere some think it is useless..I have already tried the glue gun method... and only helps a little. Thanks.
The plastic is molded into a specific shape. It wants to be in that shape. So if you get it hot (hairdryer) and then shock it with the cold (compressed air), it should try to return to that shape.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
The plastic is molded into a specific shape. It wants to be in that shape. So if you get it hot (hairdryer) and then shock it with the cold (compressed air), it should try to return to that shape.
+1, and the same applies to the sheet metal. You just have to be sure not to overdo it with the heat.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 05:29 AM   #13
BrasWien
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d xDrive GT Modern Lines

If you keep your car dirt nobody will notice it! (just kidding)

Yesterday I took the car to bmw to have the winter tyres changed and while I waited I saw two interesting things: small bottles of original paint colour and paint stickers for scratches (DIY products). I dont'n know wether they're good or not, but at least they're bmw originals.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 07:17 AM   #14
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
3m, Expel and suntek don't tend to yellow - well at least in the 2-5 years I've had them and left them outside.

Protective paint film is a good, saving mine from a gate bashing into the bumper, no stone chips, no shopping scratches on the boot. I've now got it covering the side doors so no door to door scratches - though it won't save dinging

With the expel and suntek they are self healing, so a bit of sunshine removes the swirl/light scratches etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #15
bazan
Rep

update: after trying compressed air/hairdryer

Hi,

for those who are interested to know...I tried using the hairdryer/compressed air method a couple of times attached is the results... not sure if this is psychological... but it seems to have done something and make the dent less obvious. Thought I post the pics for everyone judgement in case if anyone is deciding on whether the method works or not. This is after around 5-6 times heat/cool routine.

I wonder if I should keep doing it or will I be overdoing it? I may also try the glue gun to see if I can clear out the rest of the imperfections... but seems like whatever remaining may not be a dent , but rather the thin layer of paint got pushed down.

Also anyone knows of a bumper sill guard for the 3GT (I think I have seen it for the 5GT but not for the 3GT), that also may help to cover the imperfections . As it stands right now I don't think I will take it the shop to refinish the bumper.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-19-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep

I've been looking for a sill guard for a while. Nothing precut available. Lamin-X says I can cut their stuff to fit.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #17
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also anyone knows of a bumper sill guard for the 3GT (I think I have seen it for the 5GT but not for the 3GT), that also may help to cover the imperfections . As it stands right now I don't think I will take it the shop to refinish the bumper.
Looks good to me. On the sill a 6x38 inch piece of 3M film will work. You need to put a radius cut on one edge, 1 1/2 inches deep. Do it with a 4 foot aluminum straight edge, set on edge. Use screws driven into the cutting board at either end of the film to hold the ends of the straight edge, bend the middle to 1 1/2 inches, screw a stop block behind the straight edge to hold it in place, cut the film with the straight edge as a guide.
Applying film isn't difficult, you can find many youtube tuturials. But buy enough to do it twice, as the first attempt will probably be just a learning experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #18
minImANia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 > E84 > F34

Bazan, the dent is less obvious after the fix! What tool did you use for the compressed air?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #19
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minImANia View Post
Bazan, the dent is less obvious after the fix! What tool did you use for the compressed air?
Use computer keyboard air spray. When sprayed it's quite cold.
For severe dents body shops use an industrial heat gun and then a plastic bag filled with dry ice (frozen CO2) or liquid nitrogen, but you need experience to do that without making it worse rather than better.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #20
bazan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minImANia View Post
Hi ... like Billfitz mentioned... just regular compressed air (for keyboard dusting)... just make sure you spray it upside down...after heating the area up with a dryer....

On the other hand... I am just wondering if it is worthwhile to do this a couple more times or if it will damage the paint.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #21
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On the other hand... I am just wondering if it is worthwhile to do this a couple more times or if it will damage the paint.
I'd be more concerned about damaging the plastic. On the sheet metal it would be less of an issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 11:04 PM   #22
granCLop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi GT

Glad the dent is less noticeable. Great tips Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrasWien View Post
If you keep your car dirt nobody will notice it! (just kidding)
My car will stay dirty...within two months had a scraped bumper (hit&run) and door ding+dent both through the clear coat and paint, and plenty of stone chips on the hood. Last car's bumper got shredded from street parking, this one hasn't fared so well either garaged. When summer/fall rolls around will have to contend with acorn dents, bird crap, & tree sap at the grandparents'.
Appreciate 0