F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > OT - Aggressive drivers
Studio RSR

04-16-2015, 03:57 AM   #1
jimmyca69
First Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F85 X5M

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
OT - Aggressive drivers

Have noticed this a lot since taking delivery of the 335d.

Mostly tailgaters and traffic light grand prix wannabes which i'm not overly bothered about. But yesterday i had a number of instances where i just thought - this isnt normal.

Pootling to training in a quiet 30mph road (with central bollards every 200 yds) and a Skoda estate comes up behind me and proceeds to overtake me and then settles back to 30mph

When it gets to the national speed limits and the lanes in front he pootles at 50mph, not sure if wanting me to try and overtake but i wouldnt anyway as on the straights he weaved into road so no room

Then later than evening at lights a mini cooper pulls up behind me and then decides to change lanes and pull up along side me. He then proceeded to nail it off the lights and pull into my lane to then turn left.

Now i know there are complete idiot drivers, in my fiesta after i sold my Merc i noticed how drivers tried to bully you by tailgating etc but i thought the BMW may get treated with some respect

This is my first BMW so ultimately the question is this - do we all suffer this because we drive BMWs? I spoke to a friend who has one and he thought yes and i quote "they think we are all to$$ers so they do it to us before we can do it to them"
      04-16-2015, 04:12 AM   #2
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 LCI Monte Carlo Blue

Not sure how your car is still livered up, but it sounds a little like them trying to encourage you to 'race', as they know of the car's reputation. They could be car enthusiasts, regardless of what they drive (hot hatch or supermarket runabout) and just want to 'see what she can do'. My car is debadged, and I have ditched the twin exhaust or single, so no-one knows just how many ponies are trying to escape, and therefore gets no attention. Now my old S4 on the other hand, fully livered up and EVERYONE wanted a punt.

It's down to your common sense whether you want to engage for some fun or not. But sometimes, yes, the world is full of tossers, some days more than others! My car awaits repairs for the latter.....
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 04:35 AM   #3
bungle_78
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328

I don't get any issues in the 328. In my previous M135 everyone seemed to want a race or get past me.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 04:43 AM   #4
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Yes, people have a chip on their shoulders about pokey beemers.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 04:49 AM   #5
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I find that Skoda VRS cars are the worst, they are convinced they have a quick car "RS" but really they haven't.

Quite nice to show them sometimes...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 04:53 AM   #6
JB14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 320D MSport EBII

Yup had this a lot. Wish I'd gone for 6pot now as have to pick my battles wisely...!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 04:54 AM   #7
John435D
Recruit
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D m-sport, MG & Coral Red !

I don't really get many issues apart from the odd one mostly in 30 zones where I am doing 32 and others want to go faster and they end up tailgating.

When I'm driving on company business I follow speed limits (taking into account speedo error) as not getting a speeding ticket for driving at work, but I find most people keep a respectable distance on the motorway and such, but I am quite good at pulling into the left lane when possible etc. I thought that perhaps they see the badge and know if I wanted to go quickly then I would so they just wait for me to get out of the way.

Though last week I had a prick in a Jag xf who cut me up on the motorway for no reason I can think of other than I was in a BMW...cruised up behind in middle lane doing 10mph+ faster than me (I had cruise set to 74), then slowed to 1mph faster than me as he got to my rear bumper, then refused to pull into the clear 3rd lane as he crawled past me and I was approaching the rear of a wagon in the slow lane, even though I had indicator on etc. causing me to brake and pull in behind him where he then sped up to 80+ and pulled away.... no need whatsoever!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 06:21 AM   #8
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesca80 View Post
do we all suffer this because we drive BMWs?
Sorry, I think you are over-estimating the cachet of the BMW badge these days!

I think it's just that there are morons everywhere, and they don't particularly care what you're driving.

I'm with DTP1980 in that having a debadged estate I barely get anyone looking for a race, certainly much less so than when I was driving the Z4.

And if there is someone they soon realise it's not even a vaguely close competition, as those with cars faster then my car are actually on the whole pretty sensible drivers.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 06:37 AM   #9
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post

I think it's just that there are morons everywhere, and they don't particularly care what you're driving.

I'm with DTP1980 in that having a debadged estate I barely get anyone looking for a race, certainly much less so than when I was driving the Z4.

And if there is someone they soon realise it's not even a vaguely close competition, as those with cars faster then my car are actually on the whole pretty sensible drivers.
I think that whilst yes there are morons everywhere you tend to remember them better if they are in a distinctive brand. As only a BMW owner since January I still find myself muttering 'typical bloody BM driver' when you are not let out at a junction, or the car park is full because the X6 has taken up 3 spaces. I often associate Audi drivers with tailgating but in reality vans are worse, and white vans worse still

Anyway lads, since getting my car in January I'm trying to turn around your reputation single-handedly by letting people out of junctions and waving. I still over-take like a smug cock though.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #10
WullieD20
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewthefirst View Post
I'm trying to turn around your reputation single-handedly by letting people out of junctions and waving. I still over-take like a smug cock though.
Wot 'e said..... I get great enjoyment from doing the very opposite to what 'they' expect, especially when courtesy is involved . . . (and if the occasion arises just piss 'em off.... ha ha ha....)
You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....F36, 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport Auto; Tanzanite Blue; ACS springs, ACS engine tuning upgrade; ASC rear exhaust box (non-export). Need NRFs!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 07:10 AM   #11
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Not had too much of a problem in my 335 !!! But it's debadged and has body bits etc

Having said that you're always going to get some nobber who sees the BMW badge or 15 plate as a challenge to their inadequate manhood.

And yes occasionally I do wave my bigger pecker
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #12
Andy30D
Captain
British Antarctic Territory
Rep
Drives: 330D M sport fully loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Yes, people have a chip on their shoulders about pokey beemers.
They do indeed!

Had to put a Bmw 120d and 116i in its place yesterday and a poxy fiat 500 with a very large man 'wearing' it rather than sitting in it.

Safe to say my language was mainly laughter.

People have small man syndrome when a powerful/more upmarket car than there's is nearby
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #13
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I have no problems whatsoever. Mine is debadged and may as well be a 320 so far as the general public are aware - just how I like it.

I dont want to be pestered by wannabes in their chavvy Saxo's etc....

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 08:24 AM   #14
KevinLevin
General Motors
Rep
Drives: 430d M Sport + EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2
I find that Skoda VRS cars are the worst, they are convinced they have a quick car "RS" but really they haven't.

Quite nice to show them sometimes...
Exactly this.

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Previous - S5 Cabriolet - 442hp
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #15
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:

+2

Having a debadge F31 I find makes people stand back, even more so when I have work shirt on, it's Black with White embroidered writing over pocket.

People glance and panic, had a bloke yesterday almost dislocate his arm throwing his mobile.

People with faster cars tend to not race, they know they can demolish most things.

Obviously, I imagine it could get interesting when against a 'Stealth' DMS car.

I just don't bother , too many unmarked cars, uninsured drivers, unobservant drivers, knobs, etc etc.

I do hate people over taking me back in 30mph zones, does my head in.

No wonder I bike more often..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 09:00 AM   #16
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungle_78 View Post
I don't get any issues in the 328. In my previous M135 everyone seemed to want a race or get past me.
My 328i seems to attract a lot of unwanted attention, 9 times out of 10 I resist temtation to hoof it
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 09:16 AM   #17
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

I just stick my foot down, there can be no racing involved as they won't be able to see through all the soot!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 11:37 AM   #18
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Do you have estoril blue? I've definitely noticed since having mine that I get a lot more aggressive driving against me!

I'm going for a more subtle colour next time!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #19
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
Quote:

+2

Having a debadge F31 I find makes people stand back, even more so when I have work shirt on, it's Black with White embroidered writing over pocket.

People glance and panic, had a bloke yesterday almost dislocate his arm throwing his mobile.

People with faster cars tend to not race, they know they can demolish most things.

I just don't bother , too many unmarked cars, uninsured drivers, unobservant drivers, knobs, etc etc.

What I do t understand is why the opposite seems not be true.

The 335 d or I is likely to be more than a match for most cars on the road yet it doesn't seem to stop certain people with a clearly less powerful car from tailgating or trying to race or whatever.

Is it just simply that they are seeking to get a reaction or are they just delusional?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #20
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

What about the guys with the M3/M4's? I guess they have hassle all the time.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #21
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
+2

+3
Debadging is your friend.

Not even audi man bothers to race...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #22
r1cey
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesca80 View Post
Have noticed this a lot since taking delivery of the 335d.

Mostly tailgaters and traffic light grand prix wannabes which i'm not overly bothered about. But yesterday i had a number of instances where i just thought - this isnt normal.

Pootling to training in a quiet 30mph road (with central bollards every 200 yds) and a Skoda estate comes up behind me and proceeds to overtake me and then settles back to 30mph

When it gets to the national speed limits and the lanes in front he pootles at 50mph, not sure if wanting me to try and overtake but i wouldnt anyway as on the straights he weaved into road so no room

Then later than evening at lights a mini cooper pulls up behind me and then decides to change lanes and pull up along side me. He then proceeded to nail it off the lights and pull into my lane to then turn left.

Now i know there are complete idiot drivers, in my fiesta after i sold my Merc i noticed how drivers tried to bully you by tailgating etc but i thought the BMW may get treated with some respect

This is my first BMW so ultimately the question is this - do we all suffer this because we drive BMWs? I spoke to a friend who has one and he thought yes and i quote "they think we are all to$$ers so they do it to us before we can do it to them"

Ok, not got a 335d, but a personal hate of mine is tailgaters, and find women are much worse than men. Anytime someone gets too close, I simply stick cruise control to 30mph exactly, just to piss them off (and depending on the car, switch to sport mode, to "arm" mine :-) ok only a 320i, but no slouch, and if I do floor it, then they need to be doing silly figures to get past me!!).

If I'm in my wife's car, and being tailgated, I dab the brakes until they get the message, applying greater brake pressure each time (almost emergency braked on one muppet!)
Appreciate 0