F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 2015 328i xDrive first oil change
GetBMWParts

04-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
thornfrog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328i xDrive sedan

2015 328i xDrive first oil change

So I did my first oil change at 2400 mile. I have never done any car maintenance before so it was a bit scary to lay underneath my vehicle but the process itself was easy enough.

First of all, front center jacking point in the 1st picture.

2nd picture shows front differential (not sure) and drain plug. I wasn't expecting a steel drain plug cause I thought what I'm going to unscrew is a plastic plug (8 Nm) as shown in the last picture.

3rd picture shows the steel drain plug(part# 11137535106) close up. It's 17mm.

4th picture shows a plastic drain plug I was expecting. I guess it's for 328i rwd ? and mine is 328i xDrive.

I added 5 quarts, drove for a while until oil is at operating temperature to measure oil level, and after measurement my iDrive says my oil level is Max.
Attached Images

Last edited by thornfrog; 04-05-2015 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: adding a realoem link
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #2
jwilly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: They're all white now.

Yes, plastic drain plug is for the 328i.
As you have a metal oil pan, versus the plastic one on the 328i, the replacement filter for the xi comes with a new crush washer and you reuse the metal drain plug.
If I were you, I'd keep an eye on the plastic plug for leaks and ensure that it has not loosened. If you did not toss the metal drain plug, replace it next time you change the oil.
If you really feel uncomfortable with the plastic plug, drain the oil and replace the plug now.

Joel

That's a lot of white
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
thornfrog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328i xDrive sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilly View Post
Yes, plastic drain plug is for the 328i.
As you have a metal oil pan, versus the plastic one on the 328i, the replacement filter for the xi comes with a new crush washer and you reuse the metal drain plug.
If I were you, I'd keep an eye on the plastic plug for leaks and ensure that it has not loosened. If you did not toss the metal drain plug, replace it next time you change the oil.
If you really feel uncomfortable with the plastic plug, drain the oil and replace the plug now.

Joel
I didn't use the plastic plug. I reused the metal drain plug with a new crush washer.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 08:46 AM   #4
Kermit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive Shadow Edition

Thank you! You've just confirmed that I'm not going mad. I was looking for a removable flap or access cover to get at the oil sump plug, but there isn't one... Just an oval gap with what looks suspiciously like the oil plug just like yours. All the videos I've watched show them unscrewing covers and the like. Nice one.
Appreciate 0