THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Front Grills and PDC Sensor

03-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
Scubadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Front Grills and PDC Sensor

So the left center PDC sensor on my four month old M235i appears to have taken a direct hit from a rock and BMW wants to charge $600 ($200 for part, $400 for labor) to replace it. That was negotiated down from original estimate of $800 ($300 for part, $500 for labor). Dealer says bumper must be removed to change the sensor.

So, a couple of questions...

Did anyone replacing the grills on their 2 series happen to notice if those center PDC sensors could be accessed with the grill removed. That appears to be possible with some recent 3 series experiences I saw online. Hell, I figured I could destructively remove the old grill (I've read those threads) and replace it with a new grill myself and save a pile of money. Painted BMW sensors are available for $180 online.

Any experience with sensors ordered direct from China? They're $25, but are unpainted. I assume I can buy a spray can of Estoril Blue touch up paint, and it would look fine without an up close inspection.

Thoughts?

Bob
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 07:39 AM   #2
Glassjaw047
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i Estoril Blue II

Where did you find these sensors for $25? Link?
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4XE Summit Reserve (Current)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
BoomWasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglesre View Post
Did anyone replacing the grills on their 2 series happen to notice if those center PDC sensors could be accessed with the grill removed.
I was replacing my grills yesterday and tried to reach front PDC sensor. I could get to it with grill removed, probably can even unscrew it. Not sure if I would be able to connect any wires, because there is absolutely zero visibility. Maybe if you can get a phone o GoPro camera inside you can replace it.

Try it. It takes <10 minutes to get the grill out.
Appreciate 0