THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) XPEL Ultimate or 3M ???

03-23-2015, 08:28 PM   #1
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

XPEL Ultimate or 3M ???

I have an EB2 M235i on order and expect it to be delivered in mid april. A lot of people on the forum recommended that I should get a clear coat or XPEL Ultimate installed on the car to protect it from scratches and rocks.

I live in Vista which is ~30 miles north of San Diego and was wondering if there is somebody else who has gotten this done who could tell me which is the best place (Quality of Work & Price) in my area and what options are available to me. An estimate on the cost for these would also be helpful.

I am picking up my car from Santa Barbara so if there is anything in that area, I can probably drop in on way back to get this done.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Gatte: XPEL cannot get wet during the first 48 hours after installation.
      03-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

My installer had both Xpel and 3M available and strongly recommended Xpel due to superior colorlessness and durability and 10 year warranty. The Xpel is so colorless, the edge can be visually lost at times. I paid $1100 in Michigan for full front fascia, head/fog lamps, mirror caps, and half-hood and front fenders. Excellent outcome.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
My installer had both Xpel and 3M available and strongly recommended Xpel due to superior colorlessness and durability and 10 year warranty. The Xpel is so colorless, the seam can be visually lost at times. I paid $1100 in Michigan for full front fascia, head/fog lamps, mirror caps, and half-hood and front fenders. Excellent outcome.
1100 $ is a lot. What is the cost and warranty on the 3M ??.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
1100 $ is a lot. What is the cost and warranty on the 3M ??.
Same price, half the warranty on 3M (5 years), and a slight increase in yellowish tone. California may be more competitive but this was a low price among shops here as they added very little to the basic $995 to add the lamps.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #6
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Same price, half the warranty on 3M (5 years), and a slight increase in yellowish tone. California may be more competitive but this was a low price among shops here as they added very little to the basic $995 to add the lamps.
Ok. I still have time to think over this but I think I'll go with it. This does not include anything in the back or the sides which could also probably get scratched when someone passes you or you're driving on some backroads.

I wonder if a lot of people get this done.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:50 PM   #7
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
Gatte: XPEL cannot get wet during the first 48 hours after installation.
I won't get it wet. Cali is in a major drought. I will check conditions before getting it done.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:56 PM   #8
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Yep, Xpel is the best choice. I have it on all my cars.
      03-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #9
jrbundy
Rep
Drives: M235i EB/Terra

I just picked up my car today from Modern Image off Miramar Rd. I had some Xpel clear bra and Modesta coating done. IIRC prices for fender forward was ~$2100 for custom and $1900 if a kit was used for the bumper. I might have also heard ~$1650 for the fender forward using all kit pieces. Bumper, headlights, full hood was ~$1200. They seem to have a good reputation, and I liked working with them. They had a lot of high-end cars in there every time I stopped by. I can get you in touch with the shop manager. It took about a week for me to get the work done.

They'll work with you on a package, but I would expect anything from ~$900 for just the bumper to close to $2k for windshield forward.

JB
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #10
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbundy View Post
I just picked up my car today from Modern Image off Miramar Rd. I had some Xpel clear bra and Modesta coating done. IIRC prices for fender forward was ~$2100 for custom and $1900 if a kit was used for the bumper. I might have also heard ~$1650 for the fender forward using all kit pieces. Bumper, headlights, full hood was ~$1200. They seem to have a good reputation, and I liked working with them. They had a lot of high-end cars in there every time I stopped by. I can get you in touch with the shop manager. It took about a week for me to get the work done.

They'll work with you on a package, but I would expect anything from ~$900 for just the bumper to close to $2k for windshield forward.

JB
Thanks for the descriptive reply. I am really not well versed with the terms that you just used. I am assuming that the XPEL clear coat with Modesta coating is the same as XPEL Ultilate.
It is sufficient to just get the 1200 package right or should we go for the 1650 package. I don't know what the risk is and if it's worth the price. You can get your car repainted for a little over 2000$
Still confused about whether to get it or not. I asked a lot of people at work who said they've never gotten it done and two of them owns a Tesla Model S and a 2013 Porsche Carrera 4S.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #11
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Thanks for the descriptive reply. I am really not well versed with the terms that you just used. I am assuming that the XPEL clear coat with Modesta coating is the same as XPEL Ultilate.
It is sufficient to just get the 1200 package right or should we go for the 1650 package. I don't know what the risk is and if it's worth the price. You can get your car repainted for a little over 2000$
Still confused about whether to get it or not. I asked a lot of people at work who said they've never gotten it done and two of them owns a Tesla Model S and a 2013 Porsche Carrera 4S.
Protection is up to you v. the damage that could be done. Its not about one repaint, but for every chip, are you willing to pay $400-500 to have it fixed?

For me, the XPEL was worth it. It is so clear and thin you cannot tell if it is there unless you look for it. I also track, so the protection is great for road debris to protect the lights and front bumper from road rash.
      03-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #12
Gatte
Major
Rep

I was just looking at a thread on Bimmerfest where people were spending 700 $ for just the front bumpers, lights, partial hood, partial fenders, door handles, trunk lip and mirrors. For 1200 they got the whole car covered and without the edges even being visible.

Have the prices gone up (Almost doubled) in just the last 2 years ??.

The above was for 3 and 5 series and for XPEL Ultimate.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #13
jrbundy
Rep

Quote:
Sorry - Modesta is a clear coating that is meant to help protect the clear coat from etching or stains. It also gives a high gloss finish that should also be easier to clean. I got it mostly to ease the cleaning/detailing work. The clear bra is more to protect from scratches and chips. I got that in the more-likely-to-be-damaged areas - bumper, rocker panel, mirror caps, fender areas, rear bumper by the trunk, by the door handles, and the edges of the door.

If you go to the shop and talk with them, or give them a call, they will go over some options and try to fit your budget. Maybe upsell a little, too.

I don't know how much it costs to repaint. You should consider whether you would rather repaint, have the original paint protected, or live with some potential chips.

JB
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #14
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

I have tried all 3 major brands on different cars. I currently have Suntek on my M235i, had XPEL on my GTR and had 3M on my STi. I would say that the XPEL not only held up better, looked glossier, but it also didn't bubble as much or peel around edges. Go with XPEL, its worth the price.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #15
jrbundy
Rep

I also got a quote from Autoshield in Kearny Mesa to check the price. Their sports package was $1695, maybe plus tax. It covered front bumper, headlights, full hood, fenders, mirrors, rocker panels, and rear wheel arches. They used a kit, which means they cut a pattern and apply it so the edges aren't always rolled underneath. That price was in the same ballpark as the kit from Modern Image, but I didn't know what type of work they did while I saw a lot of feedback from Modern Image.

All of the quotes were for XPEL Ultimate.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:31 PM   #16
inktomi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 EBII M235i

How much damage do these clear bras actually protect against? Realistically?

I want to spend the money, but it's a lot of money.. I've been quoted $1200 for the entire front+hood for XPEL Ultimate - not chump change! I keep going back and forth...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:35 PM   #17
Gatte
Major
Rep

So I'm going to get XPWL ultimate if I get this done. I saw the reviews too and modern image did have the better reviews and will probably be where I get mine done if I get it done in San Diego. Now I've got to decide with what package to get and how much to spend.

Is there anyone from LA who can chime in as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #18
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi View Post
How much damage do these clear bras actually protect against? Realistically?

I want to spend the money, but it's a lot of money.. I've been quoted $1200 for the entire front+hood for XPEL Ultimate - not chump change! I keep going back and forth...
Yeah and nobody seems to have gotten it done. it is almost the same price as getting the leather option in the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:50 PM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I don't know what the risk is and if it's worth the price. You can get your car repainted for a little over 2000$
The decision really doesn't relate to how many others have done it nor the price/segment of their vehicle. Your personal decision either way makes most sense based on your tolerance for paint chips and how important it is to keep the original paint from the factory. If you don't mind having paint chips and/or repairs, protective film may not be the best value for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:51 PM   #20
jrbundy
Rep

Quote:
The decision really doesn't relate to how many others have done it nor the price/segment of their vehicle. Your personal decision either way makes most sense based on your tolerance for paint chips and how important it is to keep the original paint from the factory. If you don't mind having paint chips and/or repairs, protective film may not be the best value for you.
That is true. I had a truck for 13 years. When I sold it, I noticed a lot of chips all over. I decided that I did not want to get my new car repainted and even if I did, I did not want to live with chips until the right time to repaint. Even then, once it is repainted, you're in the same position with a non-original paint job.

So I got film applied over part of it. It might not protect everything, but it should help the areas the are most likely to get chipped. It also might just be in my head.

At the end of the day, you need to decide what it is worth to you. You can think of it as a kind of insurance for your paint, and decide that way.

JB
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 12:04 AM   #21
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Call Chris at CE mobile detailing in San Diego. He will do the Xpel for much less than what you've been quoted.
Tell him Rami with the E36 M3 and the GTI referred you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 01:16 AM   #22
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
I'm going with XPEL otherwise I know I'll regret it
Appreciate 0